Bluder announces retirement

Do you think this will effect any of the commitments decisions to stay committed to the Hawks or look around?
I think a reporter on twitter had mentioned that they all had expressed 'likes' to the hiring of Jan. So far so good on that front. They have 30 days to hop in portal and look around if they so choose though.

I think a reporter on twitter had mentioned that they all had expressed 'likes' to the hiring of Jan. So far so good on that front. They have 30 days to hop in portal and look around if they so choose though.
Jan is the lead recruiter - so I doubt this would cause any of them any reconsideration

Jan is the lead recruiter - so I doubt this would cause any of them any reconsideration
I'd be surprised if anyone left too. But crazier things have happened. It comes at an odd time with the portal currently closed for others. Most schools are pretty well set I would think and don't have open schollys. It's just circumstantial. I think everyone's gonna stay and the only hole to fill is Jans assistant coach chair.

She appears to be the smartest

I think it almost impossible for a legendary coach to retire "too soon" (can anyone think of any examples?), but there seem to be plenty of cases of hanging on too long. Go out on top, and set the program up for future success.

I think it almost impossible for a legendary coach to retire "too soon" (can anyone think of any examples?), but there seem to be plenty of cases of hanging on too long. Go out on top, and set the program up for future success.
John Madden

She appears to be the smartest
I like to imagine the dinner conversation at the Ferentz household last night.

Mary: "Good for her. The press release said she is looking forward to exploring other interests and hobbies she has, and traveling with her husband David."

Kirk (staring down at his salad, focused entirely on picking at a piece of romaine with his fork): "Uh-huh."

Good for her... What a career. Why so many folks want to coach till they literally die is beyond me. Folks she's turning down 1.4 milly by not coming back. I bet she didn't make that her first 10 yrs in coaching COMBINED. Womens coaches didn't make shit in the 90 and even early 2000s. What'd she make over at Drake? That said she's made pretty good $ these last few yrs and I'm sure she's in great shape and obviously it wasn't a factor to her decision making.

She can go spend time with family and relax. I'm sure she'll root on her best friend Jan and the rest of the staff I don't expect any shakeup in that room really. I'd be surprised if Bluder doesn't attend many home games.

It's a proud day to be a Hawk. She deserves a heros send off. I suspect this had been in the works for at least a little while. Hence the quick transition to Jan. As close as those two are I'm sure they went to Goetz and had this talked out prior to yesterday and they just decided on announcing it how and when they did.

I'd seen someone on Twitter talk about how glad they are Barta isn't AD still and man I couldn't second that more. That idiot probably woulda spent a ton of $ on a search committee and wasted a bunch of time while recruits would be in a lurch and assistants left. Goetz is a pros pro from what all she's shown me so far. She doesn't mess around and makes the right decisions.
Although I disagreed with the timing of the BF termination it ultimately did not make any difference, so no harm done. I don't know who first thought of the Kinnick WBB game but I know a smart manager knows how to use other people's good ideas. So big win with that marketing move. The Lisa/Jan transition is probably going to go well, although Evy's planned heir, Jerry Burns, took Iowa from No.1 coming into the season to 5-4 and then had the first four of Iowa's 20 consecutive non-winning football seasons.

The real proof will be the year-to-year fundraising numbers. Iowa needs money and it needs a team relationship with the Swarm/NIL fundraising. Still happy Barta is gone.

Last edited:
A great career and retirement at the top. One could not wish more for Coach Bluder. Go Jan and staff!

Latest posts