Howe: Who Does the Brian Ferentz "Salary-Reduction" Move Satisfy?

This whole situation is just stupid beyond belief. Put on your colors, talk about the kids at the end of the first quarter, attend the games, school pride. What does everyone think how we are looked upon at this time from the rest of football world? Those things that I just mentioned are symbols of school pride. Pride to who? Pride to fellow college football fans and pride to ourselves. Think about the sound of a toilet flushing………. the butt and joke of college football fans and really anyone with a brain. Nepotism has such a negative reflection on the intellect of the fan base to ever tolerate it.

Good God man almost last in offensive ranking and the solution is to just stay the course?? The only sound of a toilet flushing that we all should want to hear is knowing that the AD, Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, select boosters, and University President are all inside of that toilet bowl when it’s flushed. Flush twice.

Then what would the sports world think of the Iowa fan base and the powers that be at the University.? But alas that’s not going to happen.

The answer to the first question is “what a bunch of losers and morons.” I didn’t even mention the lawsuit, and the negativity surrounding that.

Keep in mind that I am not saying that I am classifying Iowa fans as being losers and morons, but can’t you see how others outside of the Hawkeye family might look at that way? Those who are pushing the buttons from within may also think and feel that way about the fan base. What goes through these peoples heads???

Remember a former Hawkeye legend and what he already has said. Rob why don’t you go interview Chuck Long now and see what he has to say?

I will end where I began. This whole situation is just stupid beyond belief.

Classic Kirk...waits too long, then does too little.
That's Kirks MO to be reactionary for sure. In this case I feel like it's all Bartas doing though. I don't think either of the Ferentzs wanted anything to do with it. They just felt compelled to go along with it. I'd be surprised if Kirk liked any thing about this either.

It would have been interesting if say Brian didn't agree to it. These were amendments made to his current contract so he would have had to agree to them and put his signature on it. Would Barta have actually put his foot down? I don't think anyone thinks so. It's all so stupid.

That's Kirks MO to be reactionary for sure. In this case I feel like it's all Bartas doing though. I don't think either of the Ferentzs wanted anything to do with it. They just felt compelled to go along with it. I'd be surprised if Kirk liked any thing about this either.

It would have been interesting if say Brian didn't agree to it. These were amendments made to his current contract so he would have had to agree to them and put his signature on it. Would Barta have actually put his foot down? I don't think anyone thinks so. It's all so stupid.
Barta ... ugh

This whole situation is just stupid beyond belief. Put on your colors, talk about the kids at the end of the first quarter, attend the games, school pride. What does everyone think how we are looked upon at this time from the rest of football world? Those things that I just mentioned are symbols of school pride. Pride to who? Pride to fellow college football fans and pride to ourselves. Think about the sound of a toilet flushing………. the butt and joke of college football fans and really anyone with a brain. Nepotism has such a negative reflection on the intellect of the fan base to ever tolerate it.

Good God man almost last in offensive ranking and the solution is to just stay the course?? The only sound of a toilet flushing that we all should want to hear is knowing that the AD, Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, select boosters, and University President are all inside of that toilet bowl when it’s flushed. Flush twice.

Then what would the sports world think of the Iowa fan base and the powers that be at the University.? But alas that’s not going to happen.

The answer to the first question is “what a bunch of losers and morons.” I didn’t even mention the lawsuit, and the negativity surrounding that.

Keep in mind that I am not saying that I am classifying Iowa fans as being losers and morons, but can’t you see how others outside of the Hawkeye family might look at that way? Those who are pushing the buttons from within may also think and feel that way about the fan base. What goes through these peoples heads???

Remember a former Hawkeye legend and what he already has said. Rob why don’t you go interview Chuck Long now and see what he has to say?

I will end where I began. This whole situation is just stupid beyond belief.

I agree this has been (mis)handled atrociously. But I don't agree that it in any way reflects on the fans. And if other fanbases think that, who gives a rat's ass?

We're all pissed, but what can we do? We voice displeasure on here and with boos in the stadium, and we are gradually growing apathetic. Essentially no one is drinking the Kool Aid on this, thinking it is a great move. But football is a huge source of entertainment in the fall for hundreds of thousands in the state, and this team is still 2/3 excellent. And these players still deserve support. Do we pass on the entertainment? Do we not support the players?

Short of storming the Hansen Football Complex with torches and pitchforks, we are pretty much powerless here. So we laugh, cry, shake our heads, and go on cheering for our team. What else ya gonna do?

I agree this has been (mis)handled atrociously. But I don't agree that it in any way reflects on the fans. And if other fanbases think that, who gives a rat's ass?

We're all pissed, but what can we do? We voice displeasure on here and with boos in the stadium, and we are gradually growing apathetic. Essentially no one is drinking the Kool Aid on this, thinking it is a great move. But football is a huge source of entertainment in the fall for hundreds of thousands in the state, and this team is still 2/3 excellent. And these players still deserve support. Do we pass on the entertainment? Do we not support the players?

Short of storming the Hansen Football Complex with torches and pitchforks, we are pretty much powerless here. So we laugh, cry, shake our heads, and go on cheering for our team. What else ya gonna do?
Yup the majority either buy tickets go to games or stay home and watch on tv or don't.... Displeasure can only be shown so many ways. It's easy for the coaches and AD to insulate themselves from much of the media stuff if they want. But if the $ from donors and ticket sales dry up.... That's when action has to happen. Here's to hoping it doesn't get to that point.

I know everything you just said is true. It just sucks. We all want improvement and change when it’s necessary. You know it’s not good when your quarterback coach has no experiences at the position. You can’t make this shit up. You mention storming the field. Only SEC fans think that way……… oh wait they’re the ones that compete for nattys ever year and win them every other year. Silly me.

I know some on here may have thought the suggestion that including Kirk on that flush was a little bit strong. Let’s be realistic here, Kirk is calling the shots. The person who technically should be calling the shots is hiding under Kirk’s dress (I wonder if Gary talks to Brian when they are both hiding under that dress). So ultimately the success or failure of the program falls squarely on shoulders of Phil Parker. LMAO, you all thought I was going to say Kirk didn’t you? Phil is the man. He should be head coach. If he had the reigns with the spirit of excellence he brings to sport we could only dream what heights would be reached by the WHOLE of the football program. Maybe on occasion he could bring Brands in to teach leverage and positioning to the offensive line.

How silly would Brian and Gary feel and look if Kirk ever wears a mini-skirt.

As previously mentioned, this is a move to save face and pacify the mob. But I think in a way, it allows KF to insulate himself from removing Brian if things go sideways. He won't be letting Brian go, it will be Barta. Yes, the requirements are minimal, but regardless, at least there are some standards that will be sit IF things continue to trend that way for the offense.

At the end of the day, it's Kirk's program and it's his schemes. We've seen new wrinkles and some changes over the years, but it's still the same as it has been. You hear announcers and coaches alike say that Iowa does not surprise anyone with how they operate. It's execution, technique and etc. This is often noted when our guys get drafted to the NFL.

What I will say, I think behind closed doors there is a sense of urgency on KF's part and Brian's. We have been much more aggressive in the portal, and I think in part have addressed some glaring issues and needs.

My hope is, with some of the transfers and maturation of players in our program, that we not only exceed the expectations set forth for BF, but have a great season. I'm hoping we see some new wrinkles to the offense, or at least have playmakers that are to execute in our system.

We've dealt with this nepotism issue for a while. It was somewhat of a backburner issue until we fell flat on our faces with the offense. Hopefully, we see more changes on the field so we talk more about the players and games and less about Brian.

As previously mentioned, this is a move to save face and pacify the mob. But I think in a way, it allows KF to insulate himself from removing Brian if things go sideways. He won't be letting Brian go, it will be Barta. Yes, the requirements are minimal, but regardless, at least there are some standards that will be sit IF things continue to trend that way for the offense.

At the end of the day, it's Kirk's program and it's his schemes. We've seen new wrinkles and some changes over the years, but it's still the same as it has been. You hear announcers and coaches alike say that Iowa does not surprise anyone with how they operate. It's execution, technique and etc. This is often noted when our guys get drafted to the NFL.

What I will say, I think behind closed doors there is a sense of urgency on KF's part and Brian's. We have been much more aggressive in the portal, and I think in part have addressed some glaring issues and needs.

My hope is, with some of the transfers and maturation of players in our program, that we not only exceed the expectations set forth for BF, but have a great season. I'm hoping we see some new wrinkles to the offense, or at least have playmakers that are to execute in our system.

We've dealt with this nepotism issue for a while. It was somewhat of a backburner issue until we fell flat on our faces with the offense. Hopefully, we see more changes on the field so we talk more about the players and games and less about Brian.

Couldn’t agree more with every point. I’ve said many times. I want the best for my team. Can’t help but get upset when it doesn’t happen. Like one guy said in a movie once “I’d piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help!” First person to name what movie that statement came from gets to pick the next Offensive Coordinator……….. right now Brian is desperately googling it…… lol. Sometimes you just got to inject a little humor and laugh at shit.

I think Kirk wants to get his winning % above 60% so he can get into the HOF. That's what I think he's realistically hanging around to do and he's close enough to get that. He's not going to coach more then 2 or 3 yrs making another 20-30 wins tops being on the table for him. (that'd be 3 great yrs btw) Along with maybe (logically don't see it but maybe they do) handing the reigns to BF. I think that ship sailed even prior to the last two disastrous offensive seasons but if they are delusional enough to think different then maybe that's a motivator for them who knows.

I saw what Joel Klatt had said about the whole deal and he's right. The worst part will be as the season gets here and the players will be asked all about it. That's not fair to them at all. All of a sudden winning the game isn't the only thing they are going to be asked to do/worry about. How Barta came to the conclusion that this was how to handle everything is insane. It creates new issues and didn't solve any at all. You still have nepotism going on to the Nth degree and an offensive coordinator that stinks. Which is holding back the program.

Last edited:

Nice post.

SOL......ID!! Nicely done.

I'd be shocked if Kirk ever coaches another day at Iowa without Brian on staff. Brian apparently has few options to leave. And regardless of how the offense performs, Kirk isn't going to fire Brian. He may decide to move him around on staff for 2024, but he won't be terminated.

The worst thing about all this is that nothing is being done to fix the offense. There have to be plenty of bodies out there who are part of a successful offense who could come in and help put things right. The upside of doing that would be becoming OC when Brian becomes HC. I could live with Brian as HC if he had (and listened to) a good OC and that Phil Parker continues to run the defense.

Couldn’t agree more with every point. I’ve said many times. I want the best for my team. Can’t help but get upset when it doesn’t happen. Like one guy said in a movie once “I’d piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help!” First person to name what movie that statement came from gets to pick the next Offensive Coordinator……….. right now Brian is desperately googling it…… lol. Sometimes you just got to inject a little humor and laugh at shit.
Would You like to play a game?

Would You like to play a game?
The movie is War Games

The worst thing about all this is that nothing is being done to fix the offense. There have to be plenty of bodies out there who are part of a successful offense who could come in and help put things right. The upside of doing that would be becoming OC when Brian becomes HC. I could live with Brian as HC if he had (and listened to) a good OC and that Phil Parker continues to run the defense.
They are doing something that is way different beyond their norm. We will see how many of tge newbies actually play based on talent instead of what they want to do. Banks, Beathard, Wadley, Stanley and others are watching with interest.

I don't think you will see an overhaul of the offense. It will be subtle changes. That's KF. I liken KF to Bill Belichick. Similar theories on football which both were assistants together years ago in Cleveland. We all know it....field position, run first, and time of possession.

It's not pretty to watch. Fans for years have screamed for change in schemes, but we are pacified, by the 8-10 win seasons, and honestly, we probably are fortunate with the players we recruit and actually get.

What I have seen, whether media and social pressure, is KF giving a little. Taking a few more chances in lieu of "playing the percentages" or maybe some "trickeration". Still, we will continue to (for the most part) run our basic schemes.

What some don't see, is some of that is out of necessity. Iowa doesn't recruit and/or get the often the talent at skill positions, and if we do, we don't utilize them due to our approach.

Some of that is on our staff and our style. I get it. We've all said it. Who wants to come to a program that doesn't have a vertical game or throw the ball? Iowa does what KF wants, and what their personnel is able to do.

I think that's the execution part many outsiders say about Hawkeye football. We tend to get more out of average players, and often build some solid players that several end up playing at the next level that we would not expect. That's Iowa football.

Again, I hope we open a few new wrinkles and potentially. I think staff has done a pretty good job addressing a few of the glaring issues. We have a proven quarterback who is more athletic than we have seen. The tight end position will be solid. I have hope for the wide receivers, and I think the offensive line will be better.

Throw in a softer schedule. I think we could have a special season. Which will please Hawkeye fans, and Brian will hopefully an afterthought. I think the train has left the station for Brian being a head coach, I hope. With the past issues he was entwined with, and the lackluster performance, it would actually benefit him to get out from KF's shadow and the whole nepotism issue.

I, myself, am excited for the season, and so far pleased with attempts to address some of the personnel issues. Although, wait til October, and I might be eating crow. LOL.

Latest posts