#20 CFP Rankings

Big ten teams in top 25

8. Wisc
12. MSU
13. OSU
14. PSU
20. Iowa
25. NW

No michigan in top 25, which makes sense to me.

ISU is #21

Iowa will have played 6 teams currently ranked after the Wiscy game. Not sure there's a team that's played more. Also the cross division games were the toughest possible.

SOS ranks 5th toughest in college football. Plus all our non conference opponents are already bowl eligible with a 18-9 overall record.

This ranking is so stupid (or at least calling it the playoff ranking).

Whats the point of ranking teams beyond the 6 or 7 that actually have a chance of making the playoff?

It'd be better (and more realistic) if they just called it "Another College Football Ranking."

SOS ranks 5th toughest in college football. Plus all our non conference opponents are already bowl eligible with a 18-9 overall record.

Add to that fact the close losses, virtually the last play with Penn State.

Iowa is the first 3 loss team listed in the ranking.

Whats the point of ranking teams beyond the 6 or 7 that actually have a chance of making the playoff?

It'd be better (and more realistic) if they just called it "Another College Football Ranking."

I think the point is, the protocol used to rank the teams...not necessarily that anyone below 7 or 8 is a real playoff contender.

I have always been for a more wider playoff format. 16,8,4,2 and 1 (Iowa). :D

I think the point is, the protocol used to rank the teams...not necessarily that anyone below 7 or 8 is a real playoff contender.

It’s full of bias and partiality. It used to be even worse before the four team playoff as it was based on supposition and conjecture. Let’s finally found out at the end of the year which football program is really the best AT THE END OF THE YEAR. For example let’s say that the Iowa win over Ohio State isn’t just a fluke and a young QB and OC have came of age. Due to early losses Iowa has no chance at the playoff system as it and yet in theory Iowa could be among the best football teams in the country and left sitting on the sidelines watching. If we give Wisconsin a thumping like we did Ohio State and then win out we would easily fall under a sixteen team playoff system. Will never happen as things currently stand.

It’s full of bias and partiality. It used to be even worse before the four team playoff as it was based on supposition and conjecture. Let’s finally found out at the end of the year which football program is really the best AT THE END OF THE YEAR. For example let’s say that the Iowa win over Ohio State isn’t just a fluke and a young QB and OC have came of age. Due to early losses Iowa has no chance at the playoff system as it and yet in theory Iowa could be among the best football teams in the country and left sitting on the sidelines watching. If we give Wisconsin a thumping like we did Ohio State and then win out we would easily fall under a sixteen team playoff system. Will never happen as things currently stand.

Well said. But I believe (or more accurately hope) an 8 team playoff may be in the cards for the CFP system in the next 5 to 10 years. (I am not sure thats really going out on a limb though :) as it has been talked about by media and the like)

Until they get to a system that uses math instead of a bunch of people's subjective opinions they're all bullpuckey. The AP, Coaches, CFP...they're all based 100% on people's opinion of who's better than who, and it's evident by how different the polls always are that no matter what the ranking is, it's always crap.

We'll never get to a scientific system because 1) no one will agree on the method, and 2) humans aren't capable of creating a system that won't give absurd resluts like the BCS.

It's like figure skating and gymnastics. The only thing you can prove is what a bunch of judges thought.

The only way to solve the question definitively is to have at least an 8 team playoff with the winners of the P5's + 3 at large spots with criteria spelled out before the season. There's no other way.

Last edited:

It adds to the drama of losing teams falling while winning teams staying put or possibly advancing towards a playoff game.

It adds to the drama of losing teams falling while winning teams staying put or possibly advancing towards a playoff game.
Then come out with a "ranking" of the 4 teams that'd make it to the hypothetical playoff if it were held that particular week.

You're never going to see a team debut at #24 in week 2 and slowly work their way up to #3 and make the playoffs.

Adding another useless poll just adds to the garbage that the Cowherds and Finebaums vomit about every week.

Then come out with a "ranking" of the 4 teams that'd make it to the hypothetical playoff if it were held that particular week.

You're never going to see a team debut at #24 in week 2 and slowly work their way up to #3 and make the playoffs.

Adding another useless poll just adds to the garbage that the Cowherds and Finebaums vomit about every week.
Would you change your mind if Iowa were to beat Wisky and vault to, let's say, 10th in the poll?

Would you change your mind if Iowa were to beat Wisky and vault to, let's say, 10th in the poll?
Nope. Because I know that Iowa has zero chance of making the CFP. It’s a fart in the wind.

Iowa is unranked in the Coaches, 20th in the CFP, and 24th in the AP. They’re all just a popularity contest with no objectivity.

In fairness to this argument, the Hawks almost did just that in 2015. If memory serves me right, we were outside the top 25 to begin that season and slowly made our way to #3 or #4 (my memory slightly hazy) and one play with thirty some odd seconds left in the game away from making the playoff that year. (so damn close).

But I would like to see the CFP expanded to 8 teams like you said. The excitement will still be there as teams try to jockey their way for the last three spots.

Guess what. When Iowa is a ranked team, in any polls, most of us fans really enjoy the attention. Maybe recruits do as well. And, I would guess the players are proud of it. So, yeah. Polls have lots of negatives. But, in the end, I think they are just fine.

The problem with all the polls is that they begin with pure speculation or credit for last year. Teams are placed based on where voters think they should be before they ever show what they have on the field. And while it's slowly balanced out by real wins and losses...some degree of that speculative bias is always reflected in the rankings.

I like the idea of a pure algorithm to rank teams, but there's always going to be some degree of bias as the criteria and methods will be selected by a human.

Last edited:

2014 OSU was ranked 16th in first CFP rankings. Finished 4th
2015 Oklahoma was ranked 15th in first CFP.
Finished 4th.

It matters. If you don’t want to listen to the discussions, then don’t.

Nope. Because I know that Iowa has zero chance of making the CFP. It’s a fart in the wind.

Iowa is unranked in the Coaches, 20th in the CFP, and 24th in the AP. They’re all just a popularity contest with no objectivity.
Why does that make you angry?

Latest posts