FYI Hawks on TV

Just set my DVR for the Iowa game on Thursday. Tru TV channel 242 on Dish.
You should ditch the dish and go YouTube TV. Waaaaay cheaper, no contract, and the DVR functions are head and shoulders above any dish or cable provider.

For sports, you just select what teams you want whether it's college, pro, or otherwise, and YTTV automatically records every single thing. I told it three years ago to record Hawk MBB, FB, baseball, and wrestling, and I've never had to set anything again for the Hawks. You can also select entire sports. Like mine is set to record all B1G wrestling. Never have to mess with it.

In fact, when I got home last night and turned it on, YTTV had a menu pop up with all 68 tourney teams and asked me which ones I want to record for the whole tournament. I love it. And it's cheaper.

I concur Fry. Have had YouTube TV for like at least 5 yrs now and never going back.

On top of what you state, one of the best benefits is having absolutely no additional equipment or cords, either to try to hide or the error rate of more equipment and cords.

Oh, and no rain fade.

I concur Fry. Have had YouTube TV for like at least 5 yrs now and never going back.

On top of what you state, one of the best benefits is having absolutely no additional equipment or cords, either to try to hide or the error rate of more equipment and cords.

Oh, and no rain fade.
Also, the YT mobile app is just ridiculously slick. Rewatched every football game on the way home this year while my kid drove, same thing with the Brands documentary after the PSU dual. I honestly can't find a single flaw with the YTTV experience, and I'm not a person who would normally say that about any product.

The price is right, the stream never buffers, the TV and mobile apps are flawless IMO, and the guide is miles ahead of any other dish or streaming service. And that's not to mention the DVR benefits.

You should ditch the dish and go YouTube TV. Waaaaay cheaper, no contract, and the DVR functions are head and shoulders above any dish or cable provider.

For sports, you just select what teams you want whether it's college, pro, or otherwise, and YTTV automatically records every single thing. I told it three years ago to record Hawk MBB, FB, baseball, and wrestling, and I've never had to set anything again for the Hawks. You can also select entire sports. Like mine is set to record all B1G wrestling. Never have to mess with it.

In fact, when I got home last night and turned it on, YTTV had a menu pop up with all 68 tourney teams and asked me which ones I want to record for the whole tournament. I love it. And it's cheaper.

This times one million

The DVR feature is worth its weight in Gold

Yeah, I saw that tournament option last night also

It's All Good

:cool:

Also, the YT mobile app is just ridiculously slick. Rewatched every football game on the way home this year while my kid drove, same thing with the Brands documentary after the PSU dual. I honestly can't find a single flaw with the YTTV experience, and I'm not a person who would normally say that about any product.

The price is right, the stream never buffers, the TV and mobile apps are flawless IMO, and the guide is miles ahead of any other dish or streaming service. And that's not to mention the DVR benefits.

Yea, I have ABSOLUTELY no reason to change, and have not even thought about it. DirecTV used to occasionally call to try to get me back. Years and years ago, I'd entertain it trying to get a better deal but not the way anymore. They don't even call anymore.

There is not a damn benefit they can sell me on. I don't do introductory rates where it automatically goes up after 3 months and I don't want all the equipment.

With YouTube there is no contract so one isn't anchored to a contract, and again, no damn equipment. It's flawless and easy to connect and BOOM!

Game starts at 3:10 Eastern. My son has a baseball game at 5:30 Eastern. Takes 17 minutes to get from the Davenport to the dugout. Do you guys think the game will be over by 5:13 or should I just ditch the game?

It needs a damn one button previous channel function!

Last edited:
It needs a damn previous channel function!

I have a chromecast and it is a two button push ordeal, but if you hit down on the remote it will have the last thing you were watching and you can hit okay and it flips it. On college football day, if you hit down it will have every game you have flipped between. I didn't care for it at first, but it is way better than having to hit "282" or whatever and memorizing all the channel numbers to flip between 5 live games.

I have a chromecast and it is a two button push ordeal, but if you hit down on the remote it will have the last thing you were watching and you can hit okay and it flips it. On college football day, if you hit down it will have every game you have flipped between. I didn't care for it at first, but it is way better than having to hit "282" or whatever and memorizing all the channel numbers to flip between 5 live games.
Ah yeah was just editing to change my last post to one button, I'm lazy. The previous watch list is nice but not in place of a one touch previous channel! I want both :D

Agree 100%....youtubetv is the way to go.

Game starts at 3:10 Eastern. My son has a baseball game at 5:30 Eastern. Takes 17 minutes to get from the Davenport to the dugout. Do you guys think the game will be over by 5:13 or should I just ditch the game?

You could get Youtube TV free for 2 weeks

All you need is the internet and a Gmail account

DVR the game and no worries

After the free 2 weeks, you can get 1 month for $14.99

Cancel anytime

Might need a Roku or Chromecast to access Youtube TV though

Roku is good to have for everything else, just like Chromecast

You can access Netflix, Amazon Prine, Hulu, etc

You can cast the Youtube app from your phone to the TV

246 on my DirecTV, and I won't be switch as I gotta have my Cub games.
Assuming you have DirectTV's choice package, you're paying $70 more a month than YTTV plus $12 to get the regional sports, and a contract... That's a hell of a lot of money to watch the Cubs play for 7 months.

You could get Youtube TV free for 2 weeks

All you need is the internet and a Gmail account

DVR the game and no worries

After the free 2 weeks, you can get 1 month for $14.99

Cancel anytime

Might need a Roku or Chromecast to access Youtube TV though

Roku is good to have for everything else, just like Chromecast

You can access Netflix, Amazon Prine, Hulu, etc

You can cast the Youtube app from your phone to the TV

@okeefe4prez already has YTTV. He's asking if we think he can make it in time for his kid's ballgame after the Hawks play.

Assuming you have DirectTV's choice package, you're paying $70 more a month than YTTV plus $12 to get the regional sports, and a contract... That's a hell of a lot of money to watch the Cubs play for 7 months.

Yep, my fingers are crossed that they will eventually have the Marquee network as a stand alone or streaming service. They've been talking about it.

I'm not paying that much for DirecTV all you have to do is call in every 6 months or so and threaten to cancel. Dish is the exact same way for years I paid about half price for their Choice package but when they didn't strike a deal with Marquee I was gone. Right now I'm only paying $70 per month for the Choice and I don't need the regional sports package. That price is good for another 6 months and went it goes back to regular price I'll call and threaten to cancel.

Yea, you can live without Cub games. I don't miss them.

Not me, I've been a huge Cubs fan my entire life. I miss the days you could get the games on either WGN (which used to come with any basic cable package) or a local channel. Marquee has been a bit of a pain in the ass but I understand the business side of it.

Not me, I've been a huge Cubs fan my entire life. I miss the days you could get the games on either WGN (which used to come with any basic cable package) or a local channel. Marquee has been a bit of a pain in the ass but I understand the business side of it.
I'm 41, a third generation Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves fan. But also a huge Cubs fan as my second team.

When I was a kid the Cubs were baseball heaven for boys my age. Wrigley didn't have lights so there were always day games to watch when we were at home in the summer while mom and dad worked, and all of 'em were on WGN. It was a ritual to go to my rec sports stuff in the morning, come home, grab a snack and sprawl out on the couch to watch the Cubs all through the 80s. I felt like I knew Harry Caray and Steve Stone better than some of my own friends.

I've been one my entire life as well. Marquee is what did it for me. If they offered an online streaming service I would have purchased one, but I don't see that option.

Yea, miss the WGN and other station days when it was easier and they were on every game.

Not completely sure your age. It doesn't seem like I missed too many games from my pre-teen years up until the Marquee change. I'm 50 now and don't care to chase it anymore since is difficult. I don't feel like caving in to the broadcasters. Not sure your age, but wouldn't surprise me if is the same for you as well. Eventually, it doesn't seem like that much of a priority.

Last edited:

Latest posts