Petras

He wasn't terrible. But he wasn't exactly good by any measure either. He just didn't make any mistakes that coulda really hurt (besides missing Bruce in he redzone and forcing it to a covered Laporta in the endzone that comes to mind)

Literally any D1 qb with a pulse should be able to do what he did or better. Complimenting a 5th yr senior for his play after that game seems like pandering to an ultra low bar of expectations.

Yea, I admit it wasn't perfect. All I said was that he managed the game pretty well. I did see on that double TE route that he went to Laporta when he could have went with an open Lachey yards down the field. Maybe it was a comfort thing. He also missed passing to a couple open receivers I saw on TV but.............he didn't make mistakes that gave up the 14 pts the defense got the team.

I admit he was just a solid college QB Saturday. I'm not expecting him to be the top bar as far as college QB's go. Would I like that.....yes, but I think those would be unfair expectations where they are as a team on offense now.

Last edited:
This defensive line is just nasty and fun to watch. The entire defense is fun to watch.

I like this post as it is positive and truthful. The big question will be will we feel the same after the Michigan game. If we get the crap kicked out of us then all the previous success will be attributed to playing weak ass football teams. Even if we lose to Michigan, but our defense proves it’s for real and hold Michigan to a low score output, then it backs up how good our defense is.

The offense will really be proven in this game. I don’t anticipate a win, but would be ecstatic to get one. You never know as we usually give Michigan all they want at home.

I am not a betting man but if someone were to hold a gun to my head and say I will pull the trigger if you don’t pick the winner of this game, then I am going with Michigan but quietly hoping it’s quick and painless.

I think you are selling him a bit short. There were a few tight-window passes to Lachey, the great deep ball to LaPorta, and even a great 3rd and long pass to LaPorta that was dropped. Those were winning plays, not just avoiding mistakes.

No one is anointing him, but I think we all saw some positives out there. If the OL can continue to progress (run game looked good against a salty D), and we can get some WR healthy, this can be an offense that actually contributes to winning.

Exactly. That's all I'm saying. Thanks.

I thought he looked like a baby deer that had just been shot whenever he tried to move around, but I do agree, he did a better job passing the ball.

I almost wish they would call some design runs periodically, just to keep the D a bit more honest with that threat. He can run a bit when he has to. He has shown that. Also, if they are designed and he knows where he would have to go, maybe he'd be a bit more effective. He doesn't do as well ad hoc or if the pocket or play breaks down. A designed run may be better and take the options out of the equation. Maybe just 4-5 or so design runs a game that are safe to rip off 5-8 yrds and maybe out-of-bounds to avoid hits.

Spencer throws the deep ball better than short and intermediate type throws. Iowa just showing they could throw the ball down the field gave Rutgers just enough tape that they had to respect it. They were not giving up anything long and were trying to stop the run. Iowa was able to run and exploit them with our great tight ends. I give the staff credit for identifying what needed to be done to win the game. I felt Iowa could very well lose because I don't always give our staff credit of comin up with good game plans. This week was not one of those times. It was a lot like Maryland last season and I am happy to be wrong.

.......and if they are loading up, blitzing and trying to stop the run and the deep ball. What does that leave open, the TE's on short to middle routes. Also, with Rutgers blitzing so much, I think that played into the lack of WR targets this game.

So we can't point out positives and must only revel in how poor his play is. Check.
I think you are selling him a bit short. There were a few tight-window passes to Lachey, the great deep ball to LaPorta, and even a great 3rd and long pass to LaPorta that was dropped. Those were winning plays, not just avoiding mistakes.

No one is anointing him, but I think we all saw some positives out there. If the OL can continue to progress (run game looked good against a salty D), and we can get some WR healthy, this can be an offense that actually contributes to winning.
11/17 is probably the best % he's ever had so sure give him that. But yeah besides the service acadamys who's throwing less times a game? 148 yards 0 Tds 0 INTs isn't exactly a stellar thing to be jumping up and down about. I mean we supposedly strive for balance on O but we fall short of that every single weak. This wasn't a terrible game by him. But I'm just not in the mood to give participation ribbons out.

The deep ball to Laporta was a tad under thrown. Had he hit him with it he coulda ran with it some too. I'm not bashing him for that at least he completed it. That was huge and was best play of the game besides what all the D did

I like this post as it is positive and truthful. The big question will be will we feel the same after the Michigan game. If we get the crap kicked out of us then all the previous success will be attributed to playing weak ass football teams. Even if we lose to Michigan, but our defense proves it’s for real and hold Michigan to a low score output, then it backs up how good our defense is.

The offense will really be proven in this game. I don’t anticipate a win, but would be ecstatic to get one. You never know as we usually give Michigan all they want at home.

I am not a betting man but if someone were to hold a gun to my head and say I will pull the trigger if you don’t pick the winner of this game, then I am going with Michigan but quietly hoping it’s quick and painless.

I think this is the question and the true bar to kind of get a hint of what this team is going to do the rest of the year. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

I just luv when Iowa's D is on the field. Also, having a freak punter on the team is exciting. It's fun just watching those areas of the team and seeing how other teams deal with it.

With this defense, Iowa has a chance in every game. Football is a weird game at times. Not sure Michigan has really played anybody yet so some teams success can still be masked a bit this early in the season.

Last edited:
Yea, I admit it wasn't perfect. All I said was that he managed the game pretty well. I did see on that double TE route that he went to Laporta when he could have went with an open Lachey yards down the field. Maybe it was a comfort thing. He also missed passing to a couple open receivers I saw on TV but.............he didn't make mistakes that gave up the 14 pts the defense got the team.

I admit he was just a solid college QB Saturday. I'm not expecting him to be the top bar as far as college QB's go. Would I like that.....yes, but I think those would be unfair expectations where they are as a team on offense now.
His QB rating was 137. That is an objectively good grade. Remember, Brian F is calling the plays, not Petras

11/17 is probably the best % he's ever had so sure give him that. But yeah besides the service acadamys who's throwing less times a game? 148 yards 0 Tds 0 INTs isn't exactly a stellar thing to be jumping up and down about. I mean we supposedly strive for balance on O but we fall short of that every single weak. This wasn't a terrible game by him. But I'm just not in the mood to give participation ribbons out.

The deep ball to Laporta was a tad under thrown. Had he hit him with it he coulda ran with it some too. I'm not bashing him for that at least he completed it. That was huge and was best play of the game besides what all the D did

Wow, only 17 attempts. Seems like that should be more.

.......and if they are loading up, blitzing and trying to stop the run and the deep ball. What does that leave open, the TE's on short to middle routes. Also, with Rutgers blitzing so much, I think that played into the lack of WR targets this game.
They did what I expect most teams to do. Bring safeties into the box and play the game within 10-12 yards of the LOS. I was surprised at how well we ran the ball against Rutgers I thought their D was stout going into the game so feather in our caps for that. But against the Michigans and others who'll do similar things that's how it'll be. You can still throw quick balls up to your WRs just gotta do it. They are daring us to do those plays. And against Nevada they actually attempted like 6 or 7 of em. But we got away from it against Rutgers. Not sure why

He did very well, compared to. Just need some lengthy receivers and good protection, and Iowa could actually make some noise.

What do you call a med student who completes his/her/xir med school with a C average? Doctor. If we get C level play and dude doesn't turn the ball over this team is finishing 10-4 at worst.
10-4 only if we can run the ball. #2 needs 20 carries a game.

hat we have in 2022, so go defense
I almost wish they would call some design runs periodically, just to keep the D a bit more honest with that threat. He can run a bit when he has to. He has shown that. Also, if they are designed and he knows where he would have to go, maybe he'd be a bit more effective. He doesn't do as well ad hoc or if the pocket or play breaks down. A designed run may be better and take the options out of the equation. Maybe just 4-5 or so design runs a game that are safe to rip off 5-8 yrds and maybe out-of-bounds to avoid hits.
What you just described is in part why the line looks so bad. He is no real threat to hurt other teams...very much.

This is how Iowa wants to win games and they purposely play to their strengths because they have good coaching. Holding the opponents head while they punch and punch and them not being able to do a whole lot about it.

Eev2FEjXgAE1TA_.jpg
That works against little guys. Big boys coming up.

Latest posts