2010 anyone?

HawkeyeGunner

Ok, the more I see all the preseason accolades and everything for the 2016 season, the more I think of 2010. We had Stanzi, Vandervelde, Mc Nutt and the Defense with Clayborn, Klug, Ballard and Daniels. during that season. We have the same thing this year. What makes the difference? Why aren't more people holding back and being cautious? I know I wasn't expecting 12-0 last year and I know this year I would be happy with 9-3 so... I think Minny, scUM, and the little brother game against isu have me nervous.

Ok, the more I see all the preseason accolades and everything for the 2016 season, the more I think of 2010. We had Stanzi, Vandervelde, Mc Nutt and the Defense with Clayborn, Klug, Ballard and Daniels. during that season. We have the same thing this year. What makes the difference? Why aren't more people holding back and being cautious? I know I wasn't expecting 12-0 last year and I know this year I would be happy with 9-3 so... I think Minny, scUM, and the little brother game against isu have me nervous.

A Kirkism here, but look at the games lost in 2010. Played in Pacific time zone at night in stifling heat at Arizona and still barely lost. I attended that game and it was hot, dry heat or not and we shall not play in that zone again shy of a bowl game. Then Wisconsin game .... fake damn punt that hurt for years. Ohio State game and inability to stop QB on 4th and long that would have iced it. Just shows one or two plays in each of those games goes the other way and 2010 is viewed much differently. Then Minnesota game where they just looked flat from Ohio State loss but still almost beat the Gophers up there.

We suffered some huge injuries to our linebackers in 2010, and thus were playing some true freshmen (Morris). Barring key injuries, 2016 will be better....must keep Beathard free of serious injury!!!

The one area that makes me more comfortable is leadership. Nobody in 2010 stepped up to take the place of Angerer and Edds as the team leaders. This season is far different. Iowa has had some great team leaders in the last 15+ years but KF rarely has Jr team captains. CJ was captain as a Jr and JJ is a Jr captain this year. That tells me these guys are on a different level. Plus you have King who turned down few million to come back for his Sr season. If you can't follow these guys and play hard, I'm not sure who they can follow.

If we lose to the clowns this year their fan base will use that for ten years to proclaim they're the best.
Note: I said if we lose to the clowns. They never beat us.

No two seasons are the same... I see the similarities of the two teams. However I don't have the glass half empty way of looking at it at all.
I'll start at the top. CJ isn't Stanzi. If he's healthy I just have a very tough time seeing Iowa lose more then 3 games this year. He's a big time talent and leader that this team has just gravitated to. That's the floor I think. Iowa's Oline has been very highly touted and with Daniels, Wadley, Mitchell I think they'll have their way in the running game even more so then last yr. I can't wait to see more of Wadley I think that guy is going to blow up this yr. I just think if the combination of Scheel and J Smith can step up and be decent this offense is going to really click. Think about it T Smith only had 29 catches and 4 tds last yr... That's it. If those two can match what he and Hillyer did (17 catches and 0 tds) then there you go... Now can the combination of Kittle and whomever (Wisnewski, Pekar, or freshman emergence) match last yrs TE production and block as well that's a legit question. But I don't see it being a make or break of the season type of deal. Overall this years offense if healthy I think will be even better then last year.

Defense isn't even remotely a worry. Front 4 is very solid. I think the Nelsons will be an upgrade over Meir. And the other spots we already know about they'll be a year better. The LBs have a ton of talent with Jewel and Bower both back. Mends is a bit of a question mark but I've heard he's a heck of an athlete and weight room warrior so I'm not too worried about him either. And our secondary is well just plain awesome. Only thing I wish was that Fleming wouldn't have transferred. His depth would have been really nice to have but if these guys stay healthy it would have been mostly for special teams and a luxury...

The one area I would say is up for debate is all of special teams (except returns if King is back at it again) I hope Iowa wins games by more then one possession because I just don't know what to expect from the kicking game...

As with any year...injuries will play a big part. Stay healthy and 9-3 should be the floor. Also it will be interesting to see how the special teams play is this year. Helped tremendously last season.

2010 Team may have had some 'distractions' from the love of some wacky tobacky (heard talk from inside sources), I don't believe this team will have that problem....

2010 was 8-4. That would be a disappointing year IMHO

As with any year...injuries will play a big part. Stay healthy and 9-3 should be the floor. Also it will be interesting to see how the special teams play is this year. Helped tremendously last season.
Yep. Consider the injuries we had last season. CJ-hernia, Canzeri & Daniels-ankels, 2 or 3 Olinemen hurt, TSmith missed a couple of games, Ott... who else?

Injuries at LB hurt that team, but they also hurt themselves and our coaching staff appeared to lose control. Clayborn was way too heavy at 280 or whatever he was and all I remember is seeing him and Ballard gasping for air on the sidelines. Granted that team had trouble giving up sustained drives, but there was definitely a leadership issue in guys being in sufficient cardio shape.

In 2010 speivey left early for the NFL. In 2016 King decided to stay.

There's the difference.

Spievey would've more than made up for every misfortune and circumstance the hawks encountered that season. There's little doubt at least from my viewpoint that his presence would've helped to circumvent every loss that year.

2010 was 8-4. That would be a disappointing year IMHO

7-5 actually. That's why the season was so disapointing. Team started out in top 10 and some thought Iowa had a legitimate shot at a national championship. That's why the season was so disapointing. One close loss after another where Iowa kept blowing late leads, plus a close win against a bad Indiana team. That's why 2010 was the ultimate disapointing season. Expectations were really high and the season just completely fell apart, especially in the 2nd half.

Now Iowa did come back and beat a good Mizzou team in the Insight bowl, which saved the season from total embarrassment, but they almost blew that game too until Micah Hyde saved the day with a pick-6 in the 4Q.

Spievey would've more than made up for every misfortune and circumstance the hawks encountered that season. There's little doubt at least from my viewpoint that his presence would've helped to circumvent every loss that year.

Jewel Hampton not getting hurt could have changed things too. It's crazy how close we were to 3 unbelievable years in a row '08-'10. 4 stupid close losses in '08, StanzI getting hurt or Greene staying in '09, and Spivey leaving and injuries in '10. With the right breaks, it could have been three 0-1 loss years in a row. The recruiting from that would have made those down years never happen after those years too.

The '10 season fell apart when Neilsen/Tarp got hurt. You had 4 pros + Binns on the D-line and it still wasn't enough to overcome the loss of those linebackers. Morris eventually figured it out, but he was over his head a good chunk of that 2010 season.

The 2016 season begins and ends with CJB......he's gotta stay healthy. I realize I am stating the obvious, but it is true. This team reminds me of the '03 team, a really good defense and the offense just needs to give you just enough to win games.

No two seasons are the same... I see the similarities of the two teams. However I don't have the glass half empty way of looking at it at all.
I'll start at the top. CJ isn't Stanzi. If he's healthy I just have a very tough time seeing Iowa lose more then 3 games this year. He's a big time talent and leader that this team has just gravitated to. That's the floor I think. Iowa's Oline has been very highly touted and with Daniels, Wadley, Mitchell I think they'll have their way in the running game even more so then last yr. I can't wait to see more of Wadley I think that guy is going to blow up this yr. I just think if the combination of Scheel and J Smith can step up and be decent this offense is going to really click. Think about it T Smith only had 29 catches and 4 tds last yr... That's it. If those two can match what he and Hillyer did (17 catches and 0 tds) then there you go... Now can the combination of Kittle and whomever (Wisnewski, Pekar, or freshman emergence) match last yrs TE production and block as well that's a legit question. But I don't see it being a make or break of the season type of deal. Overall this years offense if healthy I think will be even better then last year.

Defense isn't even remotely a worry. Front 4 is very solid. I think the Nelsons will be an upgrade over Meir. And the other spots we already know about they'll be a year better. The LBs have a ton of talent with Jewel and Bower both back. Mends is a bit of a question mark but I've heard he's a heck of an athlete and weight room warrior so I'm not too worried about him either. And our secondary is well just plain awesome. Only thing I wish was that Fleming wouldn't have transferred. His depth would have been really nice to have but if these guys stay healthy it would have been mostly for special teams and a luxury...

The one area I would say is up for debate is all of special teams (except returns if King is back at it again) I hope Iowa wins games by more then one possession because I just don't know what to expect from the kicking game...

Totally agree with your analysis. Avoid injuries and don't have any boneheaded clock management issues or allow any critical fake punts, well then 11-1 is not out of the question and with a little luck on our side maybe 12-0 again. The game against Michigan is going to be HUGE and the stadium will be ROCKING!!!

Injuries at LB hurt that team, but they also hurt themselves and our coaching staff appeared to lose control. Clayborn was way too heavy at 280 or whatever he was and all I remember is seeing him and Ballard gasping for air on the sidelines. Granted that team had trouble giving up sustained drives, but there was definitely a leadership issue in guys being in sufficient cardio shape.
I think the real problem with those guys being so winded all time was that they had no body on the bench to relieve them. Those 4 plus Binns and that was it. Clayborn was in the best shape of his life, but still, you've got to get a break once in a while, and he didn't.

Totally agree with your analysis. Avoid injuries and don't have any boneheaded clock management issues or allow any critical fake punts, well then 11-1 is not out of the question and with a little luck on our side maybe 12-0 again. The game against Michigan is going to be HUGE and the stadium will be ROCKING!!!
I totally think the sky is the limit again. The biggest if is health to me. If they stay healthy I have a tough time seeing them not playing well enough to roll through their schedule. Of course Michigan will be tough. PSU, Nebraska should be better. But darn it so are we...

Jewel Hampton not getting hurt could have changed things too. It's crazy how close we were to 3 unbelievable years in a row '08-'10. 4 stupid close losses in '08, StanzI getting hurt or Greene staying in '09, and Spivey leaving and injuries in '10. With the right breaks, it could have been three 0-1 loss years in a row. The recruiting from that would have made those down years never happen after those years too.

I believe all three teams from 08-10 were the equivalent of 10-3 teams. The 2008 team (2-4) and 2010 team(2-5) lost more close games than the won. The 2009 team was somewhat lucky in close games.

If all 3 teams were around .500 in close games, they all would have finished 10-3.

Latest posts