Rebrotcha-watch...

Fryowa

Administrator
I asked it in a different thread but thought it warranted its own. It's always a significant thing when there's a possibility of one of your starters coming back.

We'll let this thread collect opinions, facts, and related conjecture about whether Fil comes back or not.

I for one would love it. Anytime you can bring back a guy with 4 years of D-1 experience, one of them at a P-6 team in a conference as tough as this one is a good thing.

I would welcome back. He is a hard worker, but he is playing out of position. He got screwed out of a lot of over the back no calls in the BTT. But, it would be nice if Fran can shore up that center position some. Maybe O and Mulvey will be more game ready to take more more minutes next year.

Are you asking because of a COVID year? I guess why wouldn't he be back? He's not projected to be a NBA pick.
I’m a normal world this would’ve been his last year of eligibility. But everyone gets an extra COVID year. Since he’s a current starter with no young stud to displace him, I’m assuming Fran would take him back. He’d probably have to start grad school, which I’m not sure he wants to do.

I would welcome back. He is a hard worker, but he is playing out of position. He got screwed out of a lot of over the back no calls in the BTT. But, it would be nice if Fran can shore up that center position some. Maybe O and Mulvey will be more game ready to take more more minutes next year.
Josh has been a miss so far. He can’t seem to get out of his own way for some reason.

Josh has been a miss so far. He can’t seem to get out of his own way for some reason.
He can't shoot, but he is a load around the basket....loved the and 1 against the Purdue giant. Missed the free throw though.

His airball was the worse airballs I have ever seen.

I would be surprised if he was not back. Unless he is dying to start making a little scratch overseas, this is a great gig for a 22 year old.

From the little sample size, I wonder if we have missed on both of our young centers. Don't get me wrong, Josh came in and did a wail of a job yesterday. But, beyond being really big, he sure doesn't look like he has the skills to play 25+ minutes. Mulvey has had no opportunity really, and he is very young. But, what little we have seen to date is not encouraging. That said, big men usually take longer.

If I were Fran, I would strongly consider a transfer big. With Keegan gone and Kris likely starting, who is your post off the bench? Its gotta be one of these two. Yikes.

I heard multiple times that this was it and he will be playing overseas next year. Haven't got confirmation so who knows.

Rebracca
Conner
Jbo
Kris Murray
Keegan Murray

I wouldn't be surprised if all 5 are gone. You are really hoping Kris comes back and it is wait and see mode on Rebracca.

I heard multiple times that this was it and he will be playing overseas next year. Haven't got confirmation so who knows.

Rebracca
Conner
Jbo
Kris Murray
Keegan Murray

I wouldn't be surprised if all 5 are gone. You are really hoping Kris comes back and it is wait and see mode on Rebracca.

I'm rather curious on why you think Kris leaves?

I'm rather curious on why you think Kris leaves?

If Kenyon says he isn’t ready, then he isn’t ready and he will be back. I just don’t think it is a slam dunk that everyone is making out to be that he is coming back.

He is already a 2nd round pick, he will be doing the same things that his brother is doing in these pre-draft work outs and if he crushes it, he slides into the late first round. This comes down to Fran being able to sell Kris and Kenyon that it is worth it for him to come back. I was listening to Kakert last week and he made compelling case for him not coming back.

It isn’t a slam dunk…unless you have a sources…I would be in wait and see mode.
Believe what you want, that dude ain't leaving. He's started a grand total of one game in his entire college career and averaged 7 pts with a .474 shooting percentage and 1 rebound per game.

On what planet is a player with that stat line even gonna consider Europe, let alone the NBA?

FR stated several times leading up to the season that unless he had NBA interests he'd be playing 2 years at Iowa. Feel free to google that, it's on a number of articles regarding his recruitment to Iowa. Things change but I'm willing to take his word for it until I hear differently from him.

Kris isn't going pro this season unless we watch him and Keegan lead us to the final 4 and Kris is a major contributor doing so. Even then it's a long shot but if that's the case, I am game for it. I think there's a higher chance that Keegan might say "I want to play with my brother another season" and comes back vs. Kris is going pro. Which isn't something I'd put high odds on either, just higher odds than Kris going pro.

I agree that the league drafts more on potential and eyeball, than stat lines. So, you each have a bit of a point.

But, let's look at it another way. If Keegan Murray did not exist, would there even be a discussion about a bench player from Iowa averaging 7 points a game being drafted???? Answer the question to yourself honestly, boys. You know the answer.

Just because they are twins does not mean they have the same game. They already don't. Despite all of our hopes and dreams to the contrary, Kris is never going to be Keegan. Keegan is more athletic and has better intangible instincts. Do I believe that Kris can develop into a draftable NBA talent? Yes. Do I believe he will? 50/50. Do I believe he is shown enough to warrant leaving this year? Nope.

He needs to come back and show next year. He will get the benefit of the doubt because of his brother. But, he doesn't get a free pass into the league because of his brother.

I will say this though, although I agree with Fry that he does not have the big numbers, the NBA drafts on potential to (where I'm sure Trj is alluding to). That is where Kris could potentially leave.

I agree that the league drafts more on potential and eyeball, than stat lines. So, you each have a bit of a point.

But, let's look at it another way. If Keegan Murray did not exist, would there even be a discussion about a bench player from Iowa averaging 7 points a game being drafted???? Answer the question to yourself honestly, boys. You know the answer.

Just because they are twins does not mean they have the same game. They already don't. Despite all of our hopes and dreams to the contrary, Kris is never going to be Keegan. Keegan is more athletic and has better intangible instincts. Do I believe that Kris can develop into a draftable NBA talent? Yes. Do I believe he will? 50/50. Do I believe he is shown enough to warrant leaving this year? Nope.

He needs to come back and show next year. He will get the benefit of the doubt because of his brother. But, he doesn't get a free pass into the league because of his brother.

So will you freak out if he test the waters at the end of the season? The 2nd round is all about taking a flyer on someone. The 5% chance you stumble onto Manu Giniboli. Hell, I can make an argument the back half of the 1st round is that way. Kris could easily slip into that 2nd round with good pre-draft workouts that he is basically showing up to with his brother.

On a much smaller scale, think of Steph and Seth Curry. One is a phenomenal talent, the other has to figure it out. Agree to disagree, I think Kris could figure it out.

Bottom line, I think Fran has to convince Kenyon and Kris that it is worth it for him to come back. As a Iowa fan I am rooting for him to come back. I just roll my eyes at people that think it is some obvious, slam dunk case that he comes back.