2 Deeps

One player who does not get mentioned much, but might work his way up as a deep threat and returner is Emmanuel Ogwo. He is fast! Also he has more size than some of Iowa's previous speed guys.

I'm not so sure about that. When he fielded the ball cleanly in the air he had a pretty darn good avg. I think those mistakes he made were mental and the moment was just too big for him perhaps. I think the coaches feel /think those mistakes can be coached out of him. I think coaches look at those mistakes differently then say fumbling. I think a player who fumbles a lot will get a shorter leash then one who makes mental bone headed mistakes. If the coaches feel his skills are a notch above the others I think he'll be back there.

More like lack of focus for a meaningless consolation game no one card about.

Parker had 24 returns. Averaged 22/kick with a long of 54. How many of those 24 returns did he not field on the fly or do something stupid on? It wasn't more then 4 times was it? Sure that's 4 or so times too many but if coaches feel he can get that coached out of him and is the best they got... Hope whoever is back there doesn't do that cause field position is so so valuable especially to Iowa and how they like to play.

I dunno about that. Seems to me most fumblers remain fumblers. It's rare that a guy gains that rep and then kicks it. Tiki Barber comes to mind where he was a big time fumbler and then completely changed how he handled the ball and got better at it. It'll be interesting to see if Wadley improves at his ball security. He put the ball on the ground a couple times last yr and didn't have very many touches overall. But most seem to put the ball on the ground at whatever ratio they establish for themselves for the most part. And I'm not predicting so much that Parker will get it again. I'm just going off of that the competition he'll have for it will be the same guys he'd beaten out for it last yr pretty much. I don't know if any of the RS freshman or true freshmen will be good at it or get a shot or not. I just don't think the coaches will take away the opportunity for him to win it in practice leading up to week 1.

And all this talk ^^^^ by several posters is one reason why Weisman got so so many carries. He maybe had 2-3 lost fumbles in 2+ years and a lot of carries. That fits totally into KF's algorithm/equation of winning football. Same thing with Coker but the bad thing is the team many times couldnt finish off long drives of many plays.

Unconscionable that the coaches/players couldnt get a win at Minny that year Coker had about 220 yards (mainly in the first 3 qtrs).

And all this talk ^^^^ by several posters is one reason why Weisman got so so many carries. He maybe had 2-3 lost fumbles in 2+ years and a lot of carries. That fits totally into KF's algorithm/equation of winning football. Same thing with Coker but the bad thing is the team many times couldnt finish off long drives of many plays.

Unconscionable that the coaches/players couldnt get a win at Minny that year Coker had about 220 yards (mainly in the first 3 qtrs).

I still remember Coker being gassed after one of his longer runs (he seemed to have about 5-7 30 yard runs that game), he turns to the sideline and waived his hand to be asked for a break, he even started to walk toward the sidelines and the Iowa staff told him to turn back around and the look on his face said it all. I'm actually shocked MC wasn't hurt that game by them constantly running him into the ground.

Yes he had huge numbers, but he was so tired by the time we got into their redzone/territory, we couldn't do squat.

This staff just does not substitute if the backup is younger, or has the potential to make a mistake. We see younger players yanked right away if they make a mistake, but if you're a junior or senior for this staff....your position is basically stable till you get hurt or graduate.

I honestly think this is huge reason why we haven't been able to land much in the way of skill positions in recruiting. Other teams have enough evidence to show Iowa doesn't play you, unless they absolutely have to.

I still remember Coker being gassed after one of his longer runs (he seemed to have about 5-7 30 yard runs that game), he turns to the sideline and waived his hand to be asked for a break, he even started to walk toward the sidelines and the Iowa staff told him to turn back around and the look on his face said it all. I'm actually shocked MC wasn't hurt that game by them constantly running him into the ground.

Yes he had huge numbers, but he was so tired by the time we got into their redzone/territory, we couldn't do squat.

This staff just does not substitute if the backup is younger, or has the potential to make a mistake. We see younger players yanked right away if they make a mistake, but if you're a junior or senior for this staff....your position is basically stable till you get hurt or graduate.

I honestly think this is huge reason why we haven't been able to land much in the way of skill positions in recruiting. Other teams have enough evidence to show Iowa doesn't play you, unless they absolutely have to.

Coker had a couple of 40-50 yard runs that game. Granted it didnt help that Mike Myer/Meier who was usually pretty clutch missed on two short fgs that would have probably iced the game. And of course that was the first of the two back to back onside kick games for Minny, duhhhhhh!!!

And as far as the second bolded part you are spot on with the difference between a lot of teams that play talented freshman while at Iowa they hardly see the field until late their sophmore or junior year. What kid with skills wants to sit that long. So it becomes a circular screw up in personnel use and recruiting.

Latest posts