#2 player in Nation AJ EPENESA COMMITS TO IOWA!!

To redshirt or not to redshirt...that is the question....
Depending on how the other DEs develop (there are possibly 4 of them) in this years class are and current freshmen and RS freshman are he very well may be redshirted. I don't think the pressure for him to play and develop overly fast will be there just because of the depth that's already incurred. But that said if he ends up being all that and a bag of chips and ready to play early on then I wouldn't redshirt him just because. I just kind of hope that we don't see much of him till his RS freshman or even sophomore year. Cause that'll mean Iowa has really really good depth at that position. Which if the other guys develop will mean we do. So he'll be pushed to earn PT which is even better then it being handed to him on a silver platter. His bigger impact early on will be who all he can help get to come in his class too more so then his play. All that being said if he's indeed a man child like Clowney was coming in day one then heck yes turn him loose.

brad-pitt.jpg

giphy.gif

latest

In an ideal world, Epenesa and Harris both redshirt. Harris for sure. That kid needs to spend some time with Doyle. He's gotta lose some of that bad weight and get into playing shape. That's going to take some time. I hope he has the work ethic that it takes to be a leader on an Iowa team. He's going to need to put in some real work. I have no doubts about Epenesa being ready to absorb everything at this level, but I'm taking a wait and see approach with Harris. I don''t want to be too hard on him, and I'm thrilled he's a Hawk. He could be a HUGE part of a very successful team moving forward. He just has to apply himself.

He talked about always wanting to play for iowa because they are his favorite team. If you don't grow up a huge fan of someone and want to run off somewhere and get handed a national title, that's understandable. But if you have a favorite team, why would you not want to go play for them? To me that alone makes AJ awesome. He wants to help out his favorite team instead of hoping on the bandwagon of today's powerhouse.
I've always wondered that myself how todays kids for the most part don't grow up as fans of teams like I was growing up. I grew up a Hawkeye, 49ers and MN Twins fan. Never bandwagon jumped. From the time I was 9 on up If Iowa would have offered me a scholly for anything I'd have committed before coach finished his sentence. Now it seems like kids are more about me me me and root for players not teams. Kids are fans of Lebron, Odel Beckem, Steph Curry etc. But they could care less about the teams. So to hear how he emphasized how he'd been an Iowa fan forever and how he'd made his decision awhile ago just couldn't fire me up more. I think the state of Iowas program being where it is only solidified what he may very well may have done anyway. Before yesterday I thought that the only negative recruiting angle we had going against us would be how much longer would KF be coaching. Other then that what else could a kid want when picking a school?

In an ideal world, Epenesa and Harris both redshirt. Harris for sure. That kid needs to spend some time with Doyle. He's gotta lose some of that bad weight and get into playing shape. That's going to take some time. I hope he has the work ethic that it takes to be a leader on an Iowa team. He's going to need to put in some real work. I have no doubts about Epenesa being ready to absorb everything at this level, but I'm taking a wait and see approach with Harris. I don''t want to be too hard on him, and I'm thrilled he's a Hawk. He could be a HUGE part of a very successful team moving forward. He just has to apply himself.

Harris moves so well for a guy his size. As you said, if he can put in the work to trim down and tighten up, I think he could be a force at DT. As it is right now, he is an injury waiting to happen if he gets pushed into the line up too quickly.

Harris moves so well for a guy his size. As you said, if he can put in the work to trim down and tighten up, I think he could be a force at DT. As it is right now, he is an injury waiting to happen if he gets pushed into the line up too quickly.

He moves incredibly well for his size. That's what is so impressive about him. If he puts in the work he could be a rare player. Not many football players are blessed with his size and quickness. With that being said, if he wants to become a rare player he has a lot of work in front of him. You don't get to be as big as he is without developing some bad habits. I hate to say that, but it is true. Now, with his god given size and ability if he puts in the work he's gonna be fun to watch for years to come. Getting a guy like AJ into the fold is only going to help. He seems like a natural born leader.

I've always wondered that myself how todays kids for the most part don't grow up as fans of teams like I was growing up. I grew up a Hawkeye, 49ers and MN Twins fan. Never bandwagon jumped. From the time I was 9 on up If Iowa would have offered me a scholly for anything I'd have committed before coach finished his sentence. Now it seems like kids are more about me me me and root for players not teams. Kids are fans of Lebron, Odel Beckem, Steph Curry etc. But they could care less about the teams. So to hear how he emphasized how he'd been an Iowa fan forever and how he'd made his decision awhile ago just couldn't fire me up more. I think the state of Iowas program being where it is only solidified what he may very well may have done anyway. Before yesterday I thought that the only negative recruiting angle we had going against us would be how much longer would KF be coaching. Other then that what else could a kid want when picking a school?

We live in a diva-centered world now; that's just the reality from here on out. With Twitter and Instagram, kids want to do whatever has the best chance of getting themselves on ESPN or YouTube. Look at all the ridiculous "commit" videos high school recruits are making before they sign with a college.

Beckham is the best example and he's like a lot of other skilled position players. I honestly believe that he doesn't care what team he plays for or whether he even makes the playoffs/Super Bowl. I truly do, no exaggeration. As long as he can make a stretched out one-handed catch and have one of Stuart Scott's clones yell booyah on Sports Center, or get on TV for cheap-shotting Josh Norman he's good.

Welcome to Divatowne where no publicity is bad publicity. Gotta get used to it or quit watching sports.

We live in a diva-centered world now; that's just the reality from here on out. With Twitter and Instagram, kids want to do whatever has the best chance of getting themselves on ESPN or YouTube. Look at all the ridiculous "commit" videos high school recruits are making before they sign with a college.

Beckham is the best example and he's like a lot of other skilled position players. I honestly believe that he doesn't care what team he plays for or whether he even makes the playoffs/Super Bowl. I truly do, no exaggeration. As long as he can make a stretched out one-handed catch and have one of Stuart Scott's clones yell booyah on Sports Center, or get on TV for cheap-shotting Josh Norman he's good.

Welcome to Divatowne where no publicity is bad publicity. Gotta get used to it or quit watching sports.
Your not kidding... If your a fan of how guys like Peyton Manning and even to an extent Aaron Rogers are soak them in cause they'll be extinct here before you know it. And even those guys are big time self marketers. They just do it differently by being themselves. Who knows what some of these other guys are even like. I think it's almost an act where they put on a show any and every time they know the camera is on them. I guess Tom Lemming had said Iowa was the favorite for Espenesa if for no other reason then how mild mannered he is. The recruiting world pretty much knew that Iowa and him were a perfect fit.

He moves incredibly well for his size. That's what is so impressive about him. If he puts in the work he could be a rare player. Not many football players are blessed with his size and quickness. With that being said, if he wants to become a rare player he has a lot of work in front of him. You don't get to be as big as he is without developing some bad habits. I hate to say that, but it is true. Now, with his god given size and ability if he puts in the work he's gonna be fun to watch for years to come. Getting a guy like AJ into the fold is only going to help. He seems like a natural born leader.
His interview is encouraging in that he wants to play for a DL coach that can get him to the NFL. If he's sincere and even remotely realistic, he knows how much work that will require. He chose wisely, as we have put a lot of DL players in the league.

With AJ and Harris, among a few other for the '17 class it's very exciting. Awesome even, really really awesome.

That said, few things that I need to remind myself....

1) it's still 20-32 months and at least 1 (maybe 2) seasons before any of the '17 talent gets on the field, and they will still only be true sophs (hopefully RS Frosh).

2) Developing the talent we have right now for next year...along with a Huge need to find CJ's replacement(maybe they are already on the squad, no idea)...is Critical.

We really need sustained success (to me that's 9+ wins next year and being in the B1G West hunt into end of Nov(hopefully winning it and another crack at the championship), and 8 or more wins in '17 with a new QB), along with limited attrition, continued improvement in recruiting, and continued development).

QB beyond next year and finding more talent, depth at WR is the key...everything else looks solid for '17-'18.

'16 is very important to keep things rolling...'17 will be the indicator if we slip back again or stay in the top 3-4 in the conf.

9ers, Hawks, Twins all good in late/mid 80s I'm sure that wasn't when you of all people wouldn't bandwagon

Latest posts