Brian Ferentz: "I Did The Best I Could..."

Davis had a resume. It was a terrible resume. I work with Texas alums and they belly laughed when I walked into the office the day after Davis was hired. He was on the scrap heap. Not retired. Just no one wanted to hire him. KF found a guy no one else wanted!

And, I disagree BF had no resume. He was a runner and then a position coach in the NFL for Bill B. Then he came to Iowa and was a position coach and running game coordinator for a couple years. When Davis "retired" he was elevated. Every OC has to get their first OC job at some point.

Look, I am not the defender of BF. He clearly is not the most creative or talented OC in the world. But, he is doing what he is asked to do by his boss and that, to me, is the problem.

And, the point of my last point was this: we have a window here with this defense, punter, and kicker. We have an OL that while shit last year, will be better, bigger, and more experienced this year. Yes, Iowa could blow up the offense, bring in a fancy new OC that will spend his first season being handcuffed by KF and fighting against that upstream current. OR, Iowa can keep the coaching and system in place for next year, go out and get one of the best free agent QBs on the market, relish the last year of the shitty Big Ten West with no crossovers against Michigan or OSU, and go for an 11 win season in 2023. History under KF says that Iowa tends to go as far as its QB will take it. I will ride this historically great D out for another season and pray for averageness on offense next year. Timing is everything.....
I get your point. My point was Davis was bad, but even he was more successful then BF while OC at Iowa. BF has a resume, but so did many other guys that were looked over for the position that he was put in charge of. We can bag on Davis all we want but the difference was he was bad, but whether he voluntarily left or got shown his walking papers he left. BF has failed, dare I say by a greater margin, then the other OC's that KF put there and he's still employed and truly thinks he can right the ship and is going nowhere.

IF my dad put me in a position to fail and refused to do anything about it, if I'm truly a competitor and "doing my best" at what point do I realize my best isn't good enough and either ask for a demotion of find something else. BF is a big boy. If it's daddy's style that's the problem its still on him to realize and accept that and take responsibility. The play calling, recruiting, development is all part of his job performance. We can disagree that had the credentials in place or would have had a chance with his resume if dad wasn't running the program, but what has he done since taking over gives him a passing grade what so ever. Agree about getting a good QB, but I don't see it being an only one or the other scenario. I think we could get a QB and replace an incompetent OC.

If things were the other way, and Iowa was a Little 12 team who put up 45 points a game but could not stop a paper airplane on defense, I wonder how the fans might be? I guess it is not that far off from Fran's system in MBB, which everyone is kind of ok with. I mean, people bitch about Fran's D being terrible, but its fun when Iowa wins 90-88.

Yes Iowa's offense is a joke, but its defense and special teams are elite. More to the point, Iowa wins. KF won 8 games this year and it was a down year. The last 5 years he is averaging 9 wins a season. In our immediate circle of rivals, who would you rather be? Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa State?

All KF needs to do is squeeze a little bit of competence out of his son and OL and help his new QB just be average. If he can do that, we will win double digit games in 2023. You want to retire that??????

Agree. There is one phase of three phases of the game that need corrected. Iowa is ELITE in the other two phases, which many teams can't claim.

I also like those people who claim Iowa's offense is simple and antiquated. I like how when it works it's fine in people's eyes. When it isn't working, than it's simple, old, un-imaginary, predictable, etc.. Sometimes it comes down to the roster and performance of players. Now, I do admit it can be predictable at times and that is on the coaches.

Right now, Iowa is one phase of a game being off, and if corrected could be a very special team. Not many teams can say that. People want to take the chance and give that up?I think you are better with the odds of trying to tweak and correct your deficiencies in that one phase of the game, which I think they have and continue to try to do.

Last edited:
This is what people need to realize could set the team back a couple years. I like how some just think getting a new OC will be all and rosy and the team will all of a sudden turn the corner and break the top 40 in offense. People need to realize it takes time. As you point out, they may have the ingredients to have more success on offense now with the players that are now joining.

People need to remember how it didn't really work out trying to marry Greg Davis's offense to Kirk Ferentz's philosophy. It didn't really work too well and prob set the offense back a couple seasons which, they may not have even recovered from that at this point.

Interesting how you take a subtle jab at those wanting a new OC by stating "how some think just getting a new OC will be all rosy and the team will all of a sudden turn the corner and break the top 40 offense. However in the exact same moment you played the other argument against the point you were trying to make. Those wanting a new OC are not under the impression that we'll magically jump into the top 40. You get this team with the defense and special teams that we all agree are in place, and get to even the 60-80 range and this team could be dangerous.

And I agree and I stated previously that Davis wasn't a good fit, but it was more in reference that he was despised and IMO out performed the productivity we've seen from BF. I totally agree with you that the ingredients may be there, but do you really feel that even under KF's umbrella BF is going to be the guy to get the most out of them? At this point I'm not asking for a game changer at OC I'm simply asking for mediocre and I think we'd be in a better place.

Possibly attributed, but, Iowa is only one game in each of their schedule. I don't think that so much is the bar mover.

I think he was more pointing out the number of teams Iowa had to play with great defenses. I think that is more telling than trying to sell that Iowa on each of those teams schedules is the reason they are in the top 15 or so. That's ridiculous.
The larger point to take away from that list of top 6 defenses is that 3 of those defenses reside in the BTen West Division -- 4 if you add Iowa to the list. Are BTen West defenses REALLY that much better than the entire rest of D-I football? Doubtful. Are those defensive #s padded by playing an unusually high number of unimaginative, underperforming offenses in the BTen West? Very likely.

Interesting how you take a subtle jab at those wanting a new OC by stating "how some think just getting a new OC will be all rosy and the team will all of a sudden turn the corner and break the top 40 offense. However in the exact same moment you played the other argument against the point you were trying to make. Those wanting a new OC are not under the impression that we'll magically jump into the top 40. You get this team with the defense and special teams that we all agree are in place, and get to even the 60-80 range and this team could be dangerous.

And I agree and I stated previously that Davis wasn't a good fit, but it was more in reference that he was despised and IMO out performed the productivity we've seen from BF. I totally agree with you that the ingredients may be there, but do you really feel that even under KF's umbrella BF is going to be the guy to get the most out of them? At this point I'm not asking for a game changer at OC I'm simply asking for mediocre and I think we'd be in a better place.
I guess I need clarification what you are referencing in the bold.

I agree with much of what you point out. I'm not sold on BF by any means. There prob is better OC out there that can run this pro-style offense and call more unpredictable plays. I was merely pointing out that much of it isn't on the offensive style, and that bringing in a new OC with a different offensive game plan might not be the best situation in this situation and might not marry with KF's philosophy as fast as some people would like. But, is there ever a perfect time? Maybe they should just jump in the deep end and reset. I dunno.

The larger point to take away from that list of top 6 defenses is that 3 of those defenses reside in the BTen West Division -- 4 if you add Iowa to the list. Are BTen West defenses REALLY that much better than the entire rest of D-I football? Doubtful. Are those defensive #s padded by playing an unusually high number of unimaginative, underperforming offenses in the BTen West? Very likely.

Very fair point.

I guess I need clarification what you are referencing in the bold.

I agree with much of what you point out. I'm not sold on BF by any means. There prob is better OC out there that can run this pro-style offense and call more unpredictable plays. I was merely pointing out that much of it isn't on the offensive style, and that bringing in a new OC with a different offensive game plan might not be the best situation in this situation and might not marry with KF's philosophy as fast as some people would like. But, is there ever a perfect time? Maybe they should just jump in the deep end and reset. I dunno.
Sorry I misinterpreted your original post. I thought you were taking a shot at those that want a change at OC as having the mentality in doing so would immediately bring about change. My argument (at work so in the midst of multitasking) was those of us that want such change aren't wanting the world or dreaming of a top 40 offense, but feel as though this team would be more then dangerous if the offense were to jump from horrendous to even marginally below average LOL.

Didn't stop Purdue or Charlie from getting #s

Sorry I misinterpreted your original post. I thought you were taking a shot at those that want a change at OC as having the mentality in doing so would immediately bring about change. My argument (at work so in the midst of multitasking) was those of us that want such change aren't wanting the world or dreaming of a top 40 offense, but feel as though this team would be more then dangerous if the offense were to jump from horrendous to even marginally below average LOL.

Well, you weren't completely off. I stated "some" because I really feel there are some out there that think this is a quick and easy fix if ya just bring in another coach. It sounds easier than it prob is. I think there are a lot of people who are pretty grounded who realize that it might not happen overnight. But, I also acknowledge something HAS to be done. A p5 program shouldn't be at the bottom 3 yrs in a row.

Yes, I admit even being in the 75 range would be a good start for Iowa. I just threw 40 out that to make my point.

I acknowledge it would be stupid for Iowa to not make changes to become more competitive offensively. It's tricky for teams like Iowa because they recruit to manufacture talent for their positions which takes time. It's much easier to change on the fly if you are a team loaded with high profile talent with 4 & 5* players.

I think this is a fair debate and one I hope KF is having. There are good and bad examples, but as Fry loves to state on here, any coaching hire is a crap shoot.

Nebbie went out and hired one of the best OC in the country, a guy who just coached a first round draft pick QB, and brought him in to run Frost's offense. Actually, to run his own offense. But, it never meshed with what Frost wanted or with the players they had. Nebbie's offense was terrible. It blew up in their faces. Now, maybe over time it would have gotten better, but Frost did not have time.

I don't believe KF has time for a new offensive philosophy and system and person. He has an elite defense and special teams now. I would muddle through with my dumb kid and hope that with a talented QB who knows the conference, we can be like the 80th best offense in the country.

We can print T-shirts (We're # 80!!!!!)

There are good and bad examples, but as Fry loves to state on here, any coaching hire is a crap shoot.
Actually coaching hires are worse than a crapshoot.

The odds are FAR more likely that you'll hire a turd than a good one who'll do better than his or her predecessor. When you take things into account like wrecking existing culture, it becomes even more perilous. A crap shoot implies that it's a 50/50 coin toss, but your odds are way worse than that.

Where Iowa sits with BF, however, it objectively and figuratively can't get worse at this level than Brian, so Iowa's chances of improvement are better than average.

I would muddle through with my dumb kid and hope that with a talented QB who knows the conference, we can be like the 80th best offense in the country.
That might make sense if KF thought that way. He doesn't think Brian is his dumb kid that he has to muddle through with.

KF honestly thinks Brian is a legit P5 coordinator. That and he still wants Brian to be the future face of the program. If you think Kirk feels his kid is a liability that he has to compensated for you're sorely mistaken.

That might make sense if KF thought that way. He doesn't think Brian is his dumb kid that he has to muddle through with.

KF honestly thinks Brian is a legit P5 coordinator. That and he still wants Brian to be the future face of the program. If you think Kirk feels his kid is a liability that he has to compensate for you're sorely mistaken.
I get what you are saying in your last two posts, but I think both thoughts get us to the same point.

First, while I agree that as one measures offensive effectiveness, things can't get worse than what BF did last year, but as you noted, what if a new guy fucks up the culture and still sucks at his job. By all accounts, this is a team first team, and there was no discernible sniping by the defense against the offense when they had all the basis in the world to want to drop kick every offensive guy as they stumbled off the field after their 14th three and out of the game. The kids worked hard together and did not blame, and seemed to pull in one direction. I think Brian is part of that good culture. Who knows if his replacement would be.

I also agree that KF thinks BF is not the problem. Or at least the system and the playcalling are not the problem. The coaching staff as a whole missed on the OL and QB the last few years. They all share in that blame. As KF loves to say, they just have to keep grinding. Coaches too.

Whether he thinks his kid is the problem or not, I agree with you that he is going to stick with him. As posited in my other posts, while I think BF is a weak link, I just think the timing is wrong to blow up the offense. After next year, Iowa's football universe is going to change when the West is put to a merciful death and teams like Wisky and Nebbie start to rise with their new coaches. 2023 is KF's year to take a last shot at a title. You don't blow up your staff and system when you are poised for a title run.

You don't blow up your staff and system when you are poised for a title run.
You're getting whatever cart you're riding in WAAAAAAAAYYYY in front of the horse, my man.

The Big Ten is Ohio State's as far as the eye can see and then some. Iowa would beat OSU in a fluke maybe once every 15 games played. And as far as next year, winning the west is a low-chance proposition (about a twice a decade deal at best) and then you still have to take out OSU. The last 2 times we won the division were the softest two years since we started with divisions back in 2011.

This roster may be intriguing you on paper, but holy cow, man..."title run?"

You're getting whatever cart you're riding in WAAAAAAAAYYYY in front of the horse, my man.

The Big Ten is Ohio State's as far as the eye can see and then some. Iowa would beat OSU in a fluke maybe once every 15 games played. And as far as next year, winning the west is a low-chance proposition (about a twice a decade deal at best) and then you still have to take out OSU. The last 2 times we won the division were the softest two years since we started with divisions back in 2011.

This roster may be intriguing you on paper, but holy cow, man..."title run?"
Look, I am not betting the mortgage on winning the conference title, but how is Iowa not going to be favored to win the West next year? You have three teams breaking in new head coaches and systems. Minny and NW are no great shakes. Illinois lost some talent, but should be good. Iowa should either be the clear favorite or in everyone's Top 2 to win a very sad West division before it dies a merciful death.

As for the East, while OSU remains the standard for the conference, recall Michigan has won the conference the last two seasons. PSU should be salty as well. They have some intriguing talent coming back. I agree that whoever wins the East will be favored by a lot, but Iowa has beat all three of those teams in the last decade. Imagine if it is IOWA v. Michigan??? Some storylines there.

All I said was that KF could gear up for a title run. I did not predict a title. Given the studs returning on defense, a high quality QB, the whole OL plus one returning, a stud RB, some great prospects at TE, all American punter, very good kicker and we don't play Mich or OSU as crossovers, this is about as favorable a preseason outlook as KF is going to get (meaning we probably will go 6-6 :) ).

After divisions go away, Iowa will have close to no chance at winning the conference. This is likely KF's last shot. Just winning the West again would be cool.

As to BF. My biggest fear is that he is an easy target for recruiters from other schools, as is Iowa’s offense as a whole. O Line U could not even bring in some transfers, even though we reported offering several. Got 1. We were a national joke last season. We were teased in Fall camp with suggestions of serious improvements. But things got worse. These factors alone strongly suggest that BF needs to go.

As to BF. My biggest fear is that he is an easy target for recruiters from other schools, as is Iowa’s offense as a whole. O Line U could not even bring in some transfers, even though we reported offering several. Got 1. We were a national joke last season. We were teased in Fall camp with suggestions of serious improvements. But things got worse. These factors alone strongly suggest that BF needs to go.
And that's aside from the fallout of the impending court case.

This is what people need to realize could set the team back a couple years. I like how some just think getting a new OC will be all and rosy and the team will all of a sudden turn the corner and break the top 40 in offense. People need to realize it takes time. As you point out, they may have the ingredients to have more success on offense now with the players that are now joining.

People need to remember how it didn't really work out trying to marry Greg Davis's offense to Kirk Ferentz's philosophy. It didn't really work too well and prob set the offense back a couple seasons which, they may not have even recovered from that at this point.
Yeah sometimes you gotta take one step back to start going forward. BF had 5 yrs... You can't have an OC job for that long with his resume. I think it's just that simple. In our case our step back can't be very damn far so what's their to be scared of in that regard?

By BF saying that he did the best he could basically he's blaming the players that he himself recruited/coached/developed and put out there. End of the day that's on him. Not Phil Parker. Not Lavar Woods. Not anyone else but him. The O and now the QB position especially are his babies. He didn't raise em right and we had what we had the last few yrs.

Greg Davis and his horizontal ass passing game wasn't going to work here. We didn't have the athletes for it on the outside. He was even worse then BF at calling plays straight up designed to go 3 yards on 3rd and 7. He didn't even give us a chance a lot of times. That said due to better Olines, running games, QBs etc even he was able to have better offenses then we've had recently. Davis shouldn't have been long in the tooth for his gig and he was better then BF....

Latest posts