Rebrotcha-watch...

Do me a favor next year before the season starts. Take the referee test! Get in a referee some games. Its a great way to learn the way to talk to referees that grabs our attention. When a coach doesnt use "slang" when they talk to me, they've got my attention because then I know they know what they are talking about.
You can lecture me all you want, but I’ve been a high school and Legion baseball official for a looooooong time and a football official not nearly as long. Also a high school coach in Iowa. I’ve talked to more coaches and officials in my life than you could shake a stick at. I also know what your duties and responsibilities are as an official, and nowhere in those duties is it stated or implied that your job is to keep the game “flowing.”

Whatsoever.

Your job is to adhere to the mechanics of the officiating manual and make calls as apparent to you as they happen. Not coach kids. In fact, one of the hallmarks of a hack official is he or she trying to coach kids during games and point out infractions. Officials like yourself do so to because they’re insecure in their abilities and have a need to demonstrate to people that they know what they’re talking about. That’s why you came here to comment for the first time in 13 years of membership to bust out the ol’ spiel about over the back phraseology.

I’ve taken 5 NFHS “referee tests” in 3 states to officiate baseball, 2 states for football. I’ve umpired NAIA and division III baseball which were more “referee tests.” Your use of the term “referee test” tells me you definitely haven’t done any officiating past your podunk town’s 3rd grade rec league.

So “do me a favor” next year before the season starts and get your coaching certificate. Or don’t. I’m not too worried about it.

We averaged something like 84 points per game this year. Most of second half of the Big 10 season we were winning by double digit points. IMO, we didn't need more scoring. I thought the kid did a good job of doing what was asked of him, which was play defense, rebound and collect some garbage points around the basket.
Would it have been nice to have some more scoring against Richmond? Of course. But I don't think it was really this kid's role and he performed well overall. If he were scoring more threes it would have just been at someone else's expense.
I don't think him making shots he was taking anyway woulda been at someone else's expense. Unless someone got the offensive rebound. It's not so much taking more as it is being able to make them when they were available. He passed on taking open looks similar to CM at times due to confidence. Teams didn't respect his shot outside the lane really and didn't need to so they sagged off of him. Even his touch around the basket wasn't that great. He did have a few good games I'm not trying to just bash the kid. I'm just saying the difference between him and Nunge or someone like that who was taller longer more athletic woulda been significantly noticed.

Rebraca avged 5.8 pts 53% fg shooting (not that good considering most of his shots were within 5 feet of the hoop) 16% from 3 and 60% for FTs. I don't think that's what Fran had in mind when he brought him in...

I completely agree. Its not my job to coach. Its my job to have the game run with some flow. If we dont help Jr. High, high school and college kids along then we will stop the game alot for stuff that can be helped. In college games its brief and there isnt alot, but we dont talk. Just not as much. I have not ran into a referee that refuses to talk to players about violations. You are the first coach Ive met that hates us talking to the players. But then again, I always run into coaches that think they can referee unbiasly from the sideline while also coaching their kids.
Do me a favor next year before the season starts. Take the referee test! Get in a referee some games. Its a great way to learn the way to talk to referees that grabs our attention. When a coach doesnt use "slang" when they talk to me, they've got my attention because then I know they know what they are talking about.

Don't you think, though, that if these infractions were called more and more consistently among the family of "officials", that eventually coaches and teams would smarten up and work to eliminate those infractions, such as in practice? If those obvious infractions are called, then I think just naturally those infractions would minimize over time. To me, is sounds like refs that want to coach the players or give warnings don't want to be "the bad guy". If you are an official, officiate and have confidence in your calls. Is that the reason the 3 second call in the lane isn't called, because officials don't want to take the wrath from the teams fans? It's easier to warn players so as not have to deal with the boos from fans?

To me, really that only enables the players bad behavior and prolongs it. Nip it in the bud.

I'd rather a 3.5 second call be called on a player that camps in the lane on every possession than see that ticky tack hand check foul at the top of the key that really doesn't have an impact on the play. What's the difference between calling one or the other as both stop the flow of the game. I absolutely hate those ticky tack foul calls when it doesn't impact an offensive play.

I also think many referees in basketball think they have to blow the whistle just because they have one or they can. Many seem to want to be part of the game. They become too much of the game. The best are the officials who you don't know their name, I guess.

Last edited:
You can lecture me all you want, but I’ve been a high school and American Legion baseball official for a looooooong time and a football official not nearly as long. Also a high school coach in Iowa. I’ve talked to more coaches and officials in my life than you could shake a stick at. I also know what your duties and responsibilities are as an official, and nowhere in those duties is it stated or implied that your job is to keep the game “flowing.”

Whatsoever.

Your job is to adhere to the mechanics of the officiating manual and make calls as apparent to you as they happen. Not coach kids. In fact, one of the hallmarks of a hack official is he or she trying to coach kids during games and point out infractions. Officials like yourself do so to because they’re insecure in their abilities and have a need to demonstrate to people that they know what they’re talking about. That’s why you came here to comment for the first time in 13 years of membership to bust out the ol’ spiel about over the back phraseology.

I’ve taken 5 NFHS “referee tests” in 3 states to officiate baseball, 2 states for football. I’ve umpired NAIA and division III baseball which were more “referee tests.” Your use of the term “referee test” tells me you definitely haven’t done any officiating past your podunk town’s 3rd grade rec league.

So “do me a favor” next year before the season starts and get your coaching certificate. Or don’t. I’m not too worried about it.
I dont spend my time on message boards complaining about refereeing at a basketball game or who Iowa should or should not start at QB. The fact that you took the time to look a that up tells me you might still live at home.
You stated about being a "hack" official about coaching kids. Talking to the kids like "out of the lane" or "straight up" is being a hack then I should get my money back from 22 camps that I have attended and at 3 of them the guest speaker was Ted Valentine, Rick Boyages, and Courtney Green. You might know Courtney from the crew at Rutgers.
Everything they talk about is communicate to the players about violations if asked and talk them out of silly violations. I understand you cant wrap your head around that. But, its taught and encouraged in basketball at high levels. As a past high school and college softball umpire you cant talk players out of violations. Softball and baseball are different sports with a different sort of rules than basketball.

You can call me a hack and thats just your opinion and Im good with a guy spending all of his time on Hawkeye Nation complaining about literally everything I have to say and picking apart my statements. Because in the grand scheme of things, I've had better people say worst. BTW. I live in the 2nd biggest city in Iowa and played college and professional baseball. So if you want to degrade anyone, you better choose someone else. If your job as an adminstrator is to talk down and call people names then honestly being part of this board isnt for me. Stay in the stands and yell at us. I will just stand there and smile knowing that I have another game tomorrow in another city with another college and there will be 10 men of you.
Lastly: NCAA official talking to players during play at 3:20 if you care to watch. She must be out of her mind.

Last edited:
Don't you think, though, that if these infractions were called more and more consistently among the family of "officials", that eventually coaches and teams would smarten up and work to eliminate those infractions, such as in practice? If those obvious infractions are called, then I think just naturally those infractions would minimize over time. To me, is sounds like refs that want to coach the players or give warnings don't want to be "the bad guy". If you are an official, officiate and have confidence in your calls. Is that the reason the 3 second call in the lane isn't called, because officials don't want to take the wrath from the teams fans? It's easier to warn players so as not have to deal with the boos from fans?

To me, really that only enables the players bad behavior and prolongs it. Nip it in the bud.

I'd rather a 3.5 second call be called on a player that camps in the lane on every possession than see that ticky tack hand check foul at the top of the key that really doesn't have an impact on the play. What's the difference between calling one or the other as both stop the flow of the game. I absolutely hate those ticky tack foul calls when it doesn't impact an offensive play.

I also think many referees in basketball think they have to blow the whistle just because they have one or they can. Many seem to want to be part of the game. They become too much of the game. The best are the officials who you don't know their name, I guess.
I could go into this with alot of examples. But honestly you would get bored. One time our crew called over 10 3 second violations and gave out about 2-3 total "hey clear 15" warnings to different players. Coach asked why we didnt warn them. I asked why he didnt coach them to get out at 3. He shrugged and smiled Both coaches were mad, but understood. The next time the played, no violations.

I dont want to be part of the game. I know some officials that do. I would rather blow my whistle as few times as possible. So when you say we become too much part of the game, what if you were at a game and you saw 3+ 3 second violations whistled. What would you think?

I dont spend my time on message boards complaining about refereeing at a basketball game or who Iowa should or should not start at QB. The fact that you took the time to look a that up tells me you might still live at home.
You stated about being a "hack" official about coaching kids. Talking to the kids like "out of the lane" or "straight up" is being a hack then I should get my money back from 22 camps that I have attended and at 3 of them the guest speaker was Ted Valentine, Rick Boyages, and Courtney Green. You might know Courtney from the crew at Rutgers.
Everything they talk about is communicate to the players about violations if asked and talk them out of silly violations. I understand you cant wrap your head around that. But, its taught and incouraged in basketball at high levels. As a past high school and college softball umpire you cant talk players out of violations. Softball and baseball are different sports with a different sort of rules than basketball.

You can call me a hack and thats just your opinion and Im good with a guy spending all of his time on Hawkeye Nation complaining about literally everything I have to say and picking apart my statements. Because in the grand scheme of things, I've had better people say worst. BTW. I live in the 2nd biggest city in Iowa and played college and professional baseball. So if you want to degrade anyone, you better choose someone else
Lastly: NCAA official talking to players during play at 3:20 if you care to watch
Type your resume all you want, it doesn't mean much. You can attend all the camps you want with all the "guest speakers" you can think of and it doesn't make anyone better at the job. There are examples in every profession of people who've done years of schooling and still suck. Remember this if nothing else...Every year there is someone who finished at the bottom of their med school class and still met the requirements to work. You definitely don't want that guy working on you, and he went to a hell of a lot more training than 22 camps.

Bottom line is leave coaching to coaches and officiate your game no matter if you live in the "second biggest city in Iowa" or not (that was super weird to mention, btw).

Yeah, I didn’t realize the age thing until last week. Now it makes sense why people were speculating he was going to play overseas after the season. All that being said, it sounds like he and Conner are both leaning toward coming back.
He may also want to go home to play basketball. After all, Greece pays the least for pro salaries and they are higher than G league salaries. And in many other leagues in Europe, he could make the minimum which is at least 6 figures.