Bluder announces retirement

She will be missed

Perfect timing to retire after 24 years coaching the Hawkeye Women

Two Championship games in a row, not just the Final Four

In other news: Kate Martin made the final cut and is now a Las Vegas Ace

Perfect timing to retire after 24 years coaching the Hawkeye Women
This.

Nothing left to prove, without Clark they may not even be ranked next year so there's not a FF or anything like that in the future. Immaculate timing and hopefully she's going to go sit on a beach for a few months.

And Jan IS the new head coach! Congrats to both awesome ladies!
The second I saw the headline that Coach Bluder was retiring, my first thought was that must mean Jan has been promoted to head coach. One of the biggest no-brainer moves that Beth Geotz will ever have to make.

I wonder if Bluder is done for good or would she consider maybe coaching in the WNBA after taking a year off.

Lisa Bluder Announces Retirement

Longtime Assistant Jan Jensen Taking Over Iowa Program

This.

Nothing left to prove, without Clark they may not even be ranked next year so there's not a FF or anything like that in the future. Immaculate timing and hopefully she's going to go sit on a beach for a few months.
They will be younger and obviously less talented but they're still a legit top 20 / sweet-16 team with Lucy Olsen + a very solid core. Add in a handful of top 100 signees in '24 and '25, all running Bluder's system and they're in reload mode.

I get the sentiment - "go out on top" - and JJ is a seamless promotion but hope it doesn't set them back.

I wonder if Bluder is done for good or would she consider maybe coaching in the WNBA after taking a year off.

I have a feeling that she wouldn't want to deal with the massive egos in the WNBA

She certainly deserves a long happy retirement

Like Diehard I didn’t see this coming. Football and men’s basketball are now on deck, Fran and Kirk will not be around much longer.

Last edited:
The three highest profile coaches at Iowa are all in their 60's. They may all leave in reverse order with KF staying the longest. Hard to believe Lisa's retired when she is only 62.

Good for her... What a career. Why so many folks want to coach till they literally die is beyond me. Folks she's turning down 1.4 milly by not coming back. I bet she didn't make that her first 10 yrs in coaching COMBINED. Womens coaches didn't make shit in the 90 and even early 2000s. What'd she make over at Drake? That said she's made pretty good $ these last few yrs and I'm sure she's in great shape and obviously it wasn't a factor to her decision making.

She can go spend time with family and relax. I'm sure she'll root on her best friend Jan and the rest of the staff I don't expect any shakeup in that room really. I'd be surprised if Bluder doesn't attend many home games.

It's a proud day to be a Hawk. She deserves a heros send off. I suspect this had been in the works for at least a little while. Hence the quick transition to Jan. As close as those two are I'm sure they went to Goetz and had this talked out prior to yesterday and they just decided on announcing it how and when they did.

I'd seen someone on Twitter talk about how glad they are Barta isn't AD still and man I couldn't second that more. That idiot probably woulda spent a ton of $ on a search committee and wasted a bunch of time while recruits would be in a lurch and assistants left. Goetz is a pros pro from what all she's shown me so far. She doesn't mess around and makes the right decisions.

Do you think this will effect any of the commitments decisions to stay committed to the Hawks or look around?

Latest posts