Ferentz Passes on Visit to Henderson

I'm wondering if his dad being as overly involved as he seems to be may have ultimately turned Kirk off. He's already been through this once with Jake's dad.....not sure he wants to go through that again.

Just a thought.

Been through it twice with the Hill family. Remember Kalihl Hill? Great punt returner and reciever and when his younger brother came along KF ignored his existance which was absolutly the right thing to do as he had multiple problems before being booted out by ASU.

It's ignorant? We're successful, but we're IMO not a 1st Tier team. We don't out recruit the big boys, we don't have top recruits swarming to get here.

In no way am I upset where we're at, I love how successful we are. We just cannot recruit with the big boys.

What the hell are you talking about? Don't you think that maybe the coaching staff goes after guys that fit the system or their needs? I am sure there is a reason why KF didn't go on the visit.

Who the F' cares if we can recruit with the big boys, on the field it shows that we CAN play with them and that's really all that matters.

What do you consider a 1st tier team? We have 4 top 8 finishes in the last 8 years.

Clearly there is something to it. Either character issues, Daddy issues, or early commitment elsewhere are the three most likely reasons. Nobody would pass on a visit with a recruit held that highly in regard if there weren't a good reason. Many would go on the visit regardless.

It's ignorant? We're successful, but we're IMO not a 1st Tier team. We don't out recruit the big boys, we don't have top recruits swarming to get here.

In no way am I upset where we're at, I love how successful we are. We just cannot recruit with the big boys.

Why in the HOLY hell are you tying recruiting in with what tier a team is on? Shouldn't RESULTS determine that?

Don't answer that last question, it's rhetorical...I already know the answer.

I think you guys are getting all bent out of shape for nothing.

If you don't think we are at a disadvantage in terms of recruiting compared to the Bamas, LSU's, Florida's, fOSU's, USC's of the world you are nuts. When looking at the big picture of the whole we are a 2nd tier school in terms of recruiting ability.

That being said as we have shown we have the right people in place to make us a borderline 1st tier program in terms of on the field success. There is nothing wrong with that either.

Facts is facts.

One recruit automatically makes us a 2nd tier program? :rolleyes:

I think it says a lot about Coach Ferentz...I agree that many coaches would chase the dream even when the evidence clearly showed that they had lost the battle. Ferentz seems to never get too emotionally high or low and it seems that he hasn't bought into all of the SH hype.

I think it's very disciplined of KF to make that decision if he did indeed see a flaw in the kid that he decided didn't fit with the Iowa program...or even if he simply thought the kid was just dragging Iowa along because he wanted some additional attention.

Any 'insiders' have the information regarding what the family is saying?

With respect to the tier thing.

I would say that we are a 1b tier team.

There have to be more than just four or five teams in the top tier. We have four top ten finishes in the 2000's. Second tier teams cannot say the same thing.

Last edited:
Clearly there is something to it. Either character issues, Daddy issues, or early commitment elsewhere are the three most likely reasons. Nobody would pass on a visit with a recruit held that highly in regard if there weren't a good reason. Many would go on the visit regardless.

If I had to guess, and yes, I have to...I'd guess that they're going "dog and pony show" with it, maybe wanting to get the whole thing on video for that stupid show they're going to be on on ESPN and Kirk said "no thanks" to it...

I trust Kirk's "Spidey senses" more times than not so bye bye Seantrel. Good luck...oh, and you may want to be famous, just don't get there by flaming out because you're head's not on straight...being highly touted only guarantees you one thing, that you have further to fall if you're not successful.

Iowa is undoubtedly a 2nd tier team. I don't know why everyone is taking offense to that. We all know who the tier one teams are, and we know the advatages they have over Iowa.

Iowa is successful yes, but that success has proven to be cyclical. Just because we won a BCS game does not make us one of the big boys yet. There are teams that year in and year out have national championship hopes. We are not one of them. There are teams that simply reload after shipping a load of talent to the NFL. We are not one of them. There are teams that can recruit nationally and attract the highest rated athletes every year. We are not one of them.

Frankly, I cannot understand why a group of fans who pride themselves on their team's ability to develop little recruited players would take so much offense to a poster stating the obvious.

As far as 2nd tier teams go, though, we are amoung the best.

And also, Seantrel has obviously made his decision. That is why Kirk didn't go.

If you honestly beleive Kirk didn't go visit him for some matter of principle, you are just fooling. Iowa has not been recruiting him heavily for a year to suddenly back off at the last second because of his dad's behavior.

Assuming he signs with tOSU...is there any chance that we would get to see a Clayborn/Henderson matchup next year in Kinnick?

It is such B.S. to agonize over these "top-rated" recruits. So what if we don't get him - it opens up a scholarship for someone else who wants to be at Iowa.

Pat Angerer was not nationally recruited - look how he turned out.

These highly-rated recruits come in with big egos and a lot of baggage and often don't turn into great players.

I say good riddance -

Iowa is undoubtedly a 2nd tier team. I don't know why everyone is taking offense to that. We all know who the tier one teams are, and we know the advatages they have over Iowa.

Iowa is successful yes, but that success has proven to be cyclical. Just because we won a BCS game does not make us one of the big boys yet. There are teams that year in and year out have national championship hopes. We are not one of them. There are teams that simply reload after shipping a load of talent to the NFL. We are not one of them. There are teams that can recruit nationally and attract the highest rated athletes every year. We are not one of them.

Frankly, I cannot understand why a group of fans who pride themselves on their team's ability to develop little recruited players would take so much offense to a poster stating the obvious.

As far as 2nd tier teams go, though, we are amoung the best.

Exactly. USC, Florida, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, etc expect to win a national title every year. If they don't, then it's a lost season. I don't think that this is the way that most Iowa fans feel about the program. Iowa has had a lot of success this decade, but only has 1 BCS win to show for it, which does not make us a 1st tier team. USC has been to a BCS game almost every year this decade, so they are a 1st tier team. I think fans are just coming off this season feeling high and mighty. Kansas won the Orange Bowl a few years ago. Does that make them Florida? No.

We're getting really really close, though.

Bottom line is this little thing called "integrity" is coming into play, here. Ya see, whether we are perceived to be 1st tier is irrelevant. KF is sending a message that we ARE 1st tier and you either shoot straight and want to be a Hawkeye or you don't. Save the grandstanding, self-stroking game-playing for the other guys, KF's rep speaks loudly enough and it's up to you to either listen or be deafend by your own ego.

I wish Seantral Hendersen all the luck in the world making a monumental life-choice. For his sake, hope he is all he is touted to be + a bag of chips. However, as a chip-on-the-shoulder Hawkeye, I now actually HOPE he goes to OSU for his 2 year mandatory NFL training camp. I also hope he starts next season so Adrian Clayborn can welcome him to the B10 on national TV. Seems to me the Hawks make a point of showing many top recruits just how little difference there is between the "1st" and "2nd" tiers.

Remember the last "Best HS Lineman in the Country" we got? ya, never started. Recruiting is hype - we will see what happens with SH. KF has a reason for not visiting, I will trust his instinct

Bottom line is this little thing called "integrity" is coming into play, here. Ya see, whether we are perceived to be 1st tier is irrelevant. KF is sending a message that we ARE 1st tier and you either shoot straight and want to be a Hawkeye or you don't. Save the grandstanding, self-stroking game-playing for the other guys, KF's rep speaks loudly enough and it's up to you to either listen or be deafend by your own ego.

Yeah, because you know why Ferentz isn't doing the in-home.

Remember the last "Best HS Lineman in the Country" we got? ya, never started. Recruiting is hype - we will see what happens with SH. KF has a reason for not visiting, I will trust his instinct

In Kirk we trust and please don't listen to ANYONE, here or anywhere that says Iowa is anything but a TOP TIER program.

TOP TIER programs get ranked in the Top 7 in the nation. Heck, maybe Henderson already told Kirk he's coming to Iowa. :)

And if not, Iowa's FB program is in as good of hands as ANYONE anywhere.

Latest posts