Brian Ferentz: "I Did The Best I Could..."

If BF is still OC next year it tells me that KF doesn’t plan to coach past 70 and is going to ride out his final years with his son. Sadly for KF it could become the biggest mistake of his career or he has the last laugh!

That's not exactly the best sales pitch to keep your job. Brian is basically begging his boss to fire him.

It’s honest, “ results speak for themselves“ he says. Well the next question is would he fire a coach that worked for him with the same results? There was no COVID, no excessive injuries, no justifiable reason for this offense to be so bad. He should have been out after the Nevada game.

So he said he did the best he could with what he had.

1. Sounds like he's calling out the players. That's bush league.
2. Aren't you and your brother-in-law two of the coaches that recruit said players?

Iowa, with his dad as head coach, is the only power 5 school he could get hired as the OC. His qualifications for this role are not there or even close to it.

Don't stories have quotes like, "He's done a great job here, but we will evaluate him and all coaches at the end of this year just like we do every year." Didn't hear anything remotely like this in any of the interviews I read/watched in various places today.

079cee4e-e7c8-4054-a848-09cdc832a5a9_text.gif

Bill O'Brien is expected to be the next OC at new england. That is the first tumbler. then we hope he'll name Brian to his staff.

By the way Brian did do the best he could with the pieces he had. But who's job is it to manage the roster?

This leads me to ask the question did Kirk put the good of his son's career ahead of the program well being? Well at Iowa, Kirk is not accountable to anyone and 8 wins is enough

Bill O'Brien is expected to be the next OC at new england. That is the first tumbler. then we hope he'll name Brian to his staff.

By the way Brian did do the best he could with the pieces he had. But who's job is it to manage the roster?

This leads me to ask the question did Kirk put the good of his son's career ahead of the program well being? Well at Iowa, Kirk is not accountable to anyone and 8 wins is enough

Charlie Jones is all the proof you need he in fact did not do the best he could. We have talent.

I think this was just a very candid and true statement.

Brian did the best that Brian could do with the talent Brian had to work with.

Could another OC gotten more out of the talent there? Maybe, but as has been discussed many times, you still have to run the offense within the confines of KF's system. KF pines after tall, skinny QBs with big arms and little mobility. He demands a run first approach whether we have the OL for that or not. His system repels playmakers except at TE and sometimes RB. Last year was the result of a lot of misses on the OL and QB. Does Brian have a part in those misses? Of course, but to me we scapegoat BF and give KF a pass because that let's us love the legend while dismissing his flaws.

The statement by Brian was just incomplete: "I did the best I could do with the players my Dad, I, and the assistants brought in, and given the system my Dad requires me to run."

I don't think it's ever been about whether or not the effort is there or that he "isn't doing his best" the problem I, along with most, have is the fact that his best simply isn't good enough. His best not being good enough and dad being head coach and the only reason he's still employed is a combination that's going to piss a lot of people off.

Could another OC gotten more out of the talent there? Maybe, but as has been discussed many times, you still have to run the offense within the confines of KF's system. KF pines after tall, skinny QBs with big arms and little mobility. He demands a run first approach whether we have the OL for that or not. His system repels playmakers except at TE and sometimes RB. Last year was the result of a lot of misses on the OL and QB. Does Brian have a part in those misses? Of course, but to me we scapegoat BF and give KF a pass because that let's us love the legend while dismissing his flaws.

The statement by Brian was just incomplete: "I did the best I could do with the players my Dad, I, and the assistants brought in, and given the system my Dad requires me to run."
I don't accept him being the scapegoat for dad. Not saying KF's system isn't to blame, but his tenure at OC is by far the worst during the KF era. Sure it's a system and KF needs to be held accountable. But BF accepted the promotion to OC and has failed miserably there. KF's offensive system is bad there's no denying it, but the BF experiment has been subpar when compared to those OC's put in the same situation before him.

I think it would also be fair to say that we scapegoat KF and give BF a free pass because he's failed at his job and dad refuses to let him go and want to believe that KF's system is the reason BF is failing and that he could truly be a capable OC. The problem I have is BF has absolutely no body of work indicating that he's qualified to be OC, yet we defend him and point the finger at dad's system.

My two cents is there is no scapegoat. KF's system needs tweaked and is the glaring weakness of a storied and accomplished career that will always have us asking "what if" and boy wonder is not a D1 OC.

Brian Ferentz needs to face the reality that he has failed as an OC and isn't attractive to recruits. He has dug his own career grave. The best path for all involved is for him is to resign. The fact he hasn't done so by now isn't good.

I don't think it's ever been about whether or not the effort is there or that he "isn't doing his best" the problem I, along with most, have is the fact that his best simply isn't good enough. His best not being good enough and dad being head coach and the only reason he's still employed is a combination that's going to piss a lot of people off.

And it's been proven by the number of years Iowa has been in the lowest part of the rankings. It's not a one year anomaly.

You said it. Very clear to me. Cap's ship and orders are followed. Us Hawk fans gotta accept it or?? Go Hawks.....

Latest posts