2 things Iowa no longer does...

I have that new Hawkeye book thats something like "in the words of former Hawks". I read the Sean Considine entry, he blocked five kicks at Iowa all by himself. Do we have 5 blocked kicks in the last two seasons?

And I can't for the life of me figure out why.

1. Recruit JUCO players. The 2002 team was filled with great JUCO players who made a big impact. Why take an undersized project when you can get a good college ready kid who can contribute for a couple years?

There are now Only 3 (count that THREE) JUCOs in Iowa that Have programs. Ellsworth and Iowa Central are the only two that have Div 1 talent.

My dad coached at ellsworth back in the 1960s and early 70s I swear there was 10 JUCo teams in Iowa back then. Money will be the demise of JUCO programs. Ellsworth is considering begging DIII programs to play against them. Which would be funny. I remember as a senior in HS watching Ellsworth dismantle Nebraska's JV 77-0

i do know one glaring difference between the great hawk teams and this one - special teams. when iowa was doing well, really well, they were making special teams play - blocking punts, blocking fgs, etc. many bowl games won on blocked punts for TDs. they've been few and far between lately.....

Totally. It seems Kirk has been reluctant to bring a kick rush since 2008. Sandeman got a roughing flag that almost cost us that great PSU upset, and since then, the only all-out rushes that got us blocks were the two against UNI. Only other blocked kicks the last two years were the Paki and Clayborn one-man efforts.

We were even in FG safe on Ohio State's Big Ten-clinching OT FG in 2009. No joke.

iowa has won two bowl games with blocked punts. when iowa is playing its best is when the special teams are playing their best.

the whole 2002 season and going to the orange bowl came down to blocked fg/xtra points.....wouldn't have beaten purdue without the excellent st play.

the last two years we are lacking in that regard, IMO. maybe i am 'misremembering'...... :)

Agreed. For the most part the style of play will lead to close games. ST is the tipping point.

Totally. It seems Kirk has been reluctant to bring a kick rush since 2008. Sandeman got a roughing flag that almost cost us that great PSU upset, and since then, the only all-out rushes that got us blocks were the two against UNI. Only other blocked kicks the last two years were the Paki and Clayborn one-man efforts.

We were even in FG safe on Ohio State's Big Ten-clinching OT FG in 2009. No joke.

Someone please tell me this is wrong or i'm gunna puke

Someone please tell me this is wrong or i'm gunna puke

Get a bucket. I looked it up on YouTube just to make sure I wasn't remembering incorrectly. AT LEAST four guys were laying back for the fake.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F0dQEgUDeQ]Ohio State vs Iowa 2009 - YouTube[/ame]

Edit: no need to even watch the video. Look at the still frame on the link.

Get a bucket. I looked it up on YouTube just to make sure I wasn't remembering incorrectly. AT LEAST four guys were laying back for the fake.

Ohio State vs Iowa 2009 - YouTube

Edit: no need to even watch the video. Look at the still frame on the link.

Why do that to a fellow hawk fan? Can't you just say you were joking and move on? I didn't even have time to grab the bucket

Why do that to a fellow hawk fan? Can't you just say you were joking and move on? I didn't even have time to grab the bucket

Haha. I'm sorry. I...uh...fabricated the video??? [said in the "I'm Ron Burgundy?" voice]

If I had my choice I would rather see the staff get the good HS Seniors and develop them with 4/5 years of eligibility than go Juco. IMO, you only go Juco if you desperately need to plug a hole due to attrition and lack of recruiting. Which is needed this year.

This would be my preference as well and next year would be a year where I would try to get 3-5 JUCO dlinemen. Sounds like a lot, but if you figure 2 or 3 of them perform, you have done well and our weakest spot gets immediate improvement.

Haha. I'm sorry. I...uh...fabricated the video??? [said in the "I'm Ron Burgundy?" voice]

I knew it! There is no way anyone could be stupid enough to not go after that field goal. I feel much better now thanks for coming clean

Soleman and Spievey don't really count as JUCOs in the way the OP is referring. They both began at Iowa as Frosh and went JUCO due to graded then returned.

Someone mentioned Walner Beleus (sp) but I think he also started at Iowa then finished at U Dub.

Freddie Russell went to prep school after HS, not JUCO

Latest posts