Petras and Bowl Game

HawkPhin

Even if he’s healthy, is there any reason SP should start or play? We need to start evaluating or future at QB and I think it would not be in the best interest if SP took away valuable reps from someone like Labas. Bowl games have become in a sense an early spring practice game. The coaching staff might as well give Labas all the reps and playing time and see if there is anything there to build upon.

Even if he’s healthy, is there any reason SP should start or play? We need to start evaluating or future at QB and I think it would not be in the best interest if SP took away valuable reps from someone like Labas. Bowl games have become in a sense an early spring practice game. The coaching staff might as well give Labas all the reps and playing time and see if there is anything there to build upon.
I would think we'd be getting an answer to that one way or the other soon. I suppose those extra 15 practices don't start till after this week and bowl matchups are announced. I'm not sure if they've been doing anything since last game or not.

It's logical to say hey let's see what we have and look ahead. Yet ole KF is also more apt to 'reward' a senior like Petras too. My guess is if Petras is healthy he'll start the bowl game. Although I'd rather we see Labas and or May instead too.

KF will be loyal to the team members, especially the seniors. He will play the best QB available.

We seem to say this a lot and KF always goes with the guy who played all year and the backups stay buried on the bench

I would think we'd be getting an answer to that one way or the other soon. I suppose those extra 15 practices don't start till after this week and bowl matchups are announced. I'm not sure if they've been doing anything since last game or not.

It's logical to say hey let's see what we have and look ahead. Yet ole KF is also more apt to 'reward' a senior like Petras too. My guess is if Petras is healthy he'll start the bowl game. Although I'd rather we see Labas and or May instead too.
Don't really matter who starts the bowl game, 99.9999374% chance neither of those guys starts next year. They're gonna pick someone up from the portal. How good that someone is has yet to be determined.

They're going hard after McNamara (2 years of eligibility left) which is an obvious sign that they have no intention of Labas or May being the next dude.

Don't really matter who starts the bowl game, 99.9999374% chance neither of those guys starts next year. They're gonna pick someone up from the portal. How good that someone is has yet to be determined.

They're going hard after McNamara (2 years of eligibility left) which is an obvious sign that they have no intention of Labas or May being the next dude.
It would be so Iowa to pick up a better player in the portal then have him ride the bench for a full season.

If they are targeting him, that also tells me they have no intention of changing any bit of their offensive philosophy prior to next year. And that makes me sad.

At least for next yr yeah. I mean May is young enough he could still develop he has 4 more yrs. Labas seems like it's either now or leave for him too. Or be happy being a backup for whomever Iowa brings in. Everyone seems to think it's a forgone conclusion that Mcnamara is coming. I haven't heard anything other then Iowa fans wanting it to happen so far.

The guy is a Nevada born and bred kid. I mean he's going to have big time options some closer to home. I'd be glad to land him but I'll believe it when I see it. Same way with Proctor and any other kid damn near.

At least for next yr yeah. I mean May is young enough he could still develop he has 4 more yrs. Labas seems like it's either now or leave for him too. Or be happy being a backup for whomever Iowa brings in. Everyone seems to think it's a forgone conclusion that Mcnamara is coming. I haven't heard anything other then Iowa fans wanting it to happen so far.

The guy is a Nevada born and bred kid. I mean he's going to have big time options some closer to home. I'd be glad to land him but I'll believe it when I see it. Same way with Proctor and any other kid damn near.
Yeah I wouldn't put my money on McNamara coming here whatsoever, I was kinda looking at it from the angle that if they're looking hard for a guy in the portal we ain't gonna see either of the two existing guys next year. It also means they probably aren't up to the task anyway/.

KF will be loyal to the team members, especially the seniors. He will play the best QB available.

This is the correct answer. Kirk still has an old school approach to bowl games. He isn't thinking about it as an exhibition game. He sees winning the game having value...being an accomplishment.

It would be so Iowa to pick up a better player in the portal then have him ride the bench for a full season.
That Iowa Offense is so hard to learn after all. We would not want Cade or someone else to have a nose bleed putting them into the starting role to early. I mean, Brad Banks did not even know where the first down marker was in his first year.........Kirk had to save Brad from himself....even if that meant watching McCann get drilled time and time again.

Loads of sarcasm here.

I suspect though, Labas probably is quite behind Petras....Padilla looked worse than Petras to this year (the times he was in for him) other than maybe doing a better job of avoiding a sack. So, I don't expect miracle if Labas gets the nod.

Last edited:
That Iowa Offense is so hard to learn after all. We would not want Cade or someone else to have a nose bleed putting them into the starting role to early. I mean, Brad Banks did not even know where the first down marker was in his first year.........Kirk had to save Brad from himself....even if that meant watching McCann get drilled time and time again.

Loads of sarcasm here.

I suspect though, Labas probably is quite behind Petras....Padilla looked worse than Petras to this year (the times he was in for him) other than maybe doing a better job of avoiding a sack. So, I don't expect miracle if Labas gets the nod.
I expect Labas to be Jonny Manziel in College. Are my expectations out of line?

It's the same OL so is anyone looking for the offense to win the game? I didn't think so, so it's prep for next years offense, give the young dudes playing time and maybe some of them stay. We watch for the Defense this year. They deserve a bowl although a much better one. Labas, Padilla, May, tomato, tamoto....

I expect Labas to be Jonny Manziel in College. Are my expectations out of line?
That is the flip side.....he could come out and look like Johnny Football and will further piss off the fan base if he was that good and played behind two bums.

That would also be so Kirk Ferentz.

Petras starts next year and if he somehow had ( not surprising with the unbelievably stupid ncaa), a seventh, kirk would start him again

Petras starts next year and if he somehow had ( not surprising with the unbelievably stupid ncaa), a seventh, kirk would start him again
I wouldn’t be surprised if Petras comes back. But he would be for QB depth and backup in case Cade isn’t 100% by next season. If Cade is healthy he is going to be the starting QB.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Petras comes back. But he would be for QB depth and backup in case Cade isn’t 100% by next season. If Cade is healthy he is going to be the starting QB.
Could you imagine the boos if Petras came back and started over Cade?