2 Deeps

Hawkfnntn

For those too lazy to go to the main page to get to it.. haha http://hawkeyenation.com/football/2015-iowa-football-two-deep

The key things I noticed.

1. Daniels at RB alone. Not A or B over Canzeri.

2. Jay Scheel right behind Vandeberg... I look for him to get more reps then Vande as the year goes on. If he's healthy he's just bigger and more athletic.

3. Taylor is ahead of Snyder for safety. I wouldn't have been surprised either way how that played/plays out. I think both will play this year.

4. Kidd is ahead of Koehn for punter... Hope this changes. I'm about sick of the 38 yard returnable punts he often lobbed up there..

5. No kick returners listed yet.. With Parker Wadley Scheel Vandeberg etc I'll be curious how that plays out. Bet those battles go into the season.

Daniels must really be making big strides to have become the lone starter. That is sure good to see that he has, I have known that he was capable of it. Jay Scheel coming back strong from his injuries and making the 2 deeps is also good to see. He has a great future with the Hawkeyes.

For those too lazy to go to the main page to get to it.. haha http://hawkeyenation.com/football/2015-iowa-football-two-deep

2. Jay Scheel right behind Vandeberg... I look for him to get more reps then Vande as the year goes on. If he's healthy he's just bigger and more athletic.

3. Taylor is ahead of Snyder for safety. I wouldn't have been surprised either way how that played/plays out. I think both will play this year.

4. Kidd is ahead of Koehn for punter... Hope this changes. I'm about sick of the 38 yard returnable punts he often lobbed up there..

5. No kick returners listed yet.. With Parker Wadley Scheel Vandeberg etc I'll be curious how that plays out. Bet those battles go into the season.
Vandenberg because he will fair catch the most.

Matt Vandenberg would be a good choice as a punt returner, all though they might not use for that this year. Riley McCarron is back as well, and has experience. I also heard that Desmond King is in the mix.

As far as kickoff returner goes Jordan Canzari and Jon Parker would be the top choices. Jon lead the team in total kickoff returns last year, followed by Jordan.

We need to keep CJ and Drew Ott healthy. Behind Ott is Parker Hesse. He was all-everything at Waukon and I am glad he is a Hawk, but DE at only 240 pounds? Maybe they would move Matt Nelson over. Interesting that Bazata beat out Ekakitie at DT. I had never heard of Terlouw at DT until now. I hope he is the real deal. Newberg may fit in at DE or DT eventually. Sounds like he is a monster. Strong. Quick. Nasty. What's not to like?!

This team has potential.. Good depth on most of the defense. The linebackers obviously the biggest question mark still.

Obviously Daniels and Scheels moves up the depth chart are the most intriguing.

I honestly don't think Canzeri is capable of being an every down back. I wish he was because he has the ability to create explosive plays, but evidence suggests his body can't handle that much punishment. I've thought all off-season that the best strategy would be for Daniels to be the 1st and 2nd down back and Canzeri to come in on 3rd down. Even if he is the best all-around back if you give him starter reps and he gets hurt again then he isn't helping anyone.

Matt Vandenberg would be a good choice as a punt returner, all though they might not use for that this year. Riley McCarron is back as well, and has experience.

Unathletic guys who fair catch (except when VandeBerg fumbles the return against Nebraska). Meanwhile the Huskers have Pierson-El.

Let's see someone with the explosive speed back there for a change. A Kahlil Hill or Tim Dwight type!

I was surpised to see L Daniels hasnt lettered. There were a couple players with 3 letters and it seemed Daniels has put in the time, had his 60 carries, and was injured to some extent both years.

i notice they don't list the 3rd WR position like they did last year.

This makes more sense. Yes, If there is no FB on a play, it could be a 2nd TE or 3rd WR that might play as much as the FB. But you can't start listing starters for every configuration. Or can you?

Hey, how come Rudock is not listed as the starter? I thought he had 1 year of elligibility left. Did something happen during the off-season?

I think Daniels can handle 15 touches a game easily. With Canzeri, Wadley, Mitchel somehow sharing the other 15 or so carries a game. Canzeri should be able to handle 10 touches a game be it rushing or receiving out of the backfield easy enough. I think Beathard will have 2 to 5 rushes a game himself be it scrambling or designed so that's 5 or so less touches RBs mighta received if JR was still qb.

This team seems to have potential, and good depth.. but the problem I see is that the depth isn't far behind the starters talent wise at some positions.. and that's not always good.

EIther way, should have some fun moments, and some profanity moments.

I think the TaxSlayer.com Bowl pretty much sealed Parker's fate as a jet-sweep-only guy.

I think the TaxSlayer.com Bowl pretty much sealed Parker's fate as a jet-sweep-only guy.

I'm not so sure about that. When he fielded the ball cleanly in the air he had a pretty darn good avg. I think those mistakes he made were mental and the moment was just too big for him perhaps. I think the coaches feel /think those mistakes can be coached out of him. I think coaches look at those mistakes differently then say fumbling. I think a player who fumbles a lot will get a shorter leash then one who makes mental bone headed mistakes. If the coaches feel his skills are a notch above the others I think he'll be back there.

I'm not so sure about that. When he fielded the ball cleanly in the air he had a pretty darn good avg. I think those mistakes he made were mental and the moment was just too big for him perhaps. I think the coaches feel /think those mistakes can be coached out of him. I think coaches look at those mistakes differently then say fumbling. I think a player who fumbles a lot will get a shorter leash then one who makes mental bone headed mistakes. If the coaches feel his skills are a notch above the others I think he'll be back there.

I believe you can coach ball possession to lower the chances of fumbling happening...I'm not confident you can coach the "bone headed mistakes" out them. Hopefully experience plays a role in improving that, but it appears he may be starting at a lower starting level. Running full speed to the sideline to catch a kickoff inside your 5 yard line is never a good thing. I have to believe, wait hope, that had been covered a few times in the special teams meetings. If it hadn't well, we should be talking about Chris White right now. Understanding momentum is a pretty rudimentary thing.

I believe you can coach ball possession to lower the chances of fumbling happening...I'm not confident you can coach the "bone headed mistakes" out them. Hopefully experience plays a role in improving that, but it appears he may be starting at a lower starting level. Running full speed to the sideline to catch a kickoff inside your 5 yard line is never a good thing. I have to believe, wait hope, that had been covered a few times in the special teams meetings. If it hadn't well, we should be talking about Chris White right now. Understanding momentum is a pretty rudimentary thing.

I dunno about that. Seems to me most fumblers remain fumblers. It's rare that a guy gains that rep and then kicks it. Tiki Barber comes to mind where he was a big time fumbler and then completely changed how he handled the ball and got better at it. It'll be interesting to see if Wadley improves at his ball security. He put the ball on the ground a couple times last yr and didn't have very many touches overall. But most seem to put the ball on the ground at whatever ratio they establish for themselves for the most part. And I'm not predicting so much that Parker will get it again. I'm just going off of that the competition he'll have for it will be the same guys he'd beaten out for it last yr pretty much. I don't know if any of the RS freshman or true freshmen will be good at it or get a shot or not. I just don't think the coaches will take away the opportunity for him to win it in practice leading up to week 1.

As evidenced by his getting back on the field last season. I just think the bowl mistake makes him suspect. Will YOU get warm fuzzies if he's on KOR team and every team starts angling kicks toward the deep-in-our-own-territory sidelines?

<<When he fielded the ball cleanly in the air...>>

Sort of an "if/when" statement. Kinda scary. But...assuming he can clean up those mistakes, he DID prove to have take-it-to-the-house skill. Absolutely needed for this team.

Latest posts