Spencer Is Officially Toast

Iowa coaches need to do something to give the defense some hope. As long as Petras us starting, there is no hope that the offense will get better. At least if Labas is starting you are building something for the future. And how could it be any worse? Yes,Labas might throw more pics, but Iowa might score more TD's. Something has got to give. Nothing is working right now.

I'm in the camp that as long as BF is OC there's no hope that the offense will get better. And next year he'll get to use the "new QB" excuse to explain why the offense sucks. It's a revolving door that starts and ends with him.

Just my opinion but any switch should have came at either going into the Illinois game or at halftime. Bye week or not you can't throw a new QB under center vs. OSU without seeing any meaningful snaps. You make that call you better get your third string QB mentally ready to play the following week, because your feeding your new starter to the wolves.

I feel for the kid. He's incredibly limited but he's saying what he's been told to say.

He is done. And gonna be abused in 2 weeks.

Oline is below avg, but few olines can block constant 8+ man boxes and constant run/pass blitzes. We don't test defenses deep, even just to give it a shot, ever. Never back shoulder, never quick deep sideline. You can just crash every time.

Shit, they even had the snap count timed.
Ole Tiger Hawk Tattoo boy can coach a little bit eh. He knows what he's doing and that game plan they had against us was perfect. Laporta got away from them more then they woulda liked I'm sure but the rest of it was flawless. 3 Fg attempts is all they gave up. We didn't even threaten them in the red zone. I think IL has a pretty good D but they aren't last yrs GA team. You have a decent front 4 that can disrupt our Oline and get Petras off his spot you can beat us play in and play out.

He is a very good O Line coach. The problem is that he is assigned to a job that he can’t handle.
Not to be that guy, but is he really that good of an Oline coach? Putting linemen into the NFL and putting a "good" product on the field are two different things. I'm by no means an expert, or even credible in terms of having any knowledge of an oline, but I've yet to think collectively we've had a "good" oline since he's been here. We've had some good linemen come through, but collectively I'm not sure we've been that solid in the trenches since he's been there.

Ole Tiger Hawk Tattoo boy can coach a little bit eh. He knows what he's doing and that game plan they had against us was perfect. Laporta got away from them more then they woulda liked I'm sure but the rest of it was flawless. 3 Fg attempts is all they gave up. We didn't even threaten them in the red zone. I think IL has a pretty good D but they aren't last yrs GA team. You have a decent front 4 that can disrupt our Oline and get Petras off his spot you can beat us play in and play out.
He 'out-Ferentzed' Kirk at his own game.

I'm in the camp that as long as BF is OC there's no hope that the offense will get better. And next year he'll get to use the "new QB" excuse to explain why the offense sucks. It's a revolving door that starts and ends with him.

Just my opinion but any switch should have came at either going into the Illinois game or at halftime. Bye week or not you can't throw a new QB under center vs. OSU without seeing any meaningful snaps. You make that call you better get your third string QB mentally ready to play the following week, because your feeding your new starter to the wolves.
If Brian / Kirk does not go with Labas and/or Padilla for the remainder of what is now a lost season, they forfeit any right to use 'lack of QB experience' as an excuse for next year's offensive malaise.

If Brian / Kirk does not go with Labas and/or Padilla for the remainder of what is now a lost season, they forfeit any right to use 'lack of QB experience' as an excuse for next year's offensive malaise.
I agree with that 100% but we both know that isn't the case and there will always be an excuse to avoid the fact that BF is in way over his head.

Nothing has to pizz those two off more than Iowa keep trotting out Petras without giving them a chance. Now, I realize Iowa has major offensive line issues and it's not all on Petras, but you have to realize the team needs to try something to spark and ya might as well try it.

Why would any QB recruit go to a school whose QB coach was an offensive lineman?????
I played QB back in the day and no way I'd feel I had any credibility as an OLine coach; completely idiotic.
One thing teaching X's and O's; completely another to have been under the gun playing the position.
I'm sure Brian has some great tips on throwing techniques.
F*CK!!!!!!!!
Just up the road in Cedar Falls is a dude named Drew Tate that's coaching QBs at UNI... I know he's green behind the gills still at it. Before this he was at UT Martin just up the road from me. He did a great job there from the sounds of it hence his offer to go to UNI.

He would have jumped at the chance to coach QBs at Iowa for all the obvious reasons. And who better could their be? But it doesn't sound like they even considered bringing him on in any capacity. If I'm a QB recruit and Drew Tate sits down to talk ball with me he's got INSTANT credibility. What's Brian have? He was an ok center that's done well at coaching Oline and due to nepotism has been fast tracked to climb the coaching ladder.

Its odd to me that there are two quarterbacks, on scholarship who are not good enough to play. Not good enough to play on the worst offense in America.

Prehaps the talent identifcation during recruiting is lacking

maybe the player development is lacking

maybe they're wasting scholarships.

Its odd to me that there are two quarterbacks, on scholarship who are not good enough to play. Not good enough to play on the worst offense in America.

Just throwing this out there but perhaps the absence of Doyle is starting to be felt more....

In addition to everything else, Tory Taylor of all people let the team down with a rare off night. His 40.3 on eight punts was well below his average and, in a crucial situation late with Taylor trying to get us off our goal line, his 39 yarder couldn't keep Illinois out of plus territory. It went a long way toward their game winning fg.

All they gained as far as points are concerned was 3 Field Goals

Nothing to brag about

They were fortunate to win the game

In addition to everything else, Tory Taylor of all people let the team down with a rare off night. His 40.3 on eight punts was well below his average and, in a crucial situation late with Taylor trying to get us off our goal line, his 39 yarder couldn't keep Illinois out of plus territory. It went a long way toward their game winning fg.
The wind was actually worse than it seemed. He oft punts the ball with the ball exposed to wind (angle). He did a number of punts right in front of me. He was a bit bothered by the pressure.

What he didn't do really well on hang time was the short drop punt, like he didn't practice it. He stayed well away from the back line and didn't give himself much room. The winds swirl a lot there.

The returners struggled all night due to the winds.

Kirk doesnt want QB's. He wants potential game managers.
Big difference.

When folks on this board questioned why we did not go to portal for help at QB, there were some on this board that were against such radical moves. They were concerned these QB's (who are not good enough to play) might leave.

The problem with the still picture they showed during the game it that it showed his elbow on the ground and what looked like possession of the ball, BUT the slow motion showed the ball moving while it was in his possession as his elbow was about to touch the ground. By rule there has to be indisputable evidence to over throw the call on the field. It was one of those bang bang calls that I’d they had called it a fumble you could argue the ball was slightly shifting in his arms just before his lost the ball.

I can see it being called either way, but the rule is indisputable evidence to overturn.
Indisputable Evidence has been out for a while now. Officials use reviews to completely break down a play and some to find the outcome they want. It would be nice if they went back to really indisputable evidence to prove or disprove and only overturn based on that. I know, wishful thinking.