Iowa Running Backs...looking to the Future (dangerous)

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I realize that looking into the future as it relates to Iowa's running game is a fairly foolish notion and perhaps a waste of time, but here it goes.

Damon Bullock: Sophomore, good quickness and burst through the point of attack, seems like he might have some big play ability

Greg Garmon: Freshman, he has big play ability, young and we might not see it emerge until next year.

Jordan Canzeri: RS Frosh or Soph, depending on if he plays this year. When 100%, has big play ability, great lateral quickness, can be used in a few ways, in the slot, maybe some jet sweeps, showed toughness vs Oklahoma and has added 10 to 15 pounds.

Mike Malloy: Freshman, don't know much about him yet other than if he hadn't fallen ill this week, he would have played yesterday.

Barkley Hill: Freshman, redshirting: Was going to get reps and was likely #2 back halfway through camp, behind Bullock

Mark Weisman: Sophomore, different dimension than any other back on the team, shows impressive quickness and acceleration for a player of his size.

Brad Rogers: Likely fullback most of the rest of the way in his career, unless AIRBHG goes crazy.

That's a lot of names, some unproven and still proving commodities and all but Rogers have this year plus at least two more years as a minimum. The Iowa offensive line is going to keep getting better this year and next year should be one of the best in the league.

Given Iowa's RB injury/attrition issues, I am more amazed how the Hawks keep finding answers

Why are you openly mocking he who shoul not be named?

I realize that looking into the future as it relates to Iowa's running game is a fairly foolish notion and perhaps a waste of time, but here it goes.

Damon Bullock: Sophomore, good quickness and burst through the point of attack, seems like he might have some big play ability

Greg Garmon: Freshman, he has big play ability, young and we might not see it emerge until next year.

Jordan Canzeri: RS Frosh or Soph, depending on if he plays this year. When 100%, has big play ability, great lateral quickness, can be used in a few ways, in the slot, maybe some jet sweeps, showed toughness vs Oklahoma and has added 10 to 15 pounds.

Mike Malloy: Freshman, don't know much about him yet other than if he hadn't fallen ill this week, he would have played yesterday.

Barkley Hill: Freshman, redshirting: Was going to get reps and was likely #2 back halfway through camp, behind Bullock

Mark Weisman: Sophomore, different dimension than any other back on the team, shows impressive quickness and acceleration for a player of his size.

Brad Rogers: Likely fullback most of the rest of the way in his career, unless AIRBHG goes crazy.

That's a lot of names, some unproven and still proving commodities and all but Rogers have this year plus at least two more years as a minimum. The Iowa offensive line is going to keep getting better this year and next year should be one of the best in the league.

Given Iowa's RB injury/attrition issues, I am more amazed how the Hawks keep finding answers

I was trying to figure out who it was at first as he seemed to quick for fullback. Definitely like him. Hits the hole fast and is punishing. No moves but thats fine right now. Better than nothing and as long as there is a resemblance of a passing game he'll get yards.

He is a great, great change of pace guy. He needs some work on getting low in the open field so he doesn't break an ankle with the low diving tacklers...but man, he's a nice option to have. He's got to punish people, that will soften the safeties up in the run game. With his quickness, I wouldn't like to take him on in the second level. I love the big back set...Rogers leading the way. If Rogers doesn't get too shallow on that goal line play where he and JVB collide...that was six.

I was trying to figure out who it was at first as he seemed to quick for fullback. Definitely like him. Hits the hole fast and is punishing. No moves but thats fine right now. Better than nothing and as long as there is a resemblance of a passing game he'll get yards.

With the OL continuing to climb the ladder, it can be a perfect scenario for a battering ram like Weisman...and think about this; that was his first game as a tailback and the first time he's had that many carries since 2009, in high school.

It's a nice list, and a nice wish, but past statistical history tells us that half of those guys won't make it to graduation. I remember a similar sentiment between 2009 and 2010 regarding the running backs that were in the stable.

Whoops.

It's a nice list, and a nice wish, but past statistical history tells us that half of those guys won't make it to graduation. I remember a similar sentiment between 2009 and 2010 regarding the running backs that were in the stable.

Whoops.

I refuse to give in to AIRBHG

I think this also shows just how consistently good the Iowa O-Line has been over the years.

Would love to see what an outstanding rb could do behind the O-Line.

Just curious to see what are rb production is once we match up against some of the more physical defenses in the Big.

Certainly some hope at the RB spot and the OL in the future but until they fix this passing game, I don't think it really matters. Look no further than Wisconsin. They always have good RBs and OLs but they are always average or slightly above unless they have a very good or great QB.

This just proves that KF is the Mike Shannahan of college football. The system works, so just plug in a healthy body.

Whoops.

I also imagine Iowa will recruit at least one good running back before closing out this recruiting class, probably two? So if you assume that some of these players won't make it (not a bad assumption) just plug in those recruits to the depth chart.

Latest posts