Post Your UNpopular Hawkeye Hot Take

My hot take...

I don't care if the Hawkeyes ever win a national title. I don't and will never judge their success on how close they come to that.

I think the national title is somewhat of a farce (although not inaccurate) but is not completely decided by competition. To arrive at a true national title, we'll have to do things (as we have been slowly doing) which take away from the beauty of college football.

Also, I think we should bring back knickerbockers and varsity sweaters. And Gary Dolphin should adopt one of those old timey "March of Time" news reel accents.

I got more detail. It wasn't that the University didn't kick in or anything that was the cause.
It was just a pile of things. I think they've lost the loading/unloading zone (or partially lost) in Coralville. Or maybe one of the big lots is gone? Something like that. Some of the businesses out there also had troubles with people parking. And, it cost money. Etc. etc.

There was some talk, and still some talk about other things that could lead to options. But it just doesn't appear to be financially feasible. The descendant of the steam group up there that ran the IAIS steam locomotive now has two engines over in the Quad Cities, including the donation of the Challenger (almost as big as the Big Boys) class from Union Pacific. There was some chance of some additional maintenance/storage of yet another locomotive in Iowa City proper. Which could have fit the bill and whatnot.

But there's just too many small hurdles, plus the money. Pretty insurmountable in the end as it becomes a distraction. Fixing all the hurdles is doable. But solving one causes another. And then there's more to solve. And the time/energy of all it...plus the money. Just not worth it for anyone involved.
The Hawkeye Express was a great deal for people who can't afford to pay $50+ for parking and who just want to go to a game on a budget and have fun. It's what my kid and I did for years before they got rid of it. It was actually our fun little ritual. We'd park at the mall, walk down to the Black and Gold Shop, and my kid loved to walk around and spend some money if he had it on a hat or shirt or something dumb. One time he bought a framed autographed Greenway Vikings card on a wooden plaque. Dumbest thing ever but he thought it was cool so whatevs. He had this habit where he'd pick something out that was a little bit more money than what he had, and he knew dad would help him out with the rest.

Then we'd walk down to IHOP and eat, and wait for the train to pull up. Hop on the train, listen to Dolph's pregame, and get pumped up for the game. I'll never forget his first one, every single thing he saw was larger than life and brand new. Seeing Kinnick for the first time knocked him off his feet...I wish I could get those butterflies back in my 40s that I had as a little kid. That train was a special fuckin deal for a lot of people and it let a lot of folks save some money that they didn't have to spend when they were already shelling out bucks for tickets and $10 popcorn.

Hawks colors are black and Old Gold with white as an accent color. Nowhere is grey part of that.

Yea, but I just remember my reaction when seeing them that night. I was pleasantly surprised and shocked Iowa pulled that out and off that game. I was not alone. They were classy and downright intimidating looking.

Oddly, I don't like beer being sold at Kinnick.
Not because I think it causes problems or anything.
I was all for it when they didn't have it.

But, now, it just looks and feels just a little more like an MLB/NFL/NHL/pro anything game when you first walk into the stadium.

These uniforms were awesome. I think they're my favorite.
I’ll always champion that Iowa never changes their uniforms or logo. Not even a little.

But I’m ok with an alternate once a year and those blackouts should be it. We always do the military game, make that the blackout uni every year for that game with the Stars and Stripes Tigerhawk.

Boom

I’ll always champion that Iowa never changes their uniforms or logo. Not even a little.

But I’m ok with an alternate once a year and those blackouts should be it. We always do the military game, make that the blackout uni every year for that game with the Stars and Stripes Tigerhawk.

Boom
Even though I love those uniforms, Iowa has something going for it with the same uni for over 40 years. Truly an iconic logo.

I got more detail. It wasn't that the University didn't kick in or anything that was the cause.
It was just a pile of things. I think they've lost the loading/unloading zone (or partially lost) in Coralville. Or maybe one of the big lots is gone? Something like that. Some of the businesses out there also had troubles with people parking. And, it cost money. Etc. etc.

There was some talk, and still some talk about other things that could lead to options. But it just doesn't appear to be financially feasible. The descendant of the steam group up there that ran the IAIS steam locomotive now has two engines over in the Quad Cities, including the donation of the Challenger (almost as big as the Big Boys) class from Union Pacific. There was some chance of some additional maintenance/storage of yet another locomotive in Iowa City proper. Which could have fit the bill and whatnot.

But there's just too many small hurdles, plus the money. Pretty insurmountable in the end as it becomes a distraction. Fixing all the hurdles is doable. But solving one causes another. And then there's more to solve. And the time/energy of all it...plus the money. Just not worth it for anyone involved.
Run the train from Cedar Rapids, booze allowed.

Why do I have to stand for the Alma Mater (I think that's what they call it)? There must be something about it I don't get.