’20 NC SG Carson McCorkle Enjoys First Look at Iowa

I really do think Ulis would have been a hawk had Kentucky not come calling. Not even considering Calipari's propensity for cheating and known cases of providing impermissible benefits. I am sure that Kentucky having 5 starting spots to fill was the tipping point. Otherwise that kid was a hawk.

He said he was going to Michigan State if it wasn't for the Kentucky offer

I think it is wise for Fran to jump in early on these tops recruits. Hopefully the parent are good people and teach loyalty and integrity unlike that QB from Auburn whose parents tried to sale out their son to the highest bidder.

Having said that I didn't bother to go watch the game film of an eight grader as he will grow taller and stronger. When he becomes a junior in high school and says he is very high on Iowa and Fran then I will sneak a peek of some of his film. Till then you go Fran, you go!!!

I think it is wise for Fran to jump in early on these tops recruits. Hopefully the parent are good people and teach loyalty and integrity unlike that QB from Auburn whose parents tried to sale out their son to the highest bidder.

Having said that I didn't bother to go watch the game film of an eight grader as he will grow taller and stronger. When he becomes a junior in high school and says he is very high on Iowa and Fran then I will sneak a peek of some of his film. Till then you go Fran, you go!!!

Don't deprive yourself. What he does as an eighth grader is better than what 75% of college kids are doing. He has one of the best handles I have ever seen for a kid his age. Oh and he fricking dunks.

I really do think Ulis would have been a hawk had Kentucky not come calling. Not even considering Calipari's propensity for cheating and known cases of providing impermissible benefits. I am sure that Kentucky having 5 starting spots to fill was the tipping point. Otherwise that kid was a hawk.
Agreed, I always felt that part of the reason he was under recruited was his height, but likely why he went to Kentucky. It was the only way he thought he'd see the NBA.

Don't deprive yourself. What he does as an eighth grader is better than what 75% of college kids are doing. He has one of the best handles I have ever seen for a kid his age. Oh and he fricking dunks.

If he doesn't grow he might not be a "blue-chipper". He's great for his age but sometimes kids catch up. Point being if you think this kid is going to end up as a top 40 type player you may find yourself disappointed.

If he doesn't grow he might not be a "blue-chipper". He's great for his age but sometimes kids catch up. Point being if you think this kid is going to end up as a top 40 type player you may find yourself disappointed.

I will make a 100 wager with you right now. I will even up the ante. I bet he is top 20. This kid's game is only going to expand and he is only going to grow and get stronger.

I will make a 100 wager with you right now. I will even up the ante. I bet he is top 20. This kid's game is only going to expand and he is only going to grow and get stronger.

I don't care to wager on something that's 3 years away. I do like his tape, if he gets into the 6'5 range he will have a chance.

If he were a sure fire top 20 guy, I'd imagine more schools would be on him, but I hope you and Fran are right.

Agreed, I always felt that part of the reason he was under recruited was his height, but likely why he went to Kentucky. It was the only way he thought he'd see the NBA.
Isaiah Thomas (Celtics) went to Washington, a P5 school but not Kentucky. 5'9" guys don't need to go to a blue blood to be noticed by the NBA.

If current recruiting success (other than the rampant, clandestine cheating) of recruiting talent mostly involves the influence of peers at camps and other traveling teams...Iowa is in a good position with Fran's kids on the recruiting and friendship trail...

High level talent makes coaches look brilliant...

Pretty impressive looking kid... Damn. When I was that age I could catch and shoot. That was about it. Being able to do everything he can with the ball not to mention dunk off 2 steps for being 6'1 is pretty darn athletic. Is he going to grow some more yet? Sky's the limit for him. However so will his options and he's got sooo long to go yet till he signs anything could happen.

Say hello to AAU ball. AAU sucks at teaching kids the fundamental aspects of half court offense, but it is great developing kid's overall game with aspects like dribbling, step back shots, post moves etc.. These kids are way ahead of kid's game back when I was a kid in the 1980's.

Say hello to AAU ball. AAU sucks at teaching kids the fundamental aspects of half court offense, but it is great developing kid's overall game with aspects like dribbling, step back shots, post moves etc.. These kids are way ahead of kid's game back when I was a kid in the 1980's.
No doubt. I grew up on a farm and probably had less then 1% of the gym time to practice/play then what these kids today have. They are in the gym hours and hours a day all year long be it games or practices. It's a different world now. If your not physically dominant then you need to develop your skills so that they make you stand out.

I don't care to wager on something that's 3 years away. I do like his tape, if he gets into the 6'5 range he will have a chance.

If he were a sure fire top 20 guy, I'd imagine more schools would be on him, but I hope you and Fran are right.

NC has zero scholarship offers for the 2020 class. We have 2. Does that mean that noone in the 2020 class is going to be top 20? Nope it only means that blue bloods can come in much later in the process and still get the studs. They don't have to scout HS freshman. Iowa on the other hand...well let's just say if I were Fran I would absolutely try to get to these kids as young as possible. Also there is no need for McCorkle to be 6'5. At 6'2 with that range of skills he is a sure fire top 20 recruit. I imagine he will grow at least 2 inches over the next 4 years. Only question mark here is will he stay healthy. 1 serious injury and he won't sniff the top 50. That's just how it goes. Sad to say but that might be the most likely scenario for McCorkle ever wearing the black and gold.

NC has zero scholarship offers for the 2020 class. We have 2. Does that mean that noone in the 2020 class is going to be top 20? Nope it only means that blue bloods can come in much later in the process and still get the studs. They don't have to scout HS freshman. Iowa on the other hand...well let's just say if I were Fran I would absolutely try to get to these kids as young as possible. Also there is no need for McCorkle to be 6'5. At 6'2 with that range of skills he is a sure fire top 20 recruit. I imagine he will grow at least 2 inches over the next 4 years. Only question mark here is will he stay healthy. 1 serious injury and he won't sniff the top 50. That's just how it goes. Sad to say but that might be the most likely scenario for McCorkle ever wearing the black and gold.

Agreed, so props for Fran to have the vision and having a longer relationship that's developed over a course of a couple years certainly can't hurt if the blue bloods come in later.