2 things Iowa no longer does...

FML

And I can't for the life of me figure out why.

1. Recruit JUCO players. The 2002 team was filled with great JUCO players who made a big impact. Why take an undersized project when you can get a good college ready kid who can contribute for a couple years?

2. Use the fullback. I loved watching us use Jeremy Allen to way we did back in the day. I know we haven't had a lot of great FB's between than and now, but Rogers seems to be a good athlete that we could use for more than just blocking.

If I had my choice I would rather see the staff get the good HS Seniors and develop them with 4/5 years of eligibility than go Juco. IMO, you only go Juco if you desperately need to plug a hole due to attrition and lack of recruiting. Which is needed this year.

2002 filled with great JUCO players. i honestly do not remember - who are they? i know Banks, but who else?

Iowa goes to the JUCO route when necessary - to fill an immediate need - not vice versa - you build depth with HS seniors, not JUCO players that have 3 years to play 2.

i do know one glaring difference between the great hawk teams and this one - special teams. when iowa was doing well, really well, they were making special teams play - blocking punts, blocking fgs, etc. many bowl games won on blocked punts for TDs. they've been few and far between lately.....

2002 filled with great JUCO players. i honestly do not remember - who are they? i know Banks, but who else?

Iowa goes to the JUCO route when necessary - to fill an immediate need - not vice versa - you build depth with HS seniors, not JUCO players that have 3 years to play 2.

I forget, was Yanda on that 2002 team? I am pretty sure he came to Iowa the Juco route.

Exactly. JUCO's are bandages to help patch something up. I can understand maybe going after a JUCO Dlineman this year just to help stabilize things there but otherwise good programs get high school kids and develop them.

I forget, was Yanda on that 2002 team? I am pretty sure he came to Iowa the Juco route.

In an ideal situation you dont recruit JUCO players. You want guys in the system for 5 years to know the system inside and out and develop within the program. Ideally, you redshirt, play special teams and get ready to play as an upperclassmen. JUCOS are a quick fix but not a long term solution

2002 Juco's; Banks, Cole, Chandler, CJ Jones, Pickens? Didn't Fred Russell play a year of JUCO too?

2002 Juco's; Banks, Cole, Chandler, CJ Jones, Pickens? Didn't Fred Russell play a year of JUCO too?

Russell went to prep school - Milford Academy I believe.

Chandler didn't contribute to the 2002 team, did he?

I would say 2-4 juco players contributed to that team. wouldn't classify that as 'filled'.

Yanda was on the 2006 team. I can't like to it at work but go search his vid when he laid out that clown defender chasing Tate. That was the 2006 ISU game.

You are right, the years are starting to blend together for me. :D

There was also a really good corner or safety that came to Iowa via Juco. But I do not think he played on the 2002 team and I forget his name.

Edit: I just looked it up, I am thinking of Walner Belleus. But he was not on that 2002 team either.

CJ Jones comes to mind from that 2002 team, it seems like he was a Juco player.

Last edited:
This play and Tate to Holloway. Bookends of the most exciting moments to my Hawkeye life. CJ Jones....see you later!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUlagJNZSVg]2003 Orange Bowl opening kickoff - YouTube[/ame]

It's been too long since we did stuff like this.

This play and Tate to Holloway. Bookends of the most exciting moments to my Hawkeye life. CJ Jones....see you later![ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUlagJNZSVg]2003 Orange Bowl opening kickoff - YouTube[/ame]It's been too long since we did stuff like this.

djk led the big ten in kick retirns and took one to the house last year.

And I can't for the life of me figure out why.

1. Recruit JUCO players. The 2002 team was filled with great JUCO players who made a big impact. Why take an undersized project when you can get a good college ready kid who can contribute for a couple years?

2. Use the fullback. I loved watching us use Jeremy Allen to way we did back in the day. I know we haven't had a lot of great FB's between than and now, but Rogers seems to be a good athlete that we could use for more than just blocking.

i agree with the JUCO part Iowa Central, and Iowa Western seem to always be rated in the top 25 for JUCO, must have some good athletes :)

An alternative take:

1) Beat the teams we "should beat" on a regular basis; and

2) Play to win (as opposed to playing not to lose).

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.:eek:

This play and Tate to Holloway. Bookends of the most exciting moments to my Hawkeye life. CJ Jones....see you later!

2003 Orange Bowl opening kickoff - YouTube

It's been too long since we did stuff like this.

I was at that Orange Bowl and agree that the opening kick was really exciting; however, I think that 95 yards Banks to Dallas was the most exciting play that stands out to me from that year and one where I thought to myself that we were a legit contender for big things. Point being, that might be my bookend from that season

i do know one glaring difference between the great hawk teams and this one - special teams. when iowa was doing well, really well, they were making special teams play - blocking punts, blocking fgs, etc. many bowl games won on blocked punts for TDs. they've been few and far between lately.....

I don't think they've gone down as much as you'd think. But there's been more negative ST's plays. In '08 Brodell had the punt return for touchdown, probably a few others I'm forgetting, but that was the big one. In '09 alone there were 4 special teams plays that I can think of: Blocked field goals against UNI, blocked punt against Penn State, KO return for TD against Ohio State.

Then I think last year Paki blocked a punt.. against a nobody in the first or second week. And DJK's KO returned for TD against Minnesota.

Maybe that's still a drop-off from earlier years, but you don't want the Hawks making a living on special teams anyway, right. Yeah you want good punting, automatic kicker, with good returns on KO and punt, and allow very little on KO and punt, but you don't need to be scoring points that way.

I don't think they've gone down as much as you'd think. But there's been more negative ST's plays. In '08 Brodell had the punt return for touchdown, probably a few others I'm forgetting, but that was the big one. In '09 alone there were 4 special teams plays that I can think of: Blocked field goals against UNI, blocked punt against Penn State, KO return for TD against Ohio State.

Then I think last year Paki blocked a punt.. against a nobody in the first or second week. And DJK's KO returned for TD against Minnesota.

Maybe that's still a drop-off from earlier years, but you don't want the Hawks making a living on special teams anyway, right. Yeah you want good punting, automatic kicker, with good returns on KO and punt, and allow very little on KO and punt, but you don't need to be scoring points that way.

iowa has won two bowl games with blocked punts. when iowa is playing its best is when the special teams are playing their best.

the whole 2002 season and going to the orange bowl came down to blocked fg/xtra points.....wouldn't have beaten purdue without the excellent st play.

the last two years we are lacking in that regard, IMO. maybe i am 'misremembering'...... :)

Latest posts