Brian isn't going anywhere

BFer getting some financial accountability-

"Brian Ferentz’s annual pay has also been reduced from $900,000 to $850,000. If his offense meets the designated performance objectives, the offensive coordinator “will be entitled to a one-time lump sum bonus of $112,500, payable no later than Feb., 1, 2024.” Additionally, Brian Ferentz’s base salary will be $925,000 beginning Feb. 1, 2024 if the benchmarks are back."

As it should, this is blowing up in their faces.

Wow a totally tone deaf message this is. So, so desperate. Pathetic.

The pay cut is meaningless, but how in the hell did Barta get the 25 point average past Kirk?

Kirk must hate everything about it.

It's also a pretty messed up incentive, and problematic. So say Iowa is sitting on a 10-3 halftime lead against Illinois, or 13-6 against Wisconsin. Maybe it's windy. Normally Kirk is content to run the ball into the line for the third and fourth quarters and punt, and take the 13-6 win or whatever. Is he gonna risk throwing the ball around and a potential loss just to score another touchdown in an effort to keep the season average above 25 points? I think it is a legitimate question.

And if the offense struggles early, you know there are gonna be 25-point-Bri-O-Meter signs up at every game. And inevitable (and endless) questions from the media on whether that includes defensive points, are there exceptions for snow/wind games, what if the average is 24 points, what if the average is 24.4 points, etc.?

Seems like Kirk's worst nightmare as coach.

The pay cut is meaningless, but how in the hell did Barta get the 25 point average past Kirk?

It's also a pretty messed up incentive, and problematic. So say Iowa is sitting on a 10-3 halftime lead against Illinois, or 13-6 against Wisconsin. Maybe it's windy. Normally Kirk is content to run the ball into the line for the third and fourth quarters and punt, and take the 13-6 win or whatever. Is he gonna risk throwing the ball around and a potential loss just to score another touchdown in an effort to keep the season average above 25 points? I think it is a legitimate question.

And if the offense struggles early, you know there are gonna be 25-point-Bri-O-Meter signs up at every game. And inevitable (and endless) questions from the media on whether that includes defensive points, are there exceptions for snow/wind games, what if the average is 24 points, what if the average is 24.4 points, etc.?

Yep. But he's earned all of it

Sorry. You get the Gold Medal for undocumented, premature speculation, and unfounded assumptions with this post.

Sorry. You get the Gold Medal for undocumented, premature speculation, and unfounded assumptions with this post.
The whole thing feels absurd and unnecessary and like a complete clown show. Maybe it was even Kirk's idea, who knows. But it only seems to be pissing off people even more and bringing national attention to the situation. I can't imagine that's what Iowa wants.

I just did the math. Iowa scored 40 points on D last year. Let’s throw in 2 punt returns for scores by Dejean next season. We’re down to 21 offensive points a game. Say Kirk runs up 40 points each on Utah State and Western Michigan. We’re down to 17 offensive points per game among the power 5 opponents (with a bowl). And that gets Bri a two year renewal. Giddy up.

The whole thing feels absurd and unnecessary and like a complete clown show. Maybe it was even Kirk's idea, who knows. But it only seems to be pissing off people even more and bringing national attention to the situation. I can't imagine that's what Iowa wants.

I just did the math. Iowa scored 40 points on D last year. Let’s throw in 2 punt returns for scores by Dejean next season. We’re down to 21 offensive points a game. Say Kirk runs up 40 points each on Utah State and Western Michigan. We’re down to 17 offensive points per game among the power 5 opponents (with a bowl). And that gets Bri a two year renewal. Giddy up.
You are struggling. Look. I am not a BF fan. But glad to see at least some accountability placed on his performance.

You are struggling. Look. I am not a BF fan. But glad to see at least some accountability placed on his performance.
So 17 points a game by the offense next year in the Big Ten schedule, against Iowa State and in a bowl game would be accountability?

Why did they ever come out with these metrics? Most people seem to be ridiculing them (the metrics and the brain trust) just when last's week clown show of a press conference had finally faded away.

Now there is a good chance that people will focus on Brian and the offensive output even more each week. People will track the average. It sets up for Kirk getting questions on going for it on a fourth down, or leaving the starters in during a fourth quarter of an already secured game. Kirk just admitted they shut it down once he feels they have enough points to win. If he doesn't follow that same strategy, he'll get asked about it.

I don't see how today does anyone any favors.

If Iowa averaged over 25 points a game the last 5 seasons I bet they'd be close to undefeated.
Here's the data...

Losses that occurred in each season and the number of points scored by our opponent. Hawks have lost 18 games in the past 5 years, 25 pts would have erased 11 of them.

ISU - 10
Michigan - 27
Illinois - 9
OSU - 54
Nebraska - 24

Purdue - 24
Wisconsin - 27
Michigan - 42
Kentucky - 20

Purdue - 24
Northwestern - 21

Michigan - 10
Penn State - 17
Wisconsin - 24

Wisconsin - 28
Penn State - 30
Purdue - 38
Northwestern - 14

The category that should be measured....... is where they rank nationally on offense... case closed...keeping up with the jones' would be a start.
Top 60 would be a minimum and I'm sure the metric would be similar to the actual number represented above..........and secondly its stupid this is even mentioned outside the coaches and contract room negotiations . Talk about focusing in the media about something even further than needs to be dissected... and now we can all concentrate on a number...ridiculous...also makes no sense for Cade to be focused on stuff outside of winning.

Here's the data...

Losses that occurred in each season and the number of points scored by our opponent. Hawks have lost 18 games in the past 5 years, 25 pts would have erased 11 of them.

ISU - 10
Michigan - 27
Illinois - 9
OSU - 54
Nebraska - 24

Purdue - 24
Wisconsin - 27
Michigan - 42
Kentucky - 20

Purdue - 24
Northwestern - 21

Michigan - 10
Penn State - 17
Wisconsin - 24

Wisconsin - 28
Penn State - 30
Purdue - 38
Northwestern - 14
Isn't it possible for every 7 IA scored another 7 might not have been scored by the other team due to worse field position and less time on the clock for the opposing offense?

First of all I've spent a good amount of money on Iowa Football whether it be season tickets, tailgating Iowa gear.
Second of all I'll post when or what ever the hell I want.
Apparently any opinion that isn't your's, you feel the need to inflict yours. I guess if there is a post that annoys you skip it and go to the next that gives you the warm fuzzies. And yes it's Kirks smug in your face type attitude that my post was meant for. I've given plenty respect and at a boy's to KF over the years but BF staying in place when all you would of needed is a top 100 offense the last couple years with the special teams and defense Iowa has had to have something special compared to the mediocre display that has been on the field is a direct reflection on him. If fans want to point to poor o-line performance, or telegraphed plays that never work and poor QB play that is also on the captain. I'm realistic enough to know Iowa's never going to win a NC but not ignorant enough to believe we shouldn't be competing for big w titles. Where do you think the program will be when USC and UCLA get here. Are you really that naive to believe we're going to compete with the mentality Kirk is displaying?

SOLID!

The narrative that he would put mediocre product on the field or on the staff just to stick it to the fans is so asinine to assume that I will double down, triple down, even meet you personally to discuss it.

It's BULLSHIT, and so is your take.

Have you ever thought that sometimes we lose or look mediocre because the other team or other coaches are simply better?

Or do you think your place as a paying supporter entitles Kirk to kiss your ass?

Think about it.

The problem thought Northside, is that most those games are teams from the BIG West, which hasn't had a great reputation for high success. Then add into that struggling with lower division programs. But, I'll give you that Iowa has also had a decent cross division record compared to most west teams.

The problem thought Northside, is that most those games are teams from the BIG West, which hasn't had a great reputation for high success. Then add into that struggling with lower division programs. But, I'll give you that Iowa has also had a decent cross division record compared to most west teams.
My take(s) had nothing to do with any of that.

He thinks that Kirk puts mediocre product on the field and hires family on his staff solely to give his own university and fans the middle digit.

I said anyone who thinks he's even that important in Kirk's life must be a self absorbed narcissist.

Did anyone really think BF was going anywhere? Gets paid big time and has a guaranteed contract as long as Kirk is the HC. Kirk might be getting players from the transfer porthole, but he is still Kirk….

What sucks and really plays into this is that Kirk is at an age where he can afford to triple down. He wouldn't be able to in his earlier years in coaching when he needed the coaching job. He's old enough now where he can have that F it attitude and play that card. If it doesn't work, oh well, he'd just call it quits. This is the proverbial attitude with many who are close to retiring. When one is financially well off, there is no risk to triple down and the attempt of doing it is worth it for his son.

Last edited:
My take(s) had nothing to do with any of that.

He thinks that Kirk puts mediocre product on the field and hires family on his staff solely to give his own university and fans the middle digit.

I said anyone who thinks he's even that important in Kirk's life must be a self absorbed narcissist.

I agree.

The category that should be measured....... is where they rank nationally on offense... case closed...keeping up with the jones' would be a start.
Top 60 would be a minimum and I'm sure the metric would be similar to the actual number represented above..........and secondly its stupid this is even mentioned outside the coaches and contract room negotiations . Talk about focusing in the media about something even further than needs to be dissected... and now we can all concentrate on a number...ridiculous...also makes no sense for Cade to be focused on stuff outside of winning.

Agreed, but I would change the metric. Instead of points per game, I would go with pts/drive in non-garbage time situations (there are standard definitions of garbage time used by some efficiency metrics). Actually, I would go with pts/game in non-garbage time situations vs. P5 opponents. And then I would expect our OC to be above the median. I think there is less opportunity to stumble into meeting that criterion...you would have to have an objectively above-average offense to get there.

Here's the data...

ISU - 10
Michigan - 27
Illinois - 9
OSU - 54
Nebraska - 24

Purdue - 24
Wisconsin - 27
Michigan - 42
Kentucky - 20

Purdue - 24
Northwestern - 21

Michigan - 10
Penn State - 17
Wisconsin - 24

Wisconsin - 28
Penn State - 30
Purdue - 38
Northwestern - 14
thanks for the leg work - I wasn't far off.