11 Reasons Why Nebraska Should Lobby for Big Ten

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Shatel: Big Ten, NU would be good fit - Omaha.com

10. Would Nebraska have a hard time creating new rivals and fan interest in the Big Ten?
Are you kidding? Nebraska-Iowa every year? Nebraskans love tradition and the Big Ten is all about traditions. We'd have to come up with some kind of bucket or ax to play for with the Hawkeyes. The corn cob trophy?

Nebraska is the one reason I am excited about a potential expansion. I would rather the Big Ten just add Nebraska and call it a day. As noted in Frank the Tanks' blog, it's more about advertising revenue than subscriber revenue and Nebraska brings fans to the TV, therefore boosting revenue. If they had a decent size TV market they would be a slam dunk.

the nebraska-iowa would solve a lot of my heated discussions with my friends who are husker fans! shut them up for once

That would be AMAZING! For me, that would really strengthen the argument to take the clowns off of our schedule each year. We get a very strong rivalry game that we actually get something in return for winning. ISU is a no-win situation. Just my opinion.

That would be AMAZING! For me, that would really strengthen the argument to take the clowns off of our schedule each year. We get a very strong rivalry game that we actually get something in return for winning. ISU is a no-win situation. Just my opinion.

There's no way we drop ISU off the schedule, I don't see why you really want us to. Adding Nebraska isn't a good reason to dump them, either. NU would be part of the conference schedule, not the OOC. ISU will always be on our schedule, get used to it.

I believe that Nebraska would be a good addition to the Big Ten.

I also think that the Big Ten should jump over Missouri, take Oklahoma. Nebraska-Oklahoma was once a great great great great rivalry.

Neb fans are a lot like PSU fans. Go to the Big 10 and waltz right to big 10 titles. I think the big red will find the going a bit more rough than they think...

The Big Ten is about academics and research, not just football. Why would it be interested in a school like Nebraska?

I would love to see Nebraska in the b10. I think there could be some truly great games with Iowa, Wisky, tOSU, PSU, and others.

A yearly rivalry game with Nebby would be awesome. If Nebraska leaves proactively for the Big 10 what will that do to the Big 12 and the rest of the CFB world?

I like the idea of Nebraska. We still need some "warm up" teams on our schedule, but I would much rather have a team like Nebraska play us than a fill in team we picked up when the schedule expanded. The academics problem will work itself out as they get more revenue and invest in research, etc.

the nebraska-iowa would solve a lot of my heated discussions with my friends who are husker fans! shut them up for once
I agree with you but it also means if they win they will never shut up...Husker fans are like no others...I would just as soon they not be in the B10.

When Nebraska joins the conference (and I like the idea), in all likelihood the big 12 will implode and be no more. No major conference will want the clowns for obvious reason and the clowns will have to join a newly formed minor conference or join a mid-major. Their status as a BCS team will be NO MORE.

Thus when we play the clowns (IF we are still forced to play them) the game will be reduced in stature simply because the clowns will be a reduced team. They will be similar to UNI or a Mountain West team like Wyoming or New Mexico most years. The clowns will not be able to recruit against Iowa anymore for the top talent in the state in almost all cases, which will be great.

So although some games will be tough, the games will be nowhere near what they are now because the clowns will be greatly outmanned (even more so than they are now) and most games will be over by half-time.

The series will mean even less in the future than it does now, which is even better. And eventually, Iowa will rotate the clowns with UNI every 3 years on our schedule because it won't make any sense to have both of them on our schedule, except to help out their budgets.

This isn't a bad stat either:

http://www.cosida.com/Academic All-America/aaaselections.aspx

Top 5 schools all time (Academic All-Americans, all sports)
  1. University of Nebraska 271
  2. Notre Dame 214
  3. Penn State 162
  4. MIT 161
  5. Stanford 140

Notre Dame, Penn State, MIT and Stanford are on this list for a reason. Nebraska is too, but it's not the same reason.
There is a reason they are at the top -- the academics are absymal. It's easy to be an All-American when you go to Nebraska. This doesn't prove anything.
BTW, the decision is made by the school Presidents, not the ADs.

Latest posts