Iowa State Is A Tire Fire

Bringing Patrick along with him, a double digit guy who's started 45 games in the B1G, would be a huge head start for any coach making a move, regardless of his last name

Jack and Patrick wouldn't be the reason you hire Fran, you hire Fran because he wins at a high level every where he goes. You hire Fran because he's just finished 2nd place in the B1G after losing a lottery pick. You get Fran because he's coached his 3rd straight NPOY candidate and all 3 have different names. You hire Fran because his team's have the best one of the best offenses in the country on a consistent basis.

You get Fran because while being the 10th or in some case 11th and 12th highest paid coach in the B1G and his finishes are

22/23 - TBD but as of now looking like 2nd
21/22 - 5th
20/21 - 3rd
19/20 - 5th
18/19 - 6th
17/18 - 11th - (one down season)
16/17- 5th
15/16 - 3rd
14/15 - 3rd

That's why you hire Fran, his kids likely hardly register as a factor but my thoughts are he's going to be more successful with them then not where ever that is. Couple that with the fact that Fran continues to win at a very high clip and NO ONE cares at Iowa. In fact, the fans still want him out in a lot of cases cause Fran stares at refs and is a real mean man.
Fran wouldn't be what I'd call an ideal hire for them. But he'd be an Ideal filler hire if they can't get who they'd prefer. Fran could go there for 5 or 6 yrs easy and rebuild/turn them around. I don't think he will. I haven't seen any smoke to the rumors on the internet about it yet but I won't say it's impossible. I just hope he doesn't. I think he's pretty entrenched here. It feels like it'd be bad timing with it going into PMs senior yr and Jack still being in HS. Iowa City is just about all Jack knows he woulda been really small when they first came. I think Fran stays till Jack comes to Iowa and is done (assuming all goes well and nothing goes off the rails) But who knows...

Bringing Patrick along with him, a double digit guy who's started 45 games in the B1G, would be a huge head start for any coach making a move, regardless of his last name

Jack and Patrick wouldn't be the reason you hire Fran, you hire Fran because he wins at a high level every where he goes. You hire Fran because he's just finished 2nd place in the B1G after losing a lottery pick. You get Fran because he's coached his 3rd straight NPOY candidate and all 3 have different names. You hire Fran because his team's have the best one of the best offenses in the country on a consistent basis.

You get Fran because while being the 10th or in some case 11th and 12th highest paid coach in the B1G and his finishes are

21/22 - 5th
20/21 - 3rd
19/20 - 5th
18/19 - 6th
16/17- 5th
15/16 - 3rd
14/15 - 3rd

That's why you hire Fran, his kids likely hardly register as a factor but my thoughts are he's going to be more successful with them then not where ever that is. Couple that with the fact that Fran continues to win at a very high clip and NO ONE cares at Iowa. In fact, the fans still want him out in a lot of cases cause Fran stares at refs and is a real mean man.

They won’t care at ND either. Hoops are so down the list at ND.

Fran wouldn't be what I'd call an ideal hire for them. But he'd be an Ideal filler hire if they can't get who they'd prefer. Fran could go there for 5 or 6 yrs easy and rebuild/turn them around. I don't think he will. I haven't seen any smoke to the rumors on the internet about it yet but I won't say it's impossible. I just hope he doesn't. I think he's pretty entrenched here. It feels like it'd be bad timing with it going into PMs senior yr and Jack still being in HS. Iowa City is just about all Jack knows he woulda been really small when they first came. I think Fran stays till Jack comes to Iowa and is done (assuming all goes well and nothing goes off the rails) But who knows...
There is all kinds of smoke on Twitter and the rumor continues to grow steam. It's on other Hawk boards as well. I personally don't think he's leaving but there are a lot of people who think we're watching the last 3 or 4 games of Fran's time at Iowa. While he's entrenched, I don't know if he or his family has ever really felt embraced by Iowa. I don't think Connor or Pat think very highly of Iowa and it's fans. I think the mental anxiety his kid feels makes Fran think "Ya know what, maybe we need some new scenery". I think back to the Gary Dolphin deal. I think about Fran always getting shit for his on the court shenanigans. I think about half empty stadiums regardless of success. I think of Fran wanting to spend his retirement years at a school that supports basketball. I think of Fran being woefully underpaid comparison to his results.

I just don't think it's out of the question.

Jack and Patrick wouldn't be the reason you hire Fran, you hire Fran because he wins at a high level every where he goes. You hire Fran because he's just finished 2nd place in the B1G after losing a lottery pick. You get Fran because he's coached his 3rd straight NPOY candidate and all 3 have different names. You hire Fran because his team's have the best Offenses in the country on a consistent basis.

You get Fran because while being the 10th or in some case 11th and 12th highest paid coach in the B1G and hisI take finishes are

21/22 - 5th
20/21 - 3rd
19/20 - 5th
18/19 - 6th
16/17- 5th
15/16 - 3rd
14/15 - 3rd

I take it you think I don't like Fran or Patrick. I have no problem with Fran or Patrick. I just wish the team played better on the defensive end. In Patrick's case, it could be a good thing for him to get away from Iowa with all the crap he has to put up. If Fran was in his 40's I would definitely be interested in him, especially since he was an assistant there, but not when he is 62.

What does his salary have to do with his coaching unless you are saying someone is going to increase his pay by $2-3 million. Maybe Fran has his name out there to get Iowa to increase his salary like many other coaches do but who really knows.

It could also be similar to Lute leaving. There may have been a couple of other things outside of basketball that caused Lute to leave but coaching at Iowa can be like a fish bowl. If Fran is looking around, maybe he wants to be in a bigger city instead of Iowa City. Who knows?

There is all kinds of smoke on Twitter and the rumor continues to grow steam. It's on other Hawk boards as well. I personally don't think he's leaving but there are a lot of people who think we're watching the last 3 or 4 games of Fran's time at Iowa. While he's entrenched, I don't know if he or his family has ever really felt embraced by Iowa. I don't think Connor or Pat think very highly of Iowa and it's fans. I think the mental anxiety his kid feels makes Fran think "Ya know what, maybe we need some new scenery". I think back to the Gary Dolphin deal. I think about Fran always getting shit for his on the court shenanigans. I think about half empty stadiums regardless of success. I think of Fran wanting to spend his retirement years at a school that supports basketball. I think of Fran being woefully underpaid comparison to his results.

I don’t know or have met the McCraffrey family, but from the few comments I have heard or read from Margaret I got the impression she was never truly happy in Iowa City.

I take it you think I don't like Fran or Patrick. I have no problem with Fran or Patrick. I just wish the team played better on the defensive end. In Patrick's case, it could be a good thing for him to get away from Iowa with all the crap he has to put up. If Fran was in his 40's I would definitely be interested in him, especially since he was an assistant there, but not when he is 62.

What does his salary have to do with his coaching unless you are saying someone is going to increase his pay by $2-3 million. Maybe Fran has his name out there to get Iowa to increase his salary like many other coaches do but who really knows.

It could also be similar to Lute leaving. There may have been a couple of other things outside of basketball that caused Lute to leave but coaching at Iowa can be like a fish bowl. If Fran is looking around, maybe he wants to be in a bigger city instead of Iowa City. Who knows?
I don't think I insinuated you didn't like them. I am saying that he doesn't need his kids for ND to be interested. I am saying a coach who has his level of success at turning around basketball programs and has sustained his level of success are a coveted commodity. Coaches that develop all conference players and players who are recognized on the national stage are in high demand. Coaches that have 4 star players as offspring that are also good coaches are definitely not going out of style any time soon.

I bring up the compensation because Iowa has not felt the need to pay Fran top half salary vs where his teams finish. Any time you are good at what you do and you are underpaid compared to your peers, you have a flight risk.

Patrick has 2 years of FWIW - and IMO, the whole Fishbowl thing is part of the reason I think he might just be ready to a restart.

Last edited:
I don’t know or have met the McCraffrey family, but from the few comments I have heard or read from Margaret I got the impression she was never truly happy in Iowa City.
What's she suppose to say? She's gotta be here unless he makes a move, she's only going to say positive things. But, from a 1000 foot view it makes me wonder. Do you think they watch how fans have treated her husband and sons? Do you think they notice that a week ago people were like "Fran fade, here it comes" .... Connor having to beg fans to get out to the stadium for big games?

I just don't believe they are all that entrenched and so over the heels in love with Iowa City that an opportunity to coach at Notre Dame would be something Fran wouldn't consider.

Honest to shittin, if they lose out they might be Opening Round material lol. From a 3 seed two weeks ago.
Takes away a Quad one win for us but it's worth it. Isn't there some weight to beating someone based on what they were at the time? I don't follow this stuff too much.

That's an angle I could see too for Fran to get a raise. How many yrs does he have left on his contract? I could see Fran using the ND job as leverage to renegotiate his pay. He absolutely is underpaid. Nothing is impossible when it comes to coaches changing jobs anymore. Here's to hoping he gets his raise and sticks around 5-7 more yrs. We'd be hard pressed to do much better then Fran I hope folks aren't kidding ourselves there.

What's she suppose to say? She's gotta be here unless he makes a move, she's only going to say positive things. But, from a 1000 foot view it makes me wonder. Do you think they watch how fans have treated her husband and sons? Do you think they notice that a week ago people were like "Fran fade, here it comes" .... Connor having to beg fans to get out to the stadium for big games?

I just don't believe they are all that entrenched and so over the heels in love with Iowa City that an opportunity to coach at Notre Dame would be something Fran wouldn't consider.

That’s my point I think she wants to leave. The few comments I have heard from her most of the them seem to have a subtle dig to them. If ND is serious about Fran it will not be her keeping them in Iowa City.

Read other boards, there are always "fans" that cannot believe how much their coach's suck. I read a few MS forums and some wanted to run Izzo out of town. I cannot believe ND would be any different other than they have not been relevant for some time. However, I am kind of thinking this is a play by Fran to secure a salary more commensurate with his achievements, and I have no issue with that whatsoever. Yeah, yeah, we haven't been to a sweet 16 in ages, but damn if we don't get to see some exciting basketball.............

That’s my point I think she wants to leave. The few comments I have heard from her most of the them seem to have a subtle dig to them. If ND is serious about Fran it will not be her keeping them in Iowa City.
Gotcha, I didn’t follow the original comment. IMO, they like Iowa but I don’t think they’re like in love with it, and I don’t feel like the fans have ever been in love with them. If that’s not a recipe for flight I don’t know what is. I would say Iowa has his age thing being in their favor as a reason for him not to get a look, but that’s about the only thing… which when you put everything out off the table and look at it, is not as big of a deal.

What the U should do is offer a bigger contract right now and force the issue. Put it to bed.

He's performed at a level better than most of his peers for less pay and not been a scandalous guy other than pissing off a couple blue hairs who don't like excitement and fire in a coach. Give the guy a big raise and keep him here to finish his career. Athletic departments are swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck and you'd easily find a donor to take some of the sting out in exchange for his name on the dining hall.

Fran has done a great job of getting diamonds in the rough. Fran style of ball is mostly fun to watch. Fran has not done a good job of landing exceptional athletes to run his system after identifying them. Kinda like Tom, he has a great system but struggles to find the athletes to run it. I think Fran has a complex like the guy always trying to prove how smart he is, overcompensating. I favor keeping Fran less than I was upset when they let Mr. Davis go. The lesson is it can get much, much, worse if you miss on the hire. Evidence the years between Mr. Davis and Fran. Pay him what he's worth market value but continue to have a short list of replacement coaches.

Lute was 49 when he left. Fran is 63, soon to be 64. That's a big difference. And I'm not calling you out specifically but the forum in general. It can't be both apathy and life in a fishbowl. It's one or the other.

You mean a coach who has been in one D1 school for 13 years has faced criticism from the media and fan base, and therefore, the coach and his family have never felt "fully embraced" by the community?

Come on. This is big time athletics. Any coach not in the Final Four most years is going to hear criticism, especially one who throws shit fits on the sidelines and puts two sons on schollie. Fran is thick skinned and not dumb. He will get the business from the media and fans at ND too.

KF has faced a lot of criticisms, media outcry, lawsuits, etc. He put three sons through his program, one of which is villain number one in all of Iowa athletics. Has he not been embraced by Iowa?

Fran raised his boys in IC, was supported by the school and fans as his son and wife fought serious illness, has experienced a lot of success and support through the years, and has been paid well to lead a very good, but not great program. The grass is not always greener on the other side. In fact, it is usually the exact same color. Be an accountant if you don't want to face criticism. Fran stays.

ISU has 1 game left and the conference tournament. As it sits right now, they could both be against 7th ranked Baylor. If they lose both of those games, they would be 17-14, and would have won 2 of their last 12.

Their big non-conference wins were against North Carolina and Villanova. Right now, Lunardi and Bracket Matrix don't have either of them making the tournament. Outside of automatic qualifiers, they didn't beat an NCAA tournament team in their non-conference schedule, unless UNC makes it.

They would have 6 wins against NCAA tournament teams, according to what Lunardi and Bracket Matrix have right now. Iowa has 11 such wins.

That's quite the resume.

Yet the metrics have them as a 6 or 7 seed in the tournament. They are already in the tournament and they will not be higher than a 8 seed. I get it, but man. Has to be the all time shitiest resume.

Back to the original post: I remember back to the beginning of the season -- which seems a LONG time ago -- and while watching the Clones thinking 'how are they winning so many games'? Then the Hawks blew them out at Carver. They have a young, inexperienced PG prone to TOs when pressed, don't have a difference-maker on the inside, and no guards who can get their own shot or take over a game. It was pretty clear they were living on D and 3pt shots...now that those 3 pters are missing the mark, they literally have no offense. They just kicked their best 3 pt shooter off the team...Iowa St. literally might not win a game the rest of this season. Their NET and projected NCAA seed has seemed abnormally high the entire season -- they've gotta start dropping at some point.
On a related note, I've watched a fair number of B12 games and the teams at the top of that league do pass the eye test. However, I'm not sold on the SEC tourney teams.

What the U should do is offer a bigger contract right now and force the issue. Put it to bed.

He's performed at a level better than most of his peers for less pay and not been a scandalous guy other than pissing off a couple blue hairs who don't like excitement and fire in a coach. Give the guy a big raise and keep him here to finish his career. Athletic departments are swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck and you'd easily find a donor to take some of the sting out in exchange for his name on the dining hall.
Say what?! Barta be proactive? It's absolutely what he should do but when has he ever done what he should when he should? He'll wait till Fran comes to him with a ND offer on the table or lets it be known he's looking around before he would.

I just looked it up and he is currently signed through 2028. He's got bonus's of some kind at the end of this yr and each of the remaining yrs on them called 'longetivity bonus's but I'm not sure how much they are.

Latest posts