Howe: Iowa Needs to Pick Up Pace in NIL Race

Unfortunately NIL is going to be driven by how big your fanbase is and how rich it is. It will not bode well for Iowa. The school can't change that.

As I wrote in the column, Iowa's athletic budget is Top 5 in B1G and Top 20 in the country.

Little old Iowa refrain does not apply. The money is there. It's how creative and progressive the department can be with NIL.

Barta has never had a problem raising $ for projects either..... Everytime you turn around he's got his hands out to donors to help with this addition or that addition. It's probably his biggest strength as an AD is his fund raising. All he'd have to do is focus on this and put something creative together and they can at least be in the game.

Barta has never had a problem raising $ for projects either..... Everytime you turn around he's got his hands out to donors to help with this addition or that addition. It's probably his biggest strength as an AD is his fund raising. All he'd have to do is focus on this and put something creative together and they can at least be in the game.
Barta's a fax machine guy in an era of mobile webmail. He's not cut out for modern ways of thinking and modern ways of doing things.

Barta's a fax machine guy in an era of mobile webmail. He's not cut out for modern ways of thinking and modern ways of doing things.
Evolve or go extinct. He has to have the coaches banging on his door explaining what needs to be done. Football and MBB won't be able to compete if Iowa doesn't try to match the arm's race. It really aint rocket science. There is a blueprint. And as noted, Barta knows how to grease palms and raise dollars.

True another reason he and KF get along well. But they can delegate the other stuff out. Keep living in the stone age and you'll be left behind

Evolve or go extinct. He has to have the coaches banging on his door explaining what needs to be done. Football and MBB won't be able to compete if Iowa doesn't try to match the arm's race. It really aint rocket science. There is a blueprint. And as noted, Barta knows how to grease palms and raise dollars.
True another reason he and KF get along well. But they can delegate the other stuff out. Keep living in the stone age and you'll be left behind
Barta will go extinct. He and Kurt are too old and too rich to F around trying to figure this thing out.

It’s exceedingly rare that you find a rich old dog willing to learn new tricks.

Even with a Collective, figuring out who gets what and how much will get messy and complicated.

I'm not a Barta guy, but diving into the deep end of the pool is lot more trickier than people think. It needs to be done, but expect a lot of belly flops along the way.

Last edited:
Unfortunately NIL is going to be driven by how big your fanbase is and how rich it is. It will not bode well for Iowa. The school can't change that.

People thought the transfer portal was bad. This NIL and free agency is much worse, although, the way the portal is set up now it plays into the free agency. But, without the NIL, I think teams would do fine with the movement of some players like the best of the worst players. But, NIL is making good players leave for better $$$ opportunities such as with Hunter at Iowa State. I don't think there was any controversy and/or disagreement with coaches. No deaths in the family or wanting to be closer to granny who is in poor health. He simply followed the $$$ which is horrible for college sports.

I think they should allow a player one move, no questions asked but really srteamline the reasons for any subsequent moves and have to sit out a year. There needs to be some control to this.

Last edited:
As I wrote in the column, Iowa's athletic budget is Top 5 in B1G and Top 20 in the country.

Little old Iowa refrain does not apply. The money is there. It's how creative and progressive the department can be with NIL.

I think the NCAA or governing body needs to cap out the payments from the collectives to students. Maybe they have. This could at least somewhat level the playing field if some of the other smaller or non-blue blood programs don't raise quite as much but can meet that cap for their athletes.

So, if they did that, players would be paid and have more $$ to live comfortably and many teams would have a level playing field if they could raise the $$ to cover athletes to meet the cap. It's all about regulating the "collective" and amount the athletes can get.

Also, will this be affecting every single athlete in every sport at the college? Are we going to expect athletes from the volleyball team or crew club expecting the same payouts, and if they don, lawsuits coming.?

This is a can of worms, folks! Buckle up!

Last edited:

I think Barta gets along so well and survives because he's a yes man, particularly to KF. Kirk Ferentz I feel is the puppet master.

Barta will go extinct. He and Kurt are too old and too rich to F around trying to figure this thing out.

It’s exceedingly rare that you find a rich old dog willing to learn new tricks.

And I wonder what pushed Mike Krchyeslskseiskskiki at Duke to retire? I wonder if this portal and NIL shit was of no interest to him. When changes come, many people decide F it, I'm just going to retire. Happens all the time where I work.

And I wonder what pushed Mike Krchyeslskseiskskiki at Duke to retire? I wonder if this portal and NIL shit was of no interest to him. When changes come, many people decide F it, I'm just going to retire. Happens all the time where I work.
That and I think he's been 3/4ths dead since about 2018. The guy looks like a friggin corpse.

Did you see his limp this year anytime he was walking through the tunnel? Hobbled around with a blank stare on his face like he should’ve been in a hospital bed somewhere, but the athletic department had jacked him up on just enough coke for him to look like he was still breathing. Definitely headed to Corsoville and you could tell in his court side interviews.

Hell, Duke is a cutting edge school, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been dead for a few years and they just keep spray painting his hair black with some facial robotics and a speaker in his throat to make it look like he’s still vertical. Throw him out there with a remote control like a high-tech version of Weekend at Bernie’s.

Even with a Collective, figuring out who gets what and how much will get messy and complicated.

I'm not a Barta guy, but diving into the deep end of the pool is lot more trickier than people think. It needs to be done, but expect a lot of belly flops along the way.
If Barta belly flopped or face planted in any way he would mess up his teeth worse than they already are.

It remains to be seen whether or not K can live without it. Rollie Massimino and Jim Calhoun, to name two examples, came back at smaller schools because they couldn't live without it.

Money is no problem for Iowa. Iowa is probably number one for lower population states and not gunning for a national championship in something bigger than wrestling. Wisconsin is a bit higher but with nearly 2x people. Utah may be a bit different.