Leistikow Says Petras Will Start Saturday

In fairness to Alex, on that INT, a defensive lineman came completely unblocked. Not even touched. The fact that he got the pass off and still hit the receiver in the hands is pretty impressive. No way Spencer would have got that pass off. This offensive line under Barnett is a complete mess.

Reactions: haw
Maybe not on HN, but hell yes, these people exist. They only blame the QB. Sources of evidence include comment sections on facebook , etc. (seriously, I'm afraid to say), as well as listening to boneheads at kinnick.

Most of us know the coaching has been bad, the schemes suck, and that the o line is terrible in addition to QB play. Some don't get that. They think only the QB matters. Really. I know, it's hard to believe.

I got into a discussion with a guy at Kinnick where I basically said it's much more than just the QB and he told me I was full of it.

Honestly, Iowa fans are pretty notorious for just wanting the second string quarterback to save the day. Kinda like Vikings fans. Some of those folks wanted Stanley gone, too. These people exist.

Joey Labas is the next heisman and all that.
If the definition of savior is being good enough to win the West, Padilla could have for sure been our savior. If the definition is he could be good enough to make our offense even be average, then it's highly unlikely he's our savior. I for one would have liked another West crown. For whatever that would have been worth thos year.

Both Petras and Padilla are very much D-1 quarterbacks.

They might not be P5 quarterbacks, but they could easily thrive in the Group of 5 conferences.
They would probably thrive in P5, just not Iowa. Rudock proved to me that crappy Iowa QBs aren't as crappy as they seem to be. With just a slight amount of coaching and fundamentals, they would probably be alright.

I've seen this a few times here and although this is very bad, Petras had 2 turnovers in his first 7 plays as a 3rd year starter with 2 weeks to prepare. I think we can assume Padilla had minimal to no 1st team reps over the two weeks, so I'll excuse him a little for having a rough start at the Shoe. Hard to tell if the botched snap was all his fault, but not unexplainable with a new QB and unfamiliar center. 2nd turnover hit Laporta's hand, although too far out in front, and was tipped into an INT. not great, but his half was hardly as bad a Petras. Especially considering who had the most experience and practice reps.

Padilla showed that his mobility is an asset as he escaped at least 3 sacks that Petras would have easily taken. Against a lesser team, he may have been able to pick up some yards or complete a pass with his sack escapes. I'll take that over what we're getting from Petras all day.

I also wouldnt be against trying Labas or May since the season is essentially over.
I cant believe people think its a fair comparison. One kid has started for three years. The other has played a couple of games, and then gets thrown in to the wolves at OSU.
Petras would have shit his pants if that was his first game action this year.

Given the play of the O line, Padilla gives us a possibility of yards with his feet against NW. I have given up on Petras. That pass that was picked off for 6 by Ohio St. was mind boggling. I'm still trying to figure out who the intended Hawkeye that was going to.

Given the play of the O line, Padilla gives us a possibility of yards with his feet against NW. I have given up on Petras. That pass that was picked off for 6 by Ohio St. was mind boggling. I'm still trying to figure out who the intended Hawkeye that was going to.

When he threw that pick there was a thought that entered my mind that Petras had money on the spread. I know that's not true but that's how terrible I thought that throw was. There was nobody in the area and it looked like he was gifting them a touchdown.

When he threw that pick there was a thought that entered my mind that Petras had money on the spread. I know that's not true but that's how terrible I thought that throw was. There was nobody in the area and it looked like he was gifting them a touchdown.

The kid probably just wanted to get pulled out of the game and I can't say I blame him.

Padilla got thrown in the worst possible position you could put him in. Hasn't played in over a year, against what I think is the best team in the country, in a road game of 110,000 people. He did as well as anyone could expect IMO.
.....and maybe with a week of reps in practice and a start against a crappy NW team, confidence could be built up in him.

Both Petras and Padilla are very much D-1 quarterbacks.

They might not be P5 quarterbacks, but they could easily thrive in the Group of 5 conferences.
Maybe that's where they will both transfer to next year, a MAC or MWC school. I think Petras still has a COVID year left.

If the definition of savior is being good enough to win the West, Padilla could have for sure been our savior. If the definition is he could be good enough to make our offense even be average, then it's highly unlikely he's our savior. I for one would have liked another West crown. For whatever that would have been worth thos year.
Don't you think the O line is the biggest limiter? I do.

I disagree, Padilla gives Iowa the best chance to win. This OL is so bad they can't hold their water. Padilla's T/O's are not the kind to be repeated, Petras's are. If Padilla just avoids big negative yards and we allow the D to play Iowa wins out. We just need the O to get out of their way and just play field position.
I don't think we necessarily disagree. We both think Padilla should start over Petras, and we both feel the OL is terrible. The only area we might slightly disagree on is how much the QB matters when the O line is that bad. It's possible Padilla avoids a few sacks and runs for a few first downs, so that might be a difference maker. Maybe. Against a good team I still don't think it matters much. The offense is terrible. Or Turrible, as Hayden would say.

Don't you think the O line is the biggest limiter? I do.
Our oline is terrible. Brady would get killed behind it. That's why we need someone who can scramble. '02 Brad Banks could make this offense look bad, which is a huge upgrade from the worst offense in the history of football. We could win the West easily with a Banks type player. Plug in the best pocket passes in the country and you might not even notice much of a difference because of the oline.

Our oline is terrible. Brady would get killed behind it. That's why we need someone who can scramble. '02 Brad Banks could make this offense look bad, which is a huge upgrade from the worst offense in the history of football. We could win the West easily with a Banks type player. Plug in the best pocket passes in the country and you might not even notice much of a difference because of the oline.
I agree. I think that can help against teams we can beat. Whether Padilla is an excellent scrambler who can then find guys downfield after the scramble is an open question.

Would love to have another Banks type player but it seems we don't seem to recruit mobile quarterbacks?

I mean, I'd love to just ram the ball down teams' throats but times have changed. Using a fullback and a statue for a QB allows the defense to beat you by numbers. overandoverandover