Padilla…”What’s the upside?”

They give up a sack every time they run deep routes
That's because Petras has been taught only to throw to completely open receivers. Would like to see him throw some deep like in the Nevada game even if the guy isn't open completely. Yes he's going to have to trust the receiver to get there but like I said, a pick deep is a lot like a punt. A high overthrow in the flat often turns into a pick six. I mean they go 3 and out like 10 times a game without throwing the ball more than 10 yards, Throwing a couple deep at least slows down the rush.

Last edited:
With the way our offensive line has played, I’m not sure anyone would do much better, but I also don’t see any harm in trying for a series or two. Especially if another qb is more mobile. I got a new phone and somehow got locked out of my account for the past couple of months and watching this shit show without being able to piss and moan with you guys was not easy.

I mentioned the answer on offense before the season started, though I know it was never realistic: Cooper DeJean.

There was no way this offense was ever going to work without capable receivers and a sturdy OL, and it was pretty obvious in camp that both WR and OL were decimated. Without legitimate outside receiving threats, teams would play 8-9 in the box against us (as we saw against Illinois). So if our OL isn't overpowering, we are toast.

The only way to overcome this is to create indecision and confusion with the run game, and the only way to do that is to have MULTIPLE dangerous ballcarriers in the backfield at the same time. Padilla and Labas might be able to scramble a bit, but neither of those guys could beat you with their legs. DeJean could beat you with his legs.

It wouldn't have made the offense elite, or even good, but it would have been more interesting than the garbage we have been watching.

Although the offensive production has been lacking with Brian as coordinator, at least the student athletes have enjoyed their experiences with him and he's certainly served as a fine ambassador for the university.

I don't have a huge problem with his comments. Other than, it was a tough question. Hard not to wind up dumping on either Padilla or Petras, or both, no matter how he answers. So, I forgive him for not answering. Actually, somewhat applaud him for it.

My problem is that the offense looks exactly the same as it did in the first game. This many games in, with this level of performance, there has to be a slightly different look. I need to walk away from a game thinking "well, at least they ran a few more plays where they let Petras roll to his right, he seems pretty good at that" or "well, at least it looks like they tried to run it to the outside a few more times, instead of up the middle every single run play", or "at least they tried to let Petras air it out and trip up the defense". I have to believe those plays are in the playbook. Hell, some of them might even work and hey, we got a spark of life here.

The only thing I've walked away thinking something was different was "at least they tried that one reverse".

Great take. This is correct. KF teams have always been know to get better and deficiences worked out as the year progresses. Is not the case this year.

With the way our offensive line has played, I’m not sure anyone would do much better, but I also don’t see any harm in trying for a series or two. Especially if another qb is more mobile. I got a new phone and somehow got locked out of my account for the past couple of months and watching this shit show without being able to piss and moan with you guys was not easy.

Well, welcome back!

Just to show what company the Hawks offense is in, here are the bottom points per game. I purposely included the worst MAC team (Akron) for comparison. Iowa's offense shares company with some historically bad FBS teams NMSt, UMass, and UConn are a few of the worst college football programs.

I see Northwestern on that list. Boy that game should be fun!

capture.jpg

Just to show what company the Hawks offense is in, here are the bottom points per game. I purposely included the worst MAC team (Akron) for comparison. Iowa's offense shares company with some historically bad FBS teams NMSt, UMass, and UConn are a few of the worst college football programs.

I see Northwestern on that list. Boy that game should be fun!

View attachment 9386

Ugh! That is brutal.

What’s the upside???? Well I know it’s not far to get there. And at least you would be trying to get better via a change. But I’m sure that bf would make sure that every mistake Padilla makes is shown so he can say see, I told you. And Petras might practice better, but he’s also getting the majority of reps so of course he practices better. And also, is he facing the kind of pressure he faces in games or is practice set up for him to have success???? But hey, keep doing what you’re doing Brian. Continue to be the butt of jokes nationally and take your offensive kids with you. And of course that’s going to translate into losses on the field as well as in the transfer portal. But hey, at least you didn’t have to have your pride hurt.

The first time they brought Padilla in to sub for a failing Petras last year the turnaround was immediate. We went from losing to winning. I know what we're gonna get with Petras, upside is down. I don't know what I'd get with Padilla today or Labas. The coaches know what they get in practice, but frankly they don't know what would happen in live action. They are willing to try nothing but the same old which is nearly guaranteed to fail - we have the emperical evidence, and it's solid.. Their team, their choice.

The first time they brought Padilla in to sub for a failing Petras last year the turnaround was immediate. We went from losing to winning. I know what we're gonna get with Petras, upside is down. I don't know what I'd get with Padilla today or Labas. The coaches know what they get in practice, but frankly they don't know what would happen in live action. They are willing to try nothing but the same old which is nearly guaranteed to fail - we have the emperical evidence, and it's solid.. Their team, their choice.

....and to bump off your comments, we have no idea where the heads are at of the players on offense. Do they have confidence in Petras? Sometimes that is a reason for a change, just to infuse a team with something new which they sometimes respond to. It's apparent some of the players family recognize issues with playing time, I'd venture to bet some of the position players on offense do as well at this point.

Sometimes you just have to make the change as a coach to try to jump start the team, regardless how close the competition among players is.

Last edited:
....and to bump off your comments, we have no idea where the heads are at of the players on offense. Do they have confidence in Petras? Sometimes that is a reason for a change, just to infuse a team with something new which they sometimes respond to. It's apparent some of the players family recognize issues with playing time, I'd venture to bet some of the position players on offense do as well at this point.

Sometimes you just have to make the change as a coach to try to jump start the team, regardless how close the competition among players is.
Exactly. Especially when the 3rd year starting QB is not voted as a team captain by his teammates.