#20 CFP Rankings

Then come out with a "ranking" of the 4 teams that'd make it to the hypothetical playoff if it were held that particular week.

You're never going to see a team debut at #24 in week 2 and slowly work their way up to #3 and make the playoffs.

Adding another useless poll just adds to the garbage that the Cowherds and Finebaums vomit about every week.

The Cowherds and Finebaums will have things to vomit about even if they removed the polls. It's your choice to listen.

Why does that make you angry?

1. Because Fry has been complaining about us playing cupcakes all season, we can't let real life facts get in that way 2. Because only the playoffs matter now I guess? which is gonna be tough to appease more then 4 fan bases a year with that line of thinking and 3. The ONLY poll that actually matters, that lets teams play before they do the rankings, that is done by a committee of qualified people, not a computer, not by the biased media or coaches....in fact does NOT matter.

why even play am I right?

Let's get real, the only poll that matters now is the CFP poll. All others have 0 effect on any teams outcome. THE CFP poll has real effect on bowl slotting, tie breakers in conference etc. It's just that Iowa is ranked 20th in it that Fryowa thinks it's crap because he's spent all season telling us what a bad team this was.

Last edited:
Why does that make you angry?
You sound like the angry one, sweetie.

I just said I thought the polls were bullshit.
2014 OSU was ranked 16th in first CFP rankings. Finished 4th
2015 Oklahoma was ranked 15th in first CFP.
Finished 4th.

It matters. If you don’t want to listen to the discussions, then don’t.
If you don't want to listen to my opinions, then don't.

Last edited:
It's just that Iowa is ranked 20th in it that Fryowa thinks it's crap because he's spent all season telling us what a bad team this was.
You're getting emotional and dramatic about my posts again. I think the polls are all crap, not just the CFP.

It's a bunch of people sitting in a room deciding what teams are best with all of their biases and not using one shred of objectivity. Like I mentioned before, the only way to make it unbiased is to lay out requirements to get in the playoff before the season. Personally, I think 8 teams is the minimum to make it fair and that an 8 team bracket is feasible in NCAA football. I'm not mad one bit about Iowa being in the polls.

The problem with all the polls is that they begin with pure speculation or credit for last year. Teams are placed based on where voters think they should be before they ever show what they have on the field. And while it's slowly balanced out by real wins and losses...some degree of that speculative bias is always reflected in the rankings.

I like the idea of a pure algorithm to rank teams, but there's always going to be some degree of bias as the criteria and methods will be selected by a human.
Didn't they already try using a purely computer based method and it didn't turn out very well? I'm asking.

This ranking is so stupid (or at least calling it the playoff ranking).

Whats the point of ranking teams beyond the 6 or 7 that actually have a chance of making the playoff?

It'd be better (and more realistic) if they just called it "Another College Football Ranking."

Four teams make it to the CFP, but they are actually slotting the full NY6 bowls. Thus, rankings 1 through 12 are actually what to be looking for, especially for a team like UCF that is unbeaten but whose schedule will never be comparable to a P5 team as long as they remain a Group of 5 team in a "mid-tier" conference.

Utah certainly parlayed some BCS hype into a place in a P5 conference. UCF has a BCS win under their belt, and should they get into--and especially win--a NY6 bowl, the Frost-hype will only increase. If he stays there a few seasons, it probably means a p5 slot is already in the pipeline behind the scenes. (Let's face it, $EC and ACC would have no trouble shedding their newer members for a UCF, and Big XII would be right there to scoop them up with wide-open arms).

It's why Hawks fans should be paying attention right about now. Beat Wisconsin and the Hawks could move up several spots. With the added benefit of NOT having to play in B1GCG (unless NW and Wisconsin completely collapse), Hawks could feasibly slide into a NY6 bowl at 9-3. Will it happen? Probably not. But if the Hawks beat Wisconsin it gets very interesting for Hawk fans.

My guess is that Michigan/Michigan State/Ohio State/Penn State will have something to play for, as well :)

You sound like the angry one, sweetie.

I just said I thought the polls were bullshit.

If you don't want to listen to my opinions, then don't.
I’m happy to listen and use factual evidence to tell you why you are wrong. But you can just keep being angry.

You're getting emotional and dramatic about my posts again. I think the polls are all crap, not just the CFP.

It's a bunch of people sitting in a room deciding what teams are best with all of their biases and not using one shred of objectivity. Like I mentioned before, the only way to make it unbiased is to lay out requirements to get in the playoff before the season. Personally, I think 8 teams is the minimum to make it fair and that an 8 team bracket is feasible in NCAA football. I'm not mad one bit about Iowa being in the polls.
I’m curious how you plan on doing that with 130 different teams that play varying schedules while being 100% “objective.”

The only one that matters is the CFB poll. AP and coaches polls are a joke. Those guys might watch 1 team play, 2 tops. The CFB poll is at least made up of a committee that their sole job is to compare teams and rank them.

I’m curious how you plan on doing that with 130 different teams that play varying schedules while being 100% “objective.”
Winners of the P5 conferences and decide on what the 3 at large teams have to do to qualify before the season. As long as it’s spelled out and everyone knows what you have to do how can it be any fairer? Especially considering the joke they have now.

I'm not emotional Fry, I think you just read it that way. You've been selling the Iowa weak schedule bit for 2 months on here, now Iowa is ranked and it's been proven they've played a lot of good teams, the real only poll that matters for anyone that comes out all year .... and you comment is "doesn't matter".

Ya gotta see how that looks as a fellow poster. A week ago you said Fant shouldn't row the boat because "Iowa isn't winning enough" ... That's a serious LOL for someone who looks at the rankings and sees the # 20 team in the country.

As some sport's commentators have pointed out it is clear the CFP system rewards victories over ranked opponents more than it penalizes losses to unranked or lower ranked opponents.

The only one that matters is the CFB poll. AP and coaches polls are a joke. Those guys might watch 1 team play, 2 tops. The CFB poll is at least made up of a committee that their sole job is to compare teams and rank them.
Yup.
Winners of the P5 conferences and decide on what the 3 at large teams have to do to qualify before the season. As long as it’s spelled out and everyone knows what you have to do how can it be any fairer? Especially considering the joke they have now.
So picking 4 teams based on certain criteria is bad but picking 3 teams is good?

Be more specific. What kind of criteria would you use.

A week ago you said Fant shouldn't row the boat because "Iowa isn't winning enough" ... That's a serious LOL for someone who looks at the rankings and sees the # 20 team in the country.
The Hawks had lost 3 out the last 4 at that point. To me that's a little sketch to be dancing in the end zone at that point.

Yup.

So picking 4 teams based on certain criteria is bad but picking 3 teams is good?

Be more specific. What kind of criteria would you use.
LOL. They're not picking the 4 teams based on any criteria right now other than what the committee decides, Jesus. That's the whole problem. It's a group of people in a room who vote on what team is 4th best and what team is 5th best, which is stupid. They can (and do) do whatever they want based on their opinions.

Under the P5 + 3 at large you'd set out (at the beginning of the season) what teams would have to do to make the playoffs...

Champs of the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, PAC12, and Big 12 would all get in. Then you'd have 3 other spots that would be open but not decided by committee because there would be requirements to get in. Just like the Wild Card in baseball and football. Do committees decide those teams? Nope.

And it doesn't matter what criteria you use as long as it's established ahead of time. Because all teams would know what they had to do before the season starts.

Latest posts