Auburn #1

Iowa is never hiring Bruce Pearl. They will never take on his baggage and the eye brow raises his type of hire at a school like Iowa would get from pretty much every media member that covers The Hawks. He's faced an NCAA violation at almost every job he's had and he's currently on a 4 year probation for violations.

He got caught cheating at WI-Milwaukee lol, that should have been a red flag cause what he got for trouble at TN was basically pretty similar.

He got caught cheating at TN - then he was caught lying to the NCAA about it - faced a 3 year show-cause penalty. His assistants all got drug in with him -Tony Jones, Steve Forbes, and Jason Shay all received one-year show-cause penalties as well

He then got caught cheating again at Auburn and one of his assistants Chuck Person, was hit with six federal charges of bribery, fraud, and conspiracy. I believe Pearl is still under some sort of probation phase at the school of Auburn.

Iowa doesn't need any of that.

Bruce has another power house in the SEC. Seems like only yesterday he was an assistant for Mr. Davis.
To think what he could do with recruiting at Iowa... and he has a personality.
Seems like yesterday damn dude you gotta be old. Cuz I am old and I dont remember Bruce being a assistant and I know he was one but dude that was forever ago.

Ahh the age old question would you take winning now and sanctions later or not? Because everywhere Bruce has been he has been busted for cheating. I personally wouldnt want that but it would be fun winning which you know he would do.

If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying. I know I shouldn’t think this way but I would probably trade our innocence for the excitement and enjoyment of a national championship season. Who cares if you have to forfeit it 5 years later?

I actually kind of agreee with you guys. Because if we ever won a national championship in Football or Basketball it would be awesome crazy and guess what you can never take away the moment or the celebration of that day or week would have.

Bruce Pearl would be a major upgrade....previous scandals or otherwise. One thing is for sure, if he was ever here, it is not like his "cheating past" necessarily drags over to Iowa. He would have a clean slate.

A little off topic, but I thought I'd share.

A good friend of mine played for Bo Ryan and Bruce Pearl at Wisconsin Milwaukee. He talked about the differences between the two. He loved playing for them both and doesn't have a favorite. He liked the structure of Ryan, the teaching, and his knowledge of the game and how he used it to correct things and outcoach teams. He had every minute of the practice scheduled and you had better be ready to work. If you did that, you were good with him and it was an absolute pleasure to play for him. He said Ryan gets such a bad rap because he doesn't come off as a nice, smiley guy. He absolute loved him as a person and as a coach. He thinks it's funny how people think that Ryan is a mean grump that no one should want to play for. He just wonders how those think he has had success if he's so mean, etc.

Pearl was a players coach. I've really never known what that meant until he talked about Pearl. Pearl could sense the team's mood and demeanor the second he walked into practice. He would be able to adjust on the fly to mold his practice to the team he had that day. Obviously it wasn't about lazy days, etc, but more about being worn out, road weary, etc. He also talked about the press. He was at the head of the press. He talked about how they called out their presses (It was more complex than I could grasp), the different wrinkles they could throw at teams, and how Pearl knew the exact point the opponent was starting to figure out the press and counter their moves before they could use them. He said it was amazing how he could do it.

He played overseas for 7 years for 9 different coaches and he said that he didn't know any difference when he went pro. He assumed that all coaches at higher levels would be like Ryan and Pearl. He realized how special they were and it was no surprise to him that they have won as much as they have. He now realized how lucky he was.

'Tis better to have won and have it vacated than to have never won at all.

-Shakespeare
The Immortal Bard by Isaac Asimov

You quoting me, Jack

Iowa is never hiring Bruce Pearl. They will never take on his baggage and the eye brow raises his type of hire at a school like Iowa would get from pretty much every media member that covers The Hawks. He's faced an NCAA violation at almost every job he's had and he's currently on a 4 year probation for violations.

He got caught cheating at WI-Milwaukee lol, that should have been a red flag cause what he got for trouble at TN was basically pretty similar.

He got caught cheating at TN - then he was caught lying to the NCAA about it - faced a 3 year show-cause penalty. His assistants all got drug in with him -Tony Jones, Steve Forbes, and Jason Shay all received one-year show-cause penalties as well

He then got caught cheating again at Auburn and one of his assistants Chuck Person, was hit with six federal charges of bribery, fraud, and conspiracy. I believe Pearl is still under some sort of probation phase at the school of Auburn.

Iowa doesn't need any of that.
Sure could use the recruiting. Live in mediocrity I haven't seen an outright Big Ten Championship since Ralph.

The Bruce Pearl to Iowa ship sailed long ago, if it was even in the water. Fun to think about the possibilities of league and national championships, though, which we’ll never get under Fran McCaffrediocrity.

Bruce Pearl would be a major upgrade....previous scandals or otherwise. One thing is for sure, if he was ever here, it is not like his "cheating past" necessarily drags over to Iowa. He would have a clean slate.
You are kidding yourself if you don't think he would continue to cheat at Iowa or anywhere else.

Would not want, nor would that guy ever come here. Bruce Pearl probably doesn't even remember where Iowa City is anymore.

Chuck Person didn't just go rogue and start getting involved with the Adidas bribery deal on his own, folks. He was told to do it and I guarantee you Brucie paid a hefty sum of money to Person to keep his own ass out of jail. All those shitbag coaches use assistants as fall guys to insulate themselves from trouble. How else do you think the Teflon Dons Calipari and Pitino have stayed outta jail cells while TONS of people associated with them have gone down in flames?

Person is no different than young Henry Hill getting pinched, keeping his mouth shut in court, and getting pats on the backs from Pauly and the boys. Different movie, but Bruce Pearl might as well be named Ace Rothstein.

You are kidding yourself if you don't think he would continue to cheat at Iowa or anywhere else.
My point is, he would have clean slate starting here. Don't find him guilty at Iowa from the start until if he is ever found guilty of a violation if he was ever hypothetical here.

My goodness, he might even be able to buy us a great point guard for once. ;)

Last edited: