#17 Iowa at Purdont Game Thread

I swear ... every time I tune to an Iowa womens' game they just choke it away.

bad play -- can't screen out a FT shooter who gets a rebound and makes a basket that changed the end of the game.

bad coaching -- with 34 seconds Bluder decides to let Purdue run the clock down to 12 seconds and when they start to run their play, then has one of Iowa's players foul a 49% FT shooter 33' from the basket without the ball.

duh, intentional (unsportsmanlike) foul. 2 shots and the ball back and Bluder pretends she's surprised they call it.

just bad coaching. and please, block out the FT shooter like you're taught in 6th grade.

I was scratching my head on the not fouling and letting them run the clock down. Just plain stupid!

I swear ... every time I tune to an Iowa womens' game they just choke it away.

bad play -- can't screen out a FT shooter who gets a rebound and makes a basket that changed the end of the game.

bad coaching -- with 34 seconds Bluder decides to let Purdue run the clock down to 12 seconds and when they start to run their play, then has one of Iowa's players foul a 49% FT shooter 33' from the basket without the ball.

duh, intentional (unsportsmanlike) foul. 2 shots and the ball back and Bluder pretends she's surprised they call it.

just bad coaching. and please, block out the FT shooter like you're taught in 6th grade.
Your description doesn't match the actual play. That foul was called on an inbounds play and was an awful call.

The call on Amanda was absurd. She is face guarding a player on the sidelines almost at midcourt and the under the basket official calls her an unsportsman like foul for what was essentially a hand check. A play at least 25 feet from the ball and not effecting the inbounds play.
The Purdue player wasn't moving. She went into her twice with arm bars. They were trying to get a personal foul on the 49% FT shooter -- it didn't work. Dumb coaching.

The baseline ref should not have blown the whistle. He wasn't even looking that way when he blew his whistle. It should have been the top ref that blew it; he didn't. Still the right call. If the jersey colors are switched then everyone is saying it was the right call.

Your description doesn't match the actual play. That foul was called on an inbounds play and was an awful call.
It was an awful call but we shouldn't of been in that situation anyway. That last 40 seconds was terrible by the Hawks or by Lisa anyway. Just not a very good job all the way around.

I was scratching my head on the not fouling and letting them run the clock down. Just plain stupid!
It is.

Iowa's BB coaches have some serious flaws and the players aren't talented enough to make up for it.

Blocking out a FT shooter would have changed the end of this game.

At least we now know we really stink when Megan fouls out. To all you Hawks...…..play like you want to win. When you have the ball deep in by the bucket shoot the dam thing or go sit down and let someone else give it a try. Hey there's a novel idea.

Sorry, we're talking about two different plays then.
The one I'm talking about happened with 11-12 seconds left.

Dumb coaching. Right call.

The 5th foul on Megan should have went the other way. It was a moving screen, and should have been called against Purdont. Another thing that was inexcusable in the 4th quarter was when the Purdont center (who looks like a man) traveled and double dribbled on the same move, and neither were called. On Amanda’s foul, just about every possession Megan gets fouled harder than that, and it’s never called an intentional foul. That’s just more inconsistent and terrible officiating.

The 5th foul on Megan should have went the other way. It was a moving screen, and should have been called against Purdont. Another thing that was inexcusable in the 4th quarter was when the Purdont center (who looks like a man) traveled and double dribbled on the same move, and neither were called. On Amanda’s foul, just about every possession Megan gets fouled harder than that, and it’s never called an intentional foul. That’s just more inconsistent and terrible officiating.
You are correct about Megan getting hammered all the time and it's not called. That definitely was a double dribble they didn't call also. The Hawks need someone to step up and take control of this team when Megan isn't on the floor. We have leads and as soon as Megan leaves the floor POOF the lead is gone. That has to change. Can't rely on the officials ever. We all know they are awful.

The B1G has always had awful officiating. John Feinstein commented about it in his Season On The Brink book. Half of them are intimidated by the coaches/home crowds and the other half are trying to put on a show and attract attention to themselves.

Turnovers and poor defense lost this game. I do agree bad calls effected outcome and we are not good without Megan. I do not understand how you have the woman's BB player in the country and lose so much.

We keep hearing how great the recruits Lisa is able to land. If not for Megan, the hawks would be a bottom of the conference team. Are the recruits that bad or is it the coaching................................

It’s always the the refs fault with you. That tune is getting old.

We keep hearing how great the recruits Lisa is able to land. If not for Megan, the hawks would be a bottom of the conference team. Are the recruits that bad or is it the coaching................................
I've been told that I haven't be to practices and I don't know anything but imo it's the coach. We have the talent but for some reason it's not being used to it's full potential. This team should of been coached for this sort of thing happening. They all looked like a deer in the headlights. It's no wonder Lisa never wins the B1G. We've had the players but there's been something lacking from the coaches. That last minute of the game was atrocious.

I've been told that I haven't be to practices and I don't know anything but imo it's the coach. We have the talent but for some reason it's not being used to it's full potential. This team should of been coached for this sort of thing happening. They all looked like a deer in the headlights. It's no wonder Lisa never wins the B1G. We've had the players but there's been something lacking from the coaches. That last minute of the game was atrocious.
Totally agree!!!!!

Latest posts