2 Points from our freshmen class

longtimer

As I recall this class was rated at or near the bottom of the Big Ten. Florida State had a number of 1st year players contribute while I think Wagner might have been the only true freshman to play. The ranking of this class is looking more and more accurate. If we dont start getting something more than 2 points from the new guys I dont see us having enough depth to make it to the bubble, and I dont even want to contemplate next year.

May be wrong about this class and hope that I am but I dont think so

As I recall this class was rated at or near the bottom of the Big Ten. Florida State had a number of 1st year players contribute while I think Wagner might have been the only true freshman to play. The ranking of this class is looking more and more accurate. If we dont start getting something more than 2 points from the new guys I dont see us having enough depth to make it to the bubble, and I dont even want to contemplate next year.

Bobby Knight (I think it was him) once said that the best thing about Freshman is that they become Sophomores. Except a couple of FSU's freshman probably won't be sophomores, they'll be playing pro ball somewhere. On the other hand, Iowa's freshmen will be around for 4-5 years (barring transfer). You can't judge the class based on this year, particularly with a veteran group ahead of them taking most of the minutes.

Let's hold off on grades for a year or two.

2 of the recruits with possibly the highest upside are redshirting this year in Moss and Hutton. That being said, the freshman got little to no minutes in last night's game which doesn't allow for many opportunities. The freshman will get a lot more playing time in the next two games before playing iSu. Last night was pretty much a must win as the Hawks likely will not be favored against iSu and will most likely drop that one. So in a tight important game, teams are going to generally lean on their upper classman.

My point is, what's the rush? We are 7 games into this freshman class season in which barely any of them have seen the floor because they are behind upperclassmen that are better and more deserving of the playing time. This is a good thing IMO, if we were forced to play these guys, well, then we would be in the situation Iowa was 4 to 5 years ago, forced to play Freshman who aren't ready

You're wrong.

It's early December so thinking about next year is lame

All of the Iowa freshmen are going to be good once they learn the system. The Florida State point guard was a great player, but the other freshman from Oak Hill didn't look particularly good. I'm sure he will be a great player in a year or two. Florida State didn't even have a winning season last year, so I suppose the coach promised a couple of the guys he was recruiting solid playing time. I doubt the point guard from Florida State will be at school for long. I was looking forward to seeing Hutton and Moss play, but it really wouldn't be that enjoyable until they know what they are doing in the Iowa system. Redshirting seems like a good thing for their futures if they are only going to play about thirty minutes for their freshmen years. I don't know what their basketball future is, but in two or three years they might be turning pro. They definitely have the athletic ability to play in Europe at the minimum.

I think his point is we are going to need at least 50-60 min a game from our bench. Im not sure where that is going to come from. Anyone ??

I think his point is we are going to need at least 50-60 min a game from our bench. Im not sure where that is going to come from. Anyone ??

Jones
Ellingson
Wagner
Baer
Uhl

and

Williams and Fleming in spots - I don't see how this is hard?

Right now Ellingson, Uhl and Baer are ahead of the freshman because they understand the offense and they play better defense. You've seen Fran stick with his experience when the games are down to the wire, which makes sense because he has 4 seniors and a Junior starting.

Fran hasn't been scared to use Wagner at times. Dale Jones as well until he got hurt.

Way too early for that kind of hyperbole talk. That said I do think I've seen enough of Ellingson... He looks like another unathletic white guy that can sometimes shoot...(remind us of anyone?) Granted it's a tough role to play just a few mins and be expected to be a sharp shooter. But when it's pretty much all you do.... I think I'd like to see more of Fleming as he has more athleticism and upside to that position and role off the bench. Plus I he can shoot about as well. Since his redshirt is burned lets find out what he has. I think we can clearly see that Ellingsons upside isn't very high.

Way too early for that kind of hyperbole talk. That said I do think I've seen enough of Ellingson... He looks like another unathletic white guy that can sometimes shoot...(remind us of anyone?) Granted it's a tough role to play just a few mins and be expected to be a sharp shooter. But when it's pretty much all you do.... I think I'd like to see more of Fleming as he has more athleticism and upside to that position and role off the bench. Plus I he can shoot about as well. Since his redshirt is burned lets find out what he has. I think we can clearly see that Ellingsons upside isn't very high.

Better watch a little more basketball in general and Ellingson in particular before you jump to this conclusion. He is still pretty raw, but not "unathletic." He actually plays pretty good defense, passes the ball well, does not make many mistakes, and draws a lot of attention from the defense when he is on the floor. Fran has made a number of comments consistent with what I am telling you. He did not play well against FSU, but he had a lot of company. You are right about one thing: He is white.

By the time Big ten play starts they'll be in the rotation. By the beginning of March I think you'll realize you were worried for nothing. Devyn Marble, like most of our freshman didn't do much right off the bat but they didn't turn out to bad. People thought Matt Gatens started off slow.

By the time Big ten play starts they'll be in the rotation. By the beginning of March I think you'll realize you were worried for nothing. Devyn Marble, like most of our freshman didn't do much right off the bat but they didn't turn out to bad. People thought Matt Gatens started off slow.

Better watch a little more basketball in general and Ellingson in particular before you jump to this conclusion. He is still pretty raw, but not "unathletic." He actually plays pretty good defense, passes the ball well, does not make many mistakes, and draws a lot of attention from the defense when he is on the floor. Fran has made a number of comments consistent with what I am telling you. He did not play well against FSU, but he had a lot of company. You are right about one thing: He is white.
You are describing Ogelsby 2.0 to me... I'm not basing my 2 cents worth off of just this last game either. All he can give the offense is the catch and shoot role. He's not going to dribble drive and create either for himself or a teammate. I don't think he can even dribble once or twice like Jok can and shoot very well. Fran talked much the same of Ogelsby and the numbers just don't lie. He was mediocre at the one thing he was out there being asked to do... Ellingson isn't a defensive stopper either. He's not going to rebound. I just think Fleming adds more of an all around game along with stretching the floor with the ability to catch and shoot. Iowa's future with that role for this year should be Fleming not Ellingson. Flemings role down the road hopefully will be much like Gatens was.

Huh?

Appreciate the optimism. Really I was becoming concerned that maybe this was not a very good class, but it sure looks like most think this is going to be a good class at some point

Latest posts