'19 In-State QB Max Duggan Enjoys Meeting with Ken O'Keefe

Iowa isn't going to change what they do just to get some recruit to commit to them. Iowa has more than enough proof that QB's in their system will get a shot in the NFL if they are talented enough. It doesn't take video game passing stats to get drafted into the NFL, it takes talent. CJ, Rudock, Stanzi all had/have their shots. That is 3 out of Iowa's last 4 QB's that get serious looks in the NFL. Iowa can totally sell the fact that if you come to Iowa, and work hard enough, then Duggan too can have an NFL opportunity at QB.

Who said anything about video game numbers? How many <100 yard passing games did we have last season? We had enough to convince an Iowa City born, Iowa Hawkeye fan 4* WR, that witnessed most all of last season, to run from Iowa City. And you're probably right that Iowa isn't going to change "just to get some recruit..." But Duggan isn't just "some" recruit. He's an in-state kid, an Iowa Hawkeye fan and he's blowing up at the qb position. Iowa needs to change it's offensive image, period. Sure we can get good RB's; but when was the last time the "great Iowa running game" offense landed a top end 4* RB? Defense wins championships but offense wins games. Unless you win games, you won't have a championship defense.

Who said anything about video game numbers? How many <100 yard passing games did we have last season? We had enough to convince an Iowa City born, Iowa Hawkeye fan 4* WR, that witnessed most all of last season, to run from Iowa City. And you're probably right that Iowa isn't going to change "just to get some recruit..." But Duggan isn't just "some" recruit. He's an in-state kid, an Iowa Hawkeye fan and he's blowing up at the qb position. Iowa needs to change it's offensive image, period. Sure we can get good RB's; but when was the last time the "great Iowa running game" offense landed a top end 4* RB? Defense wins championships but offense wins games. Unless you win games, you won't have a championship defense.

I think you took my post wrong. I think we both know Iowa isn't going to run a different offense to get him to commit. I was also just saying Iowa has a lot to sell in 3 of Iowa's last 4 QB have had a shot at the NFL.

I think you took my post wrong. I think we both know Iowa isn't going to run a different offense to get him to commit. I was also just saying Iowa has a lot to sell in 3 of Iowa's last 4 QB have had a shot at the NFL.

My apologies if I misunderstood your meaning.

...while other schools show him game film brought to you by GD & KF. To me, this kid is a must get. In-state, everyone is offering, loads of talent, kid who grew up a hawk fan and that plays qb. our recent past passing offense already cost us one kid (Oliver) and it better not cost us this one. KOK and BF had been open up the offense this season and, forever more, if they want to attract skill position talent to iowa.

Iowa needs to keep skill players at home. We lost 4 awesome WRs to Michigan and Texas Tech, and that has been the difference between mediocrity and excellence.

If Duggan comes to Iowa we're back in the Rose Bowl.

arrington
darboh
martin
willies

Ouch!!!

Last edited:

Why do people not understand?

Oliver.Martin.Was.Never.Coming.To.Iowa.

You don't do pool parties and sleepovers in your jammies with a coach--any coach--if your intent is to play at Iowa.

Why do people not understand?

Oliver.Martin.Was.Never.Coming.To.Iowa.

You don't do pool parties and sleepovers in your jammies with a coach--any coach--if your intent is to play at Iowa.

If Martin was never coming to Iowa, then that really is an indictment on Iowa's program. Please, UM is nowhere near being any sort of a passing offense program. If Iowa were to highlight skill position players (outside of RB/TE) then things could have been different (Arrington/Darbah/Martin)

If Martin was never coming to Iowa, then that really is an indictment on Iowa's program. Please, UM is nowhere near being any sort of a passing offense program. If Iowa were to highlight skill position players (outside of RB/TE) then things could have been different (Arrington/Darbah/Martin)

<<If Martin was never coming to Iowa, then that really is an indictment on Iowa's program>>

Or an indictment on him. Sleepovers With Coach stopped being cute when...well, it's never been cute. While I don't think he took part in that particular "event", the fact he'd go to their "barbecue" certainly has me questioning his thought pattern.

<<Please, UM is nowhere near being any sort of a passing offense program>>

OK

Or maybe he didn't want to go to school in the same town he's lived in all his life. Unless you have an in with the family...it's speculation and assumption to make conclusions otherwise.

Or maybe he didn't want to go to school in the same town he's lived in all his life. Unless you have an in with the family...it's speculation and assumption to make conclusions otherwise.

Puhleez. Did you just discover HN today? Sports message boards are filled with speculation and assumptions. Like the assumption that he didn't want to play in the same town he has lived in all his life.

So he grew up an Iowa fan, went to almost every Iowa game while he was being recruited but decided he wanted to go to UM just to get out of town? That is entirely possible, but if you believe in using logic, he could also have seen iowa throw for less than 100 yards 4 times and knew there would be a brand new qb with almost zero experience this season. We have to remember that this kid blew up into a top level receiver....not blocker, or run down the field guy.

You are right that I am speculating because I don't know him. But I'll say one thing; the history of top WR's from the state of Iowa going to UM is an indictment of the Iowa passing offense.

Last edited:
So he grew up an Iowa fan, went to almost every Iowa game while he was being recruited but decided he wanted to go to UM just to get out of town? That is entirely possible, but if you believe in using logic, he could also have seen iowa throw for less than 100 yards 4 times and knew there would be a brand new qb with almost zero experience this season. We have to remember that this kid blew up into a top level receiver....not blocker, or run down the field guy.

You are right that I am speculating because I don't know him. But I'll say one thing; the history of top WR's from the state of Iowa going to UM is an indictment of the Iowa passing offense.

Lots of things go into recruiting. It certainly didn't help that our passing game was pathetic last year. It also didn't help that OM didn't like Kennedy so the rumor goes. It also didn't help that Kennedy didn't want to offer Martin until they pretty much had to, because he was so hung up on the Texas WR.

That ain't even taking things like the actual schools and campus into consideration. So much more goes into it. I really wish we could have gotten him, but we didn't.

I know they're just the highlights, but based on that, I don't see how he looks any worse than the QB we just took from Texas this last class. Pretty nice highlight vid for a sophomore. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses.
Hard to compare competition btwn states but sophomores don't generally play at the 6A level in TX. The TX QB did tear up a bunch of defenses with 5-6 D1 players. Would be nice to keep kids in state though.

Latest posts