180 degree flip in the program.....NOW!!

Jerk44

So this program needs drastic changes in its dynamic IMO. I don't remember the exact names, but I remember reading about what Lou Holtz did in similar circumstances. I know this board regularly slams him, but you got to give it to the guy-- GREAT coach, not so great commentator. While at ND, after getting whooped in the bowl game, Dr. Lou needed a serious change in his team that was lacking effort, inspiration, and overrall passion for the game. He remembered one specific player that was bawling during halftime and let everyone know that those are the type of players he wanted on next year's team: a much needed fire! That's what the Hawks need to do. Find the hungry players that have a genuine desire to prove themselves, taking talent largely out of the picture. He turned that kid, who was something like a third stringer, into an All-American I believe. I think they won the NC the next year? The effort I saw out of Clayborn in the Minnie game was despicable. Shoulda benched him. IMO Mike Daniels has contributed more out of himself than Clayborn. Daniels seemed to be the guy in there making the sack most of the time, and 98% of the CFB nation has no idea who he is.

KF could easily adapt this strategy if he showed it in his capacity.... his head is not on the chopping block by any means, but KF could also take a few notes from Dr. Lou in his approach to turning this team around. Show me the guy we know that gave Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, and Sean Considine sustaining careers in the NFL, and I'll show you 8 wins a season every year consistently.

So Lou MIGHT have taken a third-stringer and MIGHT have made him an all-american and they MIGHT have won the national championship the following year, but you're not sure? That's a lot of "MIGHT"s in one post.

I'm 95% sure of my findings, and whether or not he was a backup or a 3rd stringer, you have to admit, that is impressive.

What KF really needs to do is make this team believe they were just bit by injuries and things will be better for the bowl. Also, he needs to find a way to make this team start to have some fun again.

The team is playing really tight and without any joy. That has to change by bowl time.

Lou Holtz is also widely regarded as one of the greatest motivating coaches in modern history. I'm not in the locker room with Ferentz but I really don't see him inspiring anybody or lighting a fire under anyone.

If it's inspiration that Hawk teams need, I'm not sure where it's going to come from...

Lou Holtz is also widely regarded as one of the greatest motivating coaches in modern history. I'm not in the locker room with Ferentz but I really don't see him inspiring anybody or lighting a fire under anyone.

If it's inspiration that Hawk teams need, I'm not sure where it's going to come from...
Tom Osborne was a robot; worse than Ferentz, but look what he managed. 'Course a big part of that was a pact signed with the Devil back in the day....

I agree with the OP. When I played in HS, we got blown out during our last game before the playoffs (this was my sophomore year but I was playing varsity). The coach was ****** and literally tore up the depth chart in front of us. The next week was kinda like open tryouts for guys who wanted to prove themselves. We ended up benching I think 17 starters and playing a lot of guys for the first time in a major capacity. I switched from LT to FB. We ended up winning the game by 21. KF needs to erase the depth chart and tell the kids that these next 4 weeks will serve as tryouts. If the seniors and juniors don't want to go 100%, by all means let them watch from the best seats in the house.

Do you guys really know what KF says to players in private, and at practice? No, you don't.

I agree with Duffman, you had me a shimple Lou Holtz :)

The bandwagon is going to need new shock absorbers next year.

So this program needs drastic changes in its dynamic IMO. I don't remember the exact names, but I remember reading about what Lou Holtz did in similar circumstances. I know this board regularly slams him, but you got to give it to the guy-- GREAT coach, not so great commentator. While at ND, after getting whooped in the bowl game, Dr. Lou needed a serious change in his team that was lacking effort, inspiration, and overrall passion for the game. He remembered one specific player that was bawling during halftime and let everyone know that those are the type of players he wanted on next year's team: a much needed fire! That's what the Hawks need to do. Find the hungry players that have a genuine desire to prove themselves, taking talent largely out of the picture. He turned that kid, who was something like a third stringer, into an All-American I believe. I think they won the NC the next year? The effort I saw out of Clayborn in the Minnie game was despicable. Shoulda benched him. IMO Mike Daniels has contributed more out of himself than Clayborn. Daniels seemed to be the guy in there making the sack most of the time, and 98% of the CFB nation has no idea who he is.

KF could easily adapt this strategy if he showed it in his capacity.... his head is not on the chopping block by any means, but KF could also take a few notes from Dr. Lou in his approach to turning this team around. Show me the guy we know that gave Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, and Sean Considine sustaining careers in the NFL, and I'll show you 8 wins a season every year consistently.

Not sure I agree with this. He was the only Hawkeye named to the Sporting News 1st team All-American team at midseason.

I agree with the OP. When I played in HS, we got blown out during our last game before the playoffs (this was my sophomore year but I was playing varsity). The coach was ****** and literally tore up the depth chart in front of us. The next week was kinda like open tryouts for guys who wanted to prove themselves. We ended up benching I think 17 starters and playing a lot of guys for the first time in a major capacity. I switched from LT to FB. We ended up winning the game by 21. KF needs to erase the depth chart and tell the kids that these next 4 weeks will serve as tryouts. If the seniors and juniors don't want to go 100%, by all means let them watch from the best seats in the house.

So you're saying put Reiff in the back field? I like it.

So you're saying put Reiff in the back field? I like it.

Haha hell no! I wasn't a starting tackle, I was 3rd string (again, as a sophomore "playing" on the varsity team). I was also undersized as a tackle, at about 6-2 230 at the time. FB made sense for me since I was also a track athlete and played in short yardage situations in middle school. But what I AM saying is that if, for example, Reiff didn't want to practice hard or was giving a lot of lip or attitude to the coaches, they should sit him for the bowl game and play Donnal or something. I'm probably wrong, but can't freshmen keep their RS status if they only play in the bowl game? Just wipe the depth chart clean, let the players play where they want, and see who wants it most.

Latest posts