Stability...

Da ya goober. The complacency is referring to the Iowa administration or fans. The leash Iowa gives.
Gotcha. I guess I read "Is it security or complacency" as the coaches feeling secure in their jobs and complacent meaning that they don't want to make changes because what they are doing is good enough to keep their jobs and getting raises/extensions.

Never happened. Nick beat Iowa 49-3 in Kurt's inaugural season. Nick then left for LSU after that season. Kurt did get the best of Nick once during his tenure at LSU. You probably didn't see the game, but it was the most masterful thing I've ever seen. O'Keefe got us out to a big lead, Nick gouged Norm's defense and they took the lead late. Then, as the clock was winding down, O'Keefe dialed up a touchdown pass from Drew Tate to Warren Holloway that was put on the board as time expired.

Kurt's 1-1 record against Nick is I believe up there with the best among active coaches. Dabo, Hugh Freeze and Jimbo are the only active coaches with multiple wins against Nick. Even Kirby has only bested Nick once. If Ferentz finishes with a .500 career record against Nick that will be a damned big accomplishment.

Oh yea.

Never happened. Nick beat Iowa 49-3 in Kurt's inaugural season. Nick then left for LSU after that season. Kurt did get the best of Nick once during his tenure at LSU. You probably didn't see the game, but it was the most masterful thing I've ever seen. O'Keefe got us out to a big lead, Nick gouged Norm's defense and they took the lead late. Then, as the clock was winding down, O'Keefe dialed up a touchdown pass from Drew Tate to Warren Holloway that was put on the board as time expired.

Kurt's 1-1 record against Nick is I believe up there with the best among active coaches. Dabo, Hugh Freeze and Jimbo are the only active coaches with multiple wins against Nick. Even Kirby has only bested Nick once. If Ferentz finishes with a .500 career record against Nick that will be a damned big accomplishment.
This makes KOK seem like a genius, but neither he nor anyone else on the Iowa bench or team realized the fucking clock was running. It was the last play only because of shitty clock management, but I have never went from screaming profanities of anger at the tv to profanities of joy so quickly in my life. Holloway was somehow left wide open on a 9 route, made a tough catch, and still could have easily been tackled at the 10. Every time I watch it on Classic I still can't believe it happened.

This makes KOK seem like a genius, but neither he nor anyone else on the Iowa bench or team realized the fucking clock was running. It was the last play only because of shitty clock management, but I have never went from screaming profanities of anger at the tv to profanities of joy so quickly in my life. Holloway was somehow left wide open on a 9 route, made a tough catch, and still could have easily been tackled at the 10. Every time I watch it on Classic I still can't believe it happened.

KOK's job was to call the play, which he did. He's not there to watch the clock. That's the head man's job. When we were playing for all the marbles, chips down on the table, Ken O'Keefe called the greatest play ever. Dialed it up just right.

If you're my age, you may remember that, like Michigan basketball coach Bill Frieder, Leon Burtnett went out of his way to take shots at Hayden and Iowa at every opportunity. The fans, the players, the program, everything.

In 1984 Iowa went into West Lafayette and obliterated a Burtnett coached Purdue team. Leon afterward said he was unimpressed, saying it was his own team's mistakes and blown coverages that caused the defeat (Iowa was in the midst of a run at time where they would go a month without allowing a touchdown).

He went anti Iowa again in 1985 and 86, saying Iowa's #1 ranking was a mirage and that their kicking game sucked (Iowa beat #2 Michigan that year in the legendary game where the kicking game provided all their points) And Iowa whipped Purdue so bad in 1986 that their version or Rudy (fifth year senior defensive back Willie Bishop) was able to get into the game)

Leon, who passed away fairly recently, may have been a Texas native and may have had a history with Hayden. I think he was also a Fred Akers disciple (Akers would succeed Burtnett at Purdue in the late 80's) and Iowa absolutely shredded an Akers coached Texas team in the Freedom Bowl one year. In any case when Purdue came to Iowa in 1986 I remember taking out a sharpie and writing the following on my bota

Burtnett's
Obviously a
Total
Asshole
This is an excellent historical review! I was at one of those Leon Butternut games in West Lafayette. He was indeed a douche.

The Iowa v Akers coached longhorn game was epic.

This is an excellent historical review! I was at one of those Leon Butternut games in West Lafayette. He was indeed a douche.

The Iowa v Akers coached longhorn game was epic.
And that was the nickname some of the Iowa nedia had for coach Burtnett. For sure Marc Hansen at the Des Moines Register.

I'm not sure I would say complacency is an issue. A successful high major head coach can not be complacent and win games at the same time. This narrative came in the 5 years from 2010-2014 when we won 8, 7, 4, 8, 7 ( 6.8 wpy) and stuck around through the next 7 years ('15-'21) where we won 12, 8, 8, 9, 10, 6 (covid), and 10 (9.4* wpy). With 6.8 wpy, thinking complacency is an issue is understandable. 9.4? I don't see it. Since 2015, Iowa has the 9th most wins amongst P5 schools.

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Georgia
Notre Dame
Wisconsin
Oklahoma State
Iowa

If you told me that we're going to win 9.4 games per year in the next 6 years, 10th most in P5, sign me up.

*6-2 in covid year has the same winning percentage as 9-3, which is what I used to get 9.4.
Indeed! Sign me up as well.

I was at the game, nearer the opposite endzone....I had lost my voice by the end of the 3rd quarter.

All I could do after the TD was lay back in the Iowa moshpit and get jostled around.

Fun day. Cold beers. Truly a high water mark for Iowa's program.

And yes, it absolutely was poor clock management.

And yes, LSU absolutely blew their prevent coverage.

Somewhere out there in radio-land, there is a clip of the LSU announcers when the "catch" occurred. Funny pair of goobers to be sure.

Kirk hiring his son as the OC/QB coach on top of the futility of Grandpa Greg and a below average offense I think is the biggest criticism. Beyond that it has been comfortably beyond reasonably acceptable. Usually good, but not great, but from time to time flirting with greatness. It is still an investment you hold on to.

And yes, it absolutely was poor clock management.

And yes, LSU absolutely blew their prevent coverage.

Somewhere out there in radio-land, there is a clip of the LSU announcers when the "catch" occurred. Funny pair of goobers to be sure.
Iowa’s confusion ended up confusing LSU. Kirk, Tate and Dolph have all said as such. Iowa had run that drive like they were playing for a FG. All of the sudden the clock was running and LSU was frantically running personnel on and off the field. They ended up in the wrong defense with the wrong personnel. Holloway's defender thought they were in zone and peeled off at about fifteen yards. Tate saw it right away and went for the jugular.

KOK's job was to call the play, which he did. He's not there to watch the clock. That's the head man's job. When we were playing for all the marbles, chips down on the table, Ken O'Keefe called the greatest play ever. Dialed it up just right.
I can't tell if you are kidding. But, Iowa was down with less than 20 seconds to go at midfield and no timeouts. He called a 9 route across the board. I guess a non-genius coach might have called a hitch route. LSU failed to cover a guy. Not exactly a football Mensa competition happening there.

Iowa’s confusion ended up confusing LSU. Kirk, Tate and Dolph have all said as such. Iowa had run that drive like they were playing for a FG. All of the sudden the clock was running and LSU was frantically running personnel on and off the field. They ended up in the wrong defense with the wrong personnel. Holloway's defender thought they were in zone and peeled off at about fifteen yards. Tate saw it right away and went for the jugular.
I have heard KF explain it that way and I suspect there is some truth to it. But, he explains it with way too much pride. As though his clock management incompetence was somehow part of his dastardly plan.

I was at the game, nearer the opposite endzone....I had lost my voice by the end of the 3rd quarter.

All I could do after the TD was lay back in the Iowa moshpit and get jostled around.

Fun day. Cold beers. Truly a high water mark for Iowa's program.
Me too. Wildest Hawk football post game in the stands I have ever seen.

I have heard KF explain it that way and I suspect there is some truth to it. But, he explains it with way too much pride. As though his clock management incompetence was somehow part of his dastardly plan.
That pass to Holloway was the climax of a once in a lifetime run. First Iowa pisses all over itself for three hours at Happy Valley but somehow escapes with a 6-4 baseball score type win. Then Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber rough us up for like 350 combined rushing yards and we steal a win by kicking five field goals. Then Wisconsin comes into Kinnick and dominates time of possession but turns it over half a dozen times.

If there was a playoff that year we would have been Natty's. That team got on a one time run where they refused to lose, and kept finding ways to win. Down to the fifth string running back? No problem! Survive and move on. I can't believe an NFL team didn't snap Kirk up that year. Perhaps he would never have left in the first place.

That pass to Holloway was the climax of a once in a lifetime run. First Iowa pisses all over itself for three hours at Happy Valley but somehow escapes with a 6-4 baseball score type win. Then Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber rough us up for like 350 combined rushing yards and we steal a win by kicking five field goals. Then Wisconsin comes into Kinnick and dominates time of possession but turns it over half a dozen times.

If there was a playoff that year we would have been Natty's. That team got on a one time run where they refused to lose, and kept finding ways to win. Down to the fifth string running back? No problem! Survive and move on. I can't believe an NFL team didn't snap Kirk up that year. Perhaps he would never have left in the first place.
You say that as though its unusual. Isn't what you described above pretty much how we won all 10 games last season?

I bet if you would ask KF his favorite game of all time it was that PSU 6-4 game. KF is allergic to TDs, friends with FGs, in love with punts, and would marry safeties if he could.

That's what was impressive from Tates angle of it all. Once he knew clock was running and took the snap he wasn't looking for a short ball to get OB quick or anything like that. He quickly saw the DB on Holloway got the wrong memo and didn't stay with him and was playing zone I guess. So Tate put it right on him impressive all the way around

That's what was impressive from Tates angle of it all. Once he knew clock was running and took the snap he wasn't looking for a short ball to get OB quick or anything like that. He quickly saw the DB on Holloway got the wrong memo and didn't stay with him and was playing zone I guess. So Tate put it right on him impressive all the way around

Heads up play and it showed great coaching of situational awareness. Say, who was the quarterback coach that year?

Kirk hiring his son as the OC/QB coach on top of the futility of Grandpa Greg and a below average offense I think is the biggest criticism. Beyond that it has been comfortably beyond reasonably acceptable. Usually good, but not great, but from time to time flirting with greatness. It is still an investment you hold on to.

The hiring of Greg Davis was a drift sock for the Iowa program. Watching Iowa trying to incorporate and gel Greg's offensive style with Kirk's offensive philosophy was like watching oil and water mix. It just did not work and set this program back a few years. The performance on the field affected recruiting to certain positions which just was an obstacle that took years to get over.

Latest posts