Padilla…”What’s the upside?”

While i agree with this statement Brian also indicted himself for coaching incompetence by stating that his backups arent ready.

Very few backups are ready in college. The practices are limited and Ferentz is all about reps. Honestly if they're gonna yank Spencer they might as well just see if they have anything with Labas. Brian's tone and answer aren't ideal, but these coaches see practice everyday and I actually trust their judgment. That line is such a damned tire fire right now there isn't anyone on the roster who is gonna move the needle.

Very few backups are ready in college. The practices are limited and Ferentz is all about reps. Honestly if they're gonna yank Spencer they might as well just see if they have anything with Labas. Brian's tone and answer aren't ideal, but these coaches see practice everyday and I actually trust their judgment. That line is such a damned tire fire right now there isn't anyone on the roster who is gonna move the needle.

Very few backups are comparable to your 5th QB who has started for two years.

But a QB with similar accuracy who might just have a little more movement with his legs or a quicker read and pass might gain an advantage. I remember when Padilla got the nod last year the very first game he started I noticed his quick passes and thought we might have something. He was fairly successful that first half of his first game. He then slid off that as he played, but it was promising at one point I remember.

Last year's Padilla was basically the same as last year's Petras. If Padilla isn’t better than this year's Petras now, it means they've both regressed.

Very few backups are comparable to your 5th QB who has started for two years.

But a QB with similar accuracy who might just have a little more movement with his legs or a quicker read and pass might gain an advantage. I remember when Padilla got the nod last year the very first game he started I noticed his quick passes and thought we might have something. He was fairly successful that first half of his first game. He then slid off that as he played, but it was promising at one point I remember.

Yes, once opponents get tape on someone they usually fade unless they are a generational talent like Manning or Mahomes. Even if the backup has better accuracy than the starter if the backup doesn't have the reps with the receiving corps he's gonna look like shit and will take time to learn the option routes and reads and crap like that.

Hell, though, with the bye this week if I was OC I would script 8 plays for Padilla and give him at least a drive early against Ohio just to give them something to contemplate.

Last year's Padilla was basically the same as last year's Petras. If Padilla isn’t better than this year's Petras now, it means they've both regressed.
............and think about this. With KF and Iowa being so locked in on having to spend so much time developing the QB and having them know the offense to the T, Iowa could be screwed for some time. If they don't have the confidence in the backup, who is backing up a 5th yr senior, what is going to happen next year. This if Padilla stays or if they go to Labas or another guy.

This is a 5th year QB and they have had no interest in going with anyone else. That's not a good sign, IMO!

............and think about this. With KF and Iowa being so locked in on having to spend so much time developing the QB and having them know the offense to the T, Iowa could be screwed for some time. If they don't have the confidence in the backup, who is backing up a 5th yr senior, what is going to happen next year. This if Padilla stays or if they go to Labas or another guy.

This is a 5th year QB and they have had no interest in going with anyone else. That's not a good sign, IMO!
I think Kirk values experience too much. Hell he didn't think Brad Banks was ready in '01 even tho it was clear to everyone who watched the games he moved the ball better than McCann. Ferentz thinks a guy who can't move the offense at all but rarely makes mental mistakes is more important than a guy who can move the ball down the field but doesn't have the mental thing down as well.

Kirk thinks he's right that McCann was the better option because Banks ran out of bounds once before the 1st down marker. For all we know there is an '08 Stanzi type qb sitting on the sideline. Not great and makes mistakes, but moves the ball and makes plays. We need someone that can get touchdowns. Those are guaranteed points. Turnovers aren't guaranteed points for the opponent. Especially when you have our defense.

I think that if Kirk makes a decision to do something different (whether it's a trick play or personnel decision) and something bad happens, then it's his fault for making that decision. But if he doesn't ever do anything different, then it's just an execution thing and takes the fault out of his hands. He just doesn't want to "hurt the team" by making the wrong decision. So instead he does nothing.

For instance if they are running their basic offense and have to punt, then they need to execute better. But if they decide to go uptempo, then get a false start tryong to hurry and end up punting on 4th and 1, then his decision to change things up cost them. I obviously have nothing to back up my feelings on that one. But when I apply that logic to things Kirk does and doesn't do, it seems to make sense a lot of the time.