I'm Pumped about Iowa BB

there will be struggles because there will be a lot on the plate for some freshmen. last yr there was 1 frosh that had significant things thrown on his plate...white. jo didnt because he was backing up a 35 minute guy. to say we have experience at the point is wrong. if we have to play marble at the point we will be in trouble...he is decent at the point means he is average at best and if he has to play pg it means we have downgraded 2 positions...pg and and a wing.pg - 2 frosh...no experience, downgrade from bc at least to start the yr hopefully better. bc was a better pg than marble (when bc was healthy).sg - 1 soph and 1 frosh...little experience as jo didnt play a lot backing up top player last yr. downgrade both offensively and defensively but in the long run i believe jo has a higher ceiling than matt did...hopefully he reaches it.sf - 1 jr and 1 sr...most experience here and 2nd strongest position. marble will take a little time to become the best version of him because of the time at pg he will be behind where he should be. may if healthy can provide more wing rebounding and defense. marble and/or may will also play the sg spot to help with experience. marble will play some at the pg but little and if it is more we will struggle.pf - 1 soph and 1 jr and 1 frosh...deep and strong and experienced. i dont think that meyer will play much unless he plays center. basabe could be that spark guy as a sixth man and aw wont let up on his hold of the starting spot.c - 1 jr and 1 frosh and 1 soph...experience from mccabe even though he is more of a 4 but he will play 5 until woody is ready and then probably back him up. we got better here because of depth at first and the skill will come as woody does.really only 2 or 3 positions are better than last yr. pg will at least start slow. sg will be a downgrade even if marble is there. sf will be better if marble is there anyone else and it is at best the same. pf is definitely strong and we will be relying on them. center is about the same with zach and will improve as woody does.we should end the yr as a better team than last yr but we will struggle at first and will not start the yr as a better team than last yr. too many young players for that.
I disagree with all of this. Quality of players means alot and we are deeper and more of them. This will be a good year.

so you are saying that the frosh will come in and have no learning curve...hope you are right but you seem to be living in a fairy tale land. gesell will become an upgrade at pg but he will struggle some at first and we will need clemmons to be solid because gesell wont be a 30 min guy. woody will struggle at first learning how to play at this level and speed...bigs tend to take longer to get acclimated. i didnt say we wouldnt be good (i think we will be at the end of the yr). but we will start slow. we should beat teams but it wont be smooth sailing. we have very little experience and depth on the perimeter (marble, may, ogelsby) and jo has very little. last yr we had more experience on the perimeter. center will be tough until woody is fully ready...zach is under sized, woody is going to foul, and olaseni has played like 5 yrs total of basketball.

do we have more talent/potential than last yr? yes

but potential is worth as much as my toilet paper...it is about what you do. when this much is put on freshmen you take your lumps early unless they are game changers like uk gets but they arent.

i could see may start at the 3 and marble play the 2 so they can bring jo along a little slower. but jo at the 2 and marble at the 3 is a better group.

explain where i am wrong with my assessment...please. because little content was given.

so you are saying that the frosh will come in and have no learning curve...hope you are right but you seem to be living in a fairy tale land. gesell will become an upgrade at pg but he will struggle some at first and we will need clemmons to be solid because gesell wont be a 30 min guy. woody will struggle at first learning how to play at this level and speed...bigs tend to take longer to get acclimated. i didnt say we wouldnt be good (i think we will be at the end of the yr). but we will start slow. we should beat teams but it wont be smooth sailing. we have very little experience and depth on the perimeter (marble, may, ogelsby) and jo has very little. last yr we had more experience on the perimeter. center will be tough until woody is fully ready...zach is under sized, woody is going to foul, and olaseni has played like 5 yrs total of basketball.

but potential is worth as much as my toilet paper...it is about what you do. when this much is put on freshmen you take your lumps early unless they are game changers like uk gets but they arent.

i could see may start at the 3 and marble play the 2 so they can bring jo along a little slower. but jo at the 2 and marble at the 3 is a better group.

explain where i am wrong with my assessment...please. because little content was given.

Sorry Foval, but I disagree with you also. Needless to say many said that last year we couldn't replace Cole in the middle, but we did, the team improved and made the NIT.

There is no way that Gesell and Clemons are less productive than Cartwright was last year. We will lose production at the SG, but our SF, PF, and C play will all improve.

That is just my opinion.....it just happens to be different than yours. :p

so you are saying that the frosh will come in and have no learning curve...hope you are right but you seem to be living in a fairy tale land. gesell will become an upgrade at pg but he will struggle some at first and we will need clemmons to be solid because gesell wont be a 30 min guy. woody will struggle at first learning how to play at this level and speed...bigs tend to take longer to get acclimated. i didnt say we wouldnt be good (i think we will be at the end of the yr). but we will start slow. we should beat teams but it wont be smooth sailing. we have very little experience and depth on the perimeter (marble, may, ogelsby) and jo has very little. last yr we had more experience on the perimeter. center will be tough until woody is fully ready...zach is under sized, woody is going to foul, and olaseni has played like 5 yrs total of basketball.do we have more talent/potential than last yr? yesbut potential is worth as much as my toilet paper...it is about what you do. when this much is put on freshmen you take your lumps early unless they are game changers like uk gets but they arent.i could see may start at the 3 and marble play the 2 so they can bring jo along a little slower. but jo at the 2 and marble at the 3 is a better group.explain where i am wrong with my assessment...please. because little content was given.
Sorry Foval, but I disagree with you also. Needless to say many said that last year we couldn't replace Cole in the middle, but we did, the team improved and made the NIT. There is no way that Gesell and Clemons are less productive than Cartwright was last year. We will lose production at the SG, but our SF, PF, and C play will all improve.That is just my opinion.....it just happens to be different than yours. :p

i stated we will struggle at first...to say with how much we are putting on frosh that they will come in and just automatically be better is a pipe dream. we have 3 positions that will be better than last yr when we start but pg and sg will take developing.

to say i will be wrong on every account means you dont fully understand basketball...i accept i could be wrong but to say there will be no growing pains next yr is ignorant. even kentucky had some growing pains last yr and look at the talent they had.

I get what your saying but I can easily argue the other side.

Iowa will almost certainly be better to start the year than they were last year. That was as pathetic a start to a season as I can remember. Campbell, UNI?

At PG, Cartwright had a handfull of effective games at most last year. Gessel/Clemons wont start off as good as Bryce was two years ago but from day one they should easily be better than what we had the majority of the time last year.

Aaron White right now is , no exaggeration, probably 5 times the player he was to start last year.

Basabe is also capable of being much better than he was most of last year, well see what happens there.

Marble should at least be slightly improved and bigger.

McCabe, Woodbury, Olesani, Myer is an enormousness upgrade from the center position last year from the get go.

May will also be better if for no there reason he is healthy.

That leaves Ogeslsby as the one downgrade IMO, and while he is not nearly as good a defender he may be able to make just as many 3s because he won't be a primary focus.

The team now has an option to A, work outside in with Woodbury who is a great passing big, B, drive and kick with Clemons and Gessel, C, will often have more shooters on the floor at one time vs last year, especially if McCabe continues to stroke it and D, should be a much better passing team.

i stated we will struggle at first...to say with how much we are putting on frosh that they will come in and just automatically be better is a pipe dream. we have 3 positions that will be better than last yr when we start but pg and sg will take developing.

to say i will be wrong on every account means you dont fully understand basketball...i accept i could be wrong but to say there will be no growing pains next yr is ignorant. even kentucky had some growing pains last yr and look at the talent they had.

I never said you were wrong on every account. It is an opinion, and ours differ is all, as neither one of us KNOWS what will happen next year. I think our PG position will be as effective as Cartwright was last year from day one. Once again it is an opinion based on the fact that Cartwright was hurt and ineffective for most of the year last year, not based on the fact that I think they will be dominate from day one.

i know gesell and clemmons will be an upgrade but it wont be right away. they will have to learn as they go. bc (when he was healthy) drove the team and they played at a different level when he was healthy and out there. yes that wasnt much last yr but when he was it was good. i think pg becomes an upgrade after about 10 games. i can argue the other side also but i prefer to be pleasantly surprised rather than upset if things go opposite of what i see...i am optimistic but a realist. we have very less experience on the perimeter and we are an uptempo team...usually means turnovers until they learn to play under control.

We were a NIT team last year with Marble running the point most of the year. Gesell and Woody will be the heart and soul of this team in a couple years. I just do not think they have to be at the start of the season for this team to be successful. We knew nothing about White. People were way down on Marble. Many people asked why McCabe got a scholarship. Josh came in as a top 150 player and had moments of greatness. Those moments will be more frequent this year. We have four solid players that were unknowns at this time last year. BC and Matt are big losses. I just think we more than make up for them. Comparing each team from June 27 that is. Top 100 basketball players are that for a reason. Gesell and Woody will make a immediate impact for us.

i know gesell and clemmons will be an upgrade but it wont be right away. they will have to learn as they go. bc (when he was healthy) drove the team and they played at a different level when he was healthy and out there. yes that wasnt much last yr but when he was it was good. i think pg becomes an upgrade after about 10 games. i can argue the other side also but i prefer to be pleasantly surprised rather than upset if things go opposite of what i see...i am optimistic but a realist. we have very less experience on the perimeter and we are an uptempo team...usually means turnovers until they learn to play under control.

Sure, but the fact that he was very rarely healthy last year means they will be an improvement almost immediately vs what Iowa actually had most games last year.

Yes there will be growing pains, but Iowa was awful to start last year so even with growing pains at the 1 and 5 the overall result should be an improvement in W - L.

Sure, but the fact that he was very rarely healthy last year means they will be an improvement almost immediately vs what Iowa actually had most games last year. Yes there will be growing pains, but Iowa was awful to start last year so even with growing pains at the 1 and 5 the overall result should be an improvement in W - L.

i agree with this. though bc wasnt healthy they wont be as good as a healthy bc (not at the start).

i look at it as many think iowa at the start of next yr will be better than iowa at the end of last yr. that will not be true. remember at the end of last yr bc was at least good enough...this is what i am getting at. many think we will be better than we ended last yr. if that is the case then awesome but i doubt it.

maybe i am reading into peoples theories but this is what i am getting from them.

Actually I don't believe Gesell will start slow and yes he'll have learning curve. I think the PG will be an upgrade. Collectively, the 2012-13 team will be a much better team. I have a hard time picturing how they wouldn't be. We will be better at every position but SG. We have considerably more depth at every position. We may not make the NCAA tournament this year but the program is well on the way back.

Actually I don't believe Gesell will start slow and yes he'll have learning curve. I think the PG will be an upgrade. Collectively, the 2012-13 team will be a much better team. I have a hard time picturing how they wouldn't be. We will be better at every position but SG. We have considerably more depth at every position. We may not make the NCAA tournament this year but the program is well on the way back.

The Gesell/Marble tandem will be a huge upgrade over the Cartwright/Marble tandem. Cartwright was not good at Iowa. He looked better his junior year b/c the ball was always in his hands but he was perhaps the worst starting PG in the league.

The talent on the team has definitely been upgraded. Unfortunately, this upgraded talent is probably middle of the road, at best, in the Big10.

I don't know why there is always someone that wants to knock Cartwright. He gave Iowa a lot of great memories his first year. Its to bad he was injured most of the second year, but thats no reason for knocking a solid point guard that couldn't go with his injuries. Brommer is another guy that I think would of had a good senior year if he wasn't injured. I guess that people shouldn't take the comments on here to seriously. I suppose there are some Iowa state fans, Wisconsin fans, ect. that wait for opportunities to jab at programs.

Don't forget McCabe draining 3's and bodyslaming people blue style!

Mike Gesell will immediately be an upgrade at Point. Bryce never found his 2011 game, so Mike will be a welcomed site.

The sharp shooting of Matt Gatens will adequately be replaced by Josh Ogelsby. Josh may be the better pure shooter.

the 3,4 and 5 will have more talent and experience.

Not too tough to figure out that this team will be improved from 2012. :D

The Gesell/Marble tandem will be a huge upgrade over the Cartwright/Marble tandem. Cartwright was not good at Iowa. He looked better his junior year b/c the ball was always in his hands but he was perhaps the worst starting PG in the league.

Marble won't be playing any point, Clemons will back up Gessel and probably be the teams best perimeter defender.

Cartwright was good when healthy, at least in pushing the ball. Iowa was night and day better in transition with Cartwright vs. Marble at the 1. He was terrible on defense though.

Judging by that all star game Gessel looks to have really good full court vision too and is definitely a better shooter.

Marble won't be playing any point, Clemons will back up Gessel and probably be the teams best perimeter defender. Cartwright was good when healthy, at least in pushing the ball. Iowa was night and day better in transition with Cartwright vs. Marble at the 1. He was terrible on defense though. Judging by that all star game Gessel looks to have really good full court vision too and is definitely a better shooter.

thank you that someone told him.

I don't know why there is always someone that wants to knock Cartwright. He gave Iowa a lot of great memories his first year. Its to bad he was injured most of the second year, but thats no reason for knocking a solid point guard that couldn't go with his injuries. Brommer is another guy that I think would of had a good senior year if he wasn't injured. I guess that people shouldn't take the comments on here to seriously. I suppose there are some Iowa state fans, Wisconsin fans, ect. that wait for opportunities to jab at programs.

There are some who do not respect what a player gives to and does for the program and don't care to have their backs unless they made an all-conference team...the key is realize who those d-bags are and either A. Ignore them. Or B. Remember them and mock them every chance you get. ;)

Latest posts