Brian Ferentz: "I Did The Best I Could..."

You're getting whatever cart you're riding in WAAAAAAAAYYYY in front of the horse, my man.

The Big Ten is Ohio State's as far as the eye can see and then some. Iowa would beat OSU in a fluke maybe once every 15 games played. And as far as next year, winning the west is a low-chance proposition (about a twice a decade deal at best) and then you still have to take out OSU. The last 2 times we won the division were the softest two years since we started with divisions back in 2011.

This roster may be intriguing you on paper, but holy cow, man..."title run?"
Even the glass half full folks have to be thinking that's pretty dang optimistic. I hope that's just in reference to winning the west maybe?... If so ok I can buy that. But beyond that we aren't on OSU/Michigans level or anyone else in the top 5ish right now.

Just saw that NE is indeed hiring Bill O'Brien. So there's the domino we've been waiting for. Anyone went by BFs house lately? Might have a for sale sign in front of it this morning.

Even the glass half full folks have to be thinking that's pretty dang optimistic. I hope that's just in reference to winning the west maybe?... If so ok I can buy that. But beyond that we aren't on OSU/Michigans level or anyone else in the top 5ish right now.
Yep. The Big Ten is going to be OSU or maybe Michigan once in a while for the foreseeable future. Everyone else is just fighting for table scraps.

Unless OSU gets in a major scandal or something and loses scholarships etc, talking about winning the Big Ten is a pretty dumb thing.

That's like Ole Miss talking about winning the SEC. What a bunch of hooey.

It would be terrible if the offense is terrible next year. But a lot of those sacks wont happen because cade is reasonably mobile, the team will make more plays in the passing game, the OLine figures to be improved so that is cause for optimism as well. Hell they might get back to 2017 / 2018 levels of production - with or without Brian

Bill O is named today as the NE OC. Now we see if he brings in BF.

Last edited:
You must have a short memory. That literally happened two years ago.
I remember the game. I have tried to forget it. I just meant that with their former starting QB and their Team Captain TE now playing at Iowa, there would be some interesting story lines for Joel Klatt to yap about.

Not trying to be mean, but Petras was about the worst fit we could have had last year. Young offensive line that could not hold blocks and smallish WR who were not playmakers. Petras had a big arm, but zero mobility, poor pocket instincts, and was not accurate at all when he could not set his feet. Even if the OL is not any better, which I do not believe, McNamara is an upgrade in every way except arm strength. Having a playmaker at QB who can scramble will lift this offense by itself. But, I do believe that the OL will be improved. KF and BF will camp in that room and make it better.

We don't need anything miraculous on offense. Just competence, the ability to sustain a few drives, run the ball effectively, score 21 points, and not F things up.

Just saw that NE is indeed hiring Bill O'Brien. So there's the domino we've been waiting for. Anyone went by BFs house lately? Might have a for sale sign in front of it this morning.

In Dochterman's recent article, he insinuates that changes are likely coming for the offensive coaching staff. Might be as simple as reassignment of play-calling duties, but potentially up to BF changing roles (e.g. OL coach) or leaving for an NFL gig.

Not trying to be mean, but Petras was about the worst fit we could have had last year. Young offensive line that could not hold blocks and smallish WR who were not playmakers. Petras had a big arm, but zero mobility, poor pocket instincts, and was not accurate at all when he could not set his feet. Even if the OL is not any better, which I do not believe, McNamara is an upgrade in every way except arm strength. Having a playmaker at QB who can scramble will lift this offense by itself. But, I do believe that the OL will be improved. KF and BF will camp in that room and make it better.

We don't need anything miraculous on offense. Just competence, the ability to sustain a few drives, run the ball effectively, score 21 points, and not F things up.
Basically be the 60th rated O instead of damn near last... Amen to that. If Cade can make a new best friend with just one WR right away that'd sure be nice. I'm not picky about which one. Just one of them that he can go to to convert a 3rd and 7 with when the D is loading up on our TEs that'd sure be nice.

In Dochterman's recent article, he insinuates that changes are likely coming for the offensive coaching staff. Might be as simple as reassignment of play-calling duties, but potentially up to BF changing roles (e.g. OL coach) or leaving for an NFL gig.

Yeah I don't have a subscription to that. I bet I'd like the athletic but I just don't pony up for it. I'm not sure if you've seen this but Bill O'Brian was just hired to be NEs OC he's leaving Bama. So that leads some to think BF may follow him to NE and be an Oline coach or TEs coach or water boy or something. Anything that he can take and save face so he can leave Iowa without having been fired be on his resume. The Ferentzs and O'Brian are close. I know he's been to Iowa City to watch practices before.

Yeah I don't have a subscription to that. I bet I'd like the athletic but I just don't pony up for it. I'm not sure if you've seen this but Bill O'Brian was just hired to be NEs OC he's leaving Bama. So that leads some to think BF may follow him to NE and be an Oline coach or TEs coach or water boy or something. Anything that he can take and save face so he can leave Iowa without having been fired be on his resume. The Ferentzs and O'Brian are close. I know he's been to Iowa City to watch practices before.

Here you go, a link to a 30-day guest pass (first 5 get to use it):

It is $72 for the yearly subscription. Is it worth it? Through most of the year, probably not. But around signing day, the spring game, and all fall, it adds to my enjoyment of Hawkeye sports. The Athletic does really good work, and Dochterman is a nice blend of homer and realist, which is what you want in a beat writer (in my opinion).

To the topic at hand, I just need to see a change in the offense. I fully embrace the fact that the O still may suck, I just want it to suck differently at this point.

Here you go, a link to a 30-day guest pass (first 5 get to use it):

It is $72 for the yearly subscription. Is it worth it? Through most of the year, probably not. But around signing day, the spring game, and all fall, it adds to my enjoyment of Hawkeye sports. The Athletic does really good work, and Dochterman is a nice blend of homer and realist, which is what you want in a beat writer (in my opinion).

To the topic at hand, I just need to see a change in the offense. I fully embrace the fact that the O still may suck, I just want it to suck differently at this point.
I have a subscription and Dochterman is very good at his job, IMO. As you mention, for a portion of the year there isn't a whole lot going on. For Hawkeye fans, the strength is in the football coverage. Not a lot on the basketball side, which I have been a little disappointed in this year. It seems like they've backed off on basketball coverage from what they used to have.

I was going to mention today that immediately after Iowa's bowl game a couple Iowa sportswriters were consistently dropping hints about serious changes coming on the offensive side of the ball, implying they knew more than they could print. Then the past few weeks, crickets. Wondering what folks were reading into those tea leaves?

Wednesday Feb 1 is national signing day. I am.guessing coaching changes probably won't be announced until after that.

To beat purdue, minny, nebraska, etc…I agree. Beating penn st, Michigan and TOSU is an entirely different story

To beat purdue, minny, nebraska, etc…I agree. Beating penn st, Michigan and TOSU is an entirely different story
We don't have to play Mich or OSU unless they win the East and don't need to beat Penn St to win the crappy West.

If we get into the championship game anything can happen. We could get blown out again or hang in there and win an ugly one.

Winning the West is absolutely in reach for next year's team. They should be the favorite.

Philbin's getting fired by Cowboys, he'd be a Kirk friendly hire for OC.
I saw that and thought the same thing. The guy has not been in college ball for a long long time, so not sure if he wants to transition back to college this late in his career. But, given his connections to Iowa and his success as an OC at multiple stops, KF should pick up the phone. Look, if he has any interest, this is totally manageable if KF needs to keep his son on staff and protected.

BF could be named assistant head coach and OL coach. Or, he could be co-OC in charge of the run game. There is a title that does not look like a demotion. You put Brian back with OL and Joe coaching QBs and calling plays.

Again, I doubt he has interest, but this would be beyond an upgrade at QB and play calling.

Latest posts