Is It Time To Start Talking About Drew Stevens?

Fryowa

Administrator
15-17, made 2 over 50 yds, and the 2 he missed were mid 40s.

Iowa's only had one other full 4 year starter (I know he didn't play the first two games, but still), and that was you-know-who.

I think this kid is going to be a stud. He looks like he's 12, but so did Nate.

1669063800851.png

Last edited:
15-17, made 2 over 50 yds, and the 2 he missed were mid 40s.

Iowa's only had one other full 4 year starter (I know he didn't play the first two games, but still), and that was you-know-who.

I think this kid is going to be a stud. He looks like he's 12, but so did Nate.

View attachment 9527
Really done a great job during this streak. We do seem to find (or develop) good kickers

The best story of the Hawkeye season, really. Starts the season as a backup...ends the season with the best FG % in Iowa history? I'm guessing here, but doubt many, if any, Iowa kickers have kicked over 15 FGs at an 88% or better clip. And not all chip shots either, like at some schools. What does Iowa's record look like this year if he misses 3 or 4 additional kicks? Don't want to think about it...and DEFINITELY not taking him for granted!

What's nuts is we don't play in the south in warm cushy weather all fall long or in domes. Those kickers down there don't even know how good they have it. We've been spoiled rotten with good kickers for quite awhile now

What's nuts is we don't play in the south in warm cushy weather all fall long or in domes. Those kickers down there don't even know how good they have it. We've been spoiled rotten with good kickers for quite awhile now

If I was an NFL team I would want a kicker who played in the Big Ten. There's no better prep for playing at places like Buffalo, Chicago, Cleveland or Green Bay in December and January than honing your skills in the majestic stadia of the Big Ten.

Anyone know his leg strength. He oft drives the ball on kickoffs,into the EZ and not a lot of air.

NFL kickers need to get a FG up from 55 or more. Some ncaa kickers who kick field goals at that distance line drive it which you can't get away with in NFL. Aside from blocking it. Your accuracy plummets on a drive.

The best story of the Hawkeye season, really. Starts the season as a backup...ends the season with the best FG % in Iowa history? I'm guessing here, but doubt many, if any, Iowa kickers have kicked over 15 FGs at an 88% or better clip. And not all chip shots either, like at some schools. What does Iowa's record look like this year if he misses 3 or 4 additional kicks? Don't want to think about it...and DEFINITELY not taking him for granted!

I actually think it was a pretty even and open competition at the beginning. I wouldn't say he was the back-up, but I get what you are sayin.

If I was an NFL team I would want a kicker who played in the Big Ten. There's no better prep for playing at places like Buffalo, Chicago, Cleveland or Green Bay in December and January than honing your skills in the majestic stadia of the Big Ten.
Good take.

I actually think it was a pretty even and open competition at the beginning. I wouldn't say he was the back-up, but I get what you are sayin.
It was an open competition until the season started. At that point Stevens was given kickoff duties; the other kicker was the only guy allowed to attempt a FG the first two games, and if I remember he went 2 of 4. If the first FG kicker had been successful, it's doubtful Stevens would have ever had a chance to even kick a FG this year. He was given a chance in game 3, I believe, and was successful from the get go.

Anyone know his leg strength. He oft drives the ball on kickoffs,into the EZ and not a lot of air.

NFL kickers need to get a FG up from 55 or more. Some ncaa kickers who kick field goals at that distance line drive it which you can't get away with in NFL. Aside from blocking it. Your accuracy plummets on a drive.
Not sure of his leg strength either. But he does get kickoffs into the end zone pretty consistently. I think an offseason in the weight room will help him a lot. Super young looking kid, he is only going to get stronger. I could see him being reliable on FGs up to 55 yards, maybe a little more.