More indiscretions tied back to Iowa football program

Fry, your post about "Hookers and blow" is like a Visa Card - priceless!! One of the better posts I've seen on this board lately.

Agree with most of this. I don't hear people complaining about Lester Erb serving up stale cheese balls or cold fries at the Culver's he opened, but if I did that would also fall on the Ferentz tree and need to be addressed.
Lester Erb. Lol! The fact that Eric Johnson, not erb, went on to run a culvers after falling from the ferentz tree sums up his coaching “tree” in general. It’s a dead tree. Compared to Hayden’s heavily sprouted pine tree

Lester Erb. Lol! The fact that Eric Johnson, not erb, went on to run a culvers after falling from the ferentz tree sums up his coaching “tree” in general. It’s a dead tree. Compared to Hayden’s heavily sprouted pine tree

Where did Erb wind up? Who was special teams coach during that Wisconsin game in 2010? That person deserves to never coach again. Most obvious fake ever. It still enrages me.

Where did Erb wind up? Who was special teams coach during that Wisconsin game in 2010? That person deserves to never coach again. Most obvious fake ever. It still enrages me.
Most obvious fake ever????

It was 4th and 4 at the Wisconsin 25? It take pretty big onions to fake it from there. Iowa should have been better prepared for it, but that was an offscript fake for sure.

Most obvious fake ever????

It was 4th and 4 at the Wisconsin 25? It take pretty big onions to fake it from there. Iowa should have been better prepared for it, but that was an offscript fake for sure.
Which is exactly why it worked. Fakes are designed to catch teams sleeping. It takes a good coach to sniff out when the opportunity might be there.

It was deep in the 4th quarter. Bielema knew he had to run it to win the game.
There was still 7 minutes to go in the game. In retrospect, it was, of course, a brilliant call. But, the notion that it was obvious or something that had to be done is not accurate. Iowa should have been ready for it, but as noted, you fake when it is least expected. Bert was betting the game on that play. If Iowa had a prevent defense called, Iowa would have gotten the ball back in field goal range with a 6 point lead. Just great coaching. He is brilliant if it works and a donkey if it doesn't. Onions.

Which is exactly why it worked. Fakes are designed to catch teams sleeping. It takes a good coach to sniff out when the opportunity might be there.
There was still 7 minutes to go in the game. In retrospect, it was, of course, a brilliant call. But, the notion that it was obvious or something that had to be done is not accurate. Iowa should have been ready for it, but as noted, you fake when it is least expected. Bert was betting the game on that play. If Iowa had a prevent defense called, Iowa would have gotten the ball back in field goal range with a 6 point lead. Just great coaching. He is brilliant if it works and a donkey if it doesn't. Onions.
If it was going to happen to Iowa there isn't anyone else I'd have wanted it to come from then Bielema. I still love that guy.

I remember the day because I bought a car that very day (2010 Nissan Sentra) and was at a bar in Chicago watching the game. Timothy O'Toole's. There were about two dozen Hawk fans there. Everyone yelled fake. According to my buddy Happy Chef who used to post here, everyone in our section at Kinnick yelled fake as well. The only people caught off guard must have been you, Kurt and Erb.

Here she is boys.... https://youtu.be/xC-stQIgBFY?t=5100

I felt terrible for Clayborn kicking ass all game and then that happened. 6:25 on the clock.

You could see on Kerk's face that for a couple minutes he was contemplating calling the league office to see if they'd put a rule in place making fake plays illegal. Kinda like how Nic Sabin hates hurry-up offense.

I felt terrible for Clayborn kicking ass all game and then that happened. 6:25 on the clock.

Damn it. Why did you have to post that? Yeah, now I remember, we definitely wanted to get max block on for Colin Sandeman to boost the return from 2 yards to 4 yards. I forgot DJK wasn't even back for that. Totally made sense to ignore the potential of a fake on that play. That's how you draw it up.

Damn it. Why did you have to post that? Yeah, now I remember, we definitely wanted to get max block on for Colin Sandeman to boost the return from 2 yards to 4 yards. I forgot DJK wasn't even back for that. Totally made sense to ignore the potential of a fake on that play. That's how you draw it up.
I remember thinking Wisconsin's wheels were coming off after that bad snap. Boy was my ass wrong.

You could see on Kerk's face that for a couple minutes he was contemplating calling the league office to see if they'd put a rule in place making fake plays illegal. Kinda like how Nic Sabin hates hurry-up offense.
Damn you, Fryowa, I refuse to watch it! ;)

I remember the day because I bought a car that very day (2010 Nissan Sentra) and was at a bar in Chicago watching the game. Timothy O'Toole's. There were about two dozen Hawk fans there. Everyone yelled fake. According to my buddy Happy Chef who used to post here, everyone in our section at Kinnick yelled fake as well. The only people caught off guard must have been you, Kurt and Erb.
LOL. I am sure your crew of Nostramuses from 2010 were also calling out lottery numbers too. Thanks for the super-accurate reporting of a bar event from 13 years ago.

And look, I have watched a lot of football games in bars and at Kinnick, and EVERY FUCKING TIME there is a punt, some armchair coach yells, "Watch the Fake!" Its right up there with "PASS!!!!" on a playfake. "BALL!!!!" on a fumble" or "GET IN THE HOLE!!!" at the Masters. Witnessing the event you recall is not exactly a chilling event of Kreskin-like clairvoyance that should be lauded.

So again, if your buddies can predict the future, let's go to Vegas and make some money. Otherwise, come on......

LOL. I am sure your crew of Nostramuses from 2010 were also calling out lottery numbers too. Thanks for the super-accurate reporting of a bar event from 13 years ago.

And look, I have watched a lot of football games in bars and at Kinnick, and EVERY FUCKING TIME there is a punt, some armchair coach yells, "Watch the Fake!" Its right up there with "PASS!!!!" on a playfake. "BALL!!!!" on a fumble" or "GET IN THE HOLE!!!" at the Masters. Witnessing the event you recall is not exactly a chilling event of Kreskin-like clairvoyance that should be lauded.

So again, if your buddies can predict the future, let's go to Vegas and make some money. Otherwise, come on......

That wasn't predicting the future. It was situational awareness and pattern recognition. Down 6, past the mid point of the 4th quarter. Fairly salty Iowa defense and Rick Stanzi under center for the offense. You ain't punting on 4th and 4 if you intend to win the game. You fail and you lose by 9 or 2, you punt and you almost certainly lose by 6.

That wasn't predicting the future. It was situational awareness and pattern recognition. Down 6, past the mid point of the 4th quarter. Fairly salty Iowa defense and Rick Stanzi under center for the offense. You ain't punting on 4th and 4 if you intend to win the game. You fail and you lose by 9 or 2, you punt and you almost certainly lose by 6.
I love how you keep representing that it was obvious that he should punt and that everyone knew it was coming ("you ain't punting"). That is laughable. Yes, it was 4th and 4, but you are on the 25 yard line. Very few coaches would punt there. You are betting the game on being right. Yes, Iowa's D was good, but it had already given up 24 points and as I recall, Wisky marched down the field and scored after the fake! Salty might be a stretch.

The gamble was even dicier because it does not greatly improve your chances of winning. You keep the ball, yes, but Wisky still have 60 yards to go to finish the job, whereas if Iowa stops the fake, Iowa basically can go up by two scores and run the clock under 5 minutes. Your chances of winning if Iowa just gets a field goal there are like 5%. It was a really high risk call and the reward was not that much better than counting on a good punt and defensive stop. In either scenario, you still have to drive the ball either 60 or 80 yards and score a TD.

The clear odds favor punting away. Then counting on a very conservative Kirk Ferentz to call three running plays that your competent defense stops. Forcing a punt and getting the ball back with 4-5 minutes to go on the 20 with a fresh set of downs. That was the smart play. Almost every other coach would have punted. It is incredibly rare to ever fake inside your own 25. Bert had onions.

That said, I agree that Iowa should have been more ready for a fake. Why set up a return there? Call a safe punt defense and fair catch the ball with good field position. Again, that would have been the smart play.

But hey, congrats again on being able to predict a fake punt in real time and noting that Iowa's coaches and one guy on a message board were the only people who did not see it coming. Yep. Credible thought.