Serena flubs crowning moment

O

OO44

"Over the previous 63 minutes on the hallowed grounds of Wimbledon, Williams had absolutely obliterated the Russian superstar Maria Sharapova. She’d death-stared down the blonde, leggy Barbie doll, sending lasers down the line, making Sharapova lunge all over the court, hitting left when Sharapova was running right, and then, with a 120-mph ace, secured her Golden Slam and her place in history.

Then the 30-year-old who will end her career as one of the greatest tennis players of all time did something that could be interpreted two ways: As a stupid and insensitive celebration that dampened the crowning moment, or as a joy-filled nod to her roots.

The woman who grew up in Compton did the Crip Walk."

I would do a little dance myself if i won a gold medal. Congrats to Serena! She has won almost everything you can in the sport of tennis. Domination!

I guess I gotta go find a video of her doing that dance because the video in the article just had two idiot talking about it...

I would do a little dance myself if i won a gold medal. Congrats to Serena! She has won almost everything you can in the sport of tennis. Domination!

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you don't know what it means to "crip walk". It's not exactly a "little dance". I am embarrassed for Serena.

Who cares? I saw the dance...it was harmless and not at all tasteless. She was happy. She danced.

Some people will go out of their way these days to find reasons to drag others down.

How many kids flash 'signs' at sporting events? Reggie Evans did it all the time, but since he was a Hawkeye, no worries.

Oh for Pete's sake...that's the Crips walk? Is it trade marked? Who cares?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NliGTW8lCZY"]Serena Williams crip walks [wins gold] - YouTube[/ame]

That was kind of cute. I like that Venus was there to cheer her sis.

"Over the previous 63 minutes on the hallowed grounds of Wimbledon, Williams had absolutely obliterated the Russian superstar Maria Sharapova. She’d death-stared down the blonde, leggy Barbie doll, sending lasers down the line, making Sharapova lunge all over the court, hitting left when Sharapova was running right, and then, with a 120-mph ace, secured her Golden Slam and her place in history.

Then the 30-year-old who will end her career as one of the greatest tennis players of all time did something that could be interpreted two ways: As a stupid and insensitive celebration that dampened the crowning moment, or as a joy-filled nod to her roots.

The woman who grew up in Compton did the Crip Walk."

Yawn

Tennis is a prestige sport patronized mainly by old white money and the educated elite. Dancing like that is disrespectful and childish. Calling Serena out for acting childish and disrespectful to the backbone of tennis' fan base is NOT RACIST.

In the grand scheme of things, this little dance isn't that big of a deal. It was a dominating performance, and she is champion of the world.

Last edited:
"Reid Forgrave has worked for the Des Moines Register, the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Seattle Times. His work has been recognized by Associated Press Sports Editors, the Livingston Awards for Young Journalists, and the American Association of Sunday and Feature Editors."

"Reid Forgrave has worked for the Des Moines Register, the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Seattle Times. His work has been recognized by Associated Press Sports Editors, the Livingston Awards for Young Journalists, and the American Association of Sunday and Feature Editors."

Should include "in a pathetic attempt to gain attention, Reid Forgrave tries to manufacture cultural and race-related controversy where there is none, and employs over-the-top hyperbole, strawmen, and laughably off-the-mark cultural references."

Not everything is about race. John McEnroe was far worse acting and I thought he was
very disrepectful.

This is about a hallowed place at a historic event. Serena is not a kid as she is 30 years old.

Latest posts