Iowa's worst player!

I'm confused about your concourse statement and that Carver doesn't have one. Isn't the top pretty much a concourse. Are you stating that it's that they don't have one like halfway up the stands. I suppose that would be ideal. have it in the middle and have half the crowd come down to it and the other half go up to alleviate some of the congestion. Is that what you are meaning?

I'd be fine with Carver if they just worked to get the students on the side lower. This would be that difficult. They'd just take out some lower seats and put some sensible bleacher or seats in for the students and presume they would stand the entire game. Then have the first of the blue hair rows just above the top of that. They would see fine and the students would have a specific student section close. I don't know why this can't be done. It's not that fucking difficult to figure out and do.

I was talking about not having a concourse between the ground level and the top. If Carver had a concourse it resets the aisles as they wouldn't need as many aisles at the bottom because the seating is more condensed as you go down into the bowl.

BTW, this is never going to happen. I'm sure the cost of adding a concourse to Carver would be astronomical and they would need a financial benefit for doing it, such as luxury box seating. They would automatically get more revenue from concessions by adding an extra concourse but they would have to sell a shitload of extra popcorn to pay for a project like that. You can't pay for an arena with popcorn and hot dog money.

Iowa fans have proven that you can easily sell out football (7 Saturday games) and Wrestling (mostly Friday nights and Sunday's), but basketball hasn't been consistently sold out for the last 15-20 years.

I think the biggest issue is that a good percentage of season ticket holders (first 20 or so rows from baseline to baseline) do not live in Iowa City. And committing to driving into Iowa City 18 times per season on random Monday nights for a 8:07pm tipoff is tough to manage. Also, I would guess that those ticket holders probably don't try to sell their tickets and just let the seats stay empty.

So my suggestion would be for Iowa to implement a practice that after the 12 minute timeout in the first half that fans are welcome to move down to any open seat (including the padded courtside chair sections. This way if there are only 6-7K fans inside Carver, they will at least be packed in closer to the court to make a louder environment.

Yea, this is not really a university issue that can really be helped. Those that have been to Iowa City realize it is a stop and go city when navigating. Stop light to stop light. It does not have any loop I-280 or beltway or major highways going thru the city for easy access. It literally takes 1/2 hour to go across town on any given day. Stop and go. Stop and go.

It is what it is.
No question, I wasn't suggesting it is a university issue. There are no easy access to a major highway in any direction. The only thing the University could do was to acquire land close to I80 or hwy 218 and build an arena on it. But then you go from fixing the traffic problem to making it even more inconvenient for students to attend.
This is one I never understood. Everyone bitches about how hard it is to get out of events (not just Iowa). Every single major sporting event is going to be a huge pain in the ass to get out of, but yet everyone is in a huge rush to get to their vehicles...for what?

When an event is over we just hang out in the venue until everything has started clearing out. I have no desire to rush to my car and sit in it idling for 30-40 minutes trying to leave the parking lot, moving 6" at a time. This past Friday night my kid and I just sat in the arena for about 40 minutes before heading out to the parking lot. When we walked out and by the time we got to my vehicle, there was no trouble getting out or getting back to Coralville. I've done the deal where you rush with the mob leaving the stadium and you just end up in a parking lot jam for the same amount of time anyway.

Football same thing. We go back to the tailgate and hang out for 90 minutes minimum, sometimes a couple hours. It's either spend those 90 minutes at the relative comfort of the tailgate, or spend that 90 minutes moving 300' down the street wasting gas and getting pissed off.

So my suggestion would be for Iowa to implement a practice that after the 12 minute timeout in the first half that fans are welcome to move down to any open seat (including the padded courtside chair sections. This way if there are only 6-7K fans inside Carver, they will at least be packed in closer to the court to make a louder environment.

Is there anyone stopping people from doing this now? I don't ever see anyone checking tickets.

Iowa fans have proven that you can easily sell out football (7 Saturday games) and Wrestling (mostly Friday nights and Sunday's), but basketball hasn't been consistently sold out for the last 15-20 years.

I think the biggest issue is that a good percentage of season ticket holders (first 20 or so rows from baseline to baseline) do not live in Iowa City. And committing to driving into Iowa City 18 times per season on random Monday nights for a 8:07pm tipoff is tough to manage. Also, I would guess that those ticket holders probably don't try to sell their tickets and just let the seats stay empty.

Part of selling wrestling out is that season tickets are only $85 with no donation. There are people who buy a bunch and only go to a few duals, and they sell the popular ones like Penn State, ISU, Michigan, etc.

Iowa basketball's price per performance ratio is terrible. Somewhat mediocre team most years and season tix are a pretty good chunk of change.

This is one I never understood. Everyone bitches about how hard it is to get out of events (not just Iowa). Every single major sporting event is going to be a huge pain in the ass to get out of, but yet everyone is in a huge rush to get to their vehicles...for what?

This isn't true, I've been to many other sporting events and have never sat in a car not moving for as long as I have trying to get out of Finkbine. You might have it easier getting out of your lot. The game in Indy, for example, was right next to the interstate from the time I got in my car I was in my hotel in 15 minutes (by the airport). Hell even getting out of Wrigley isn't as bad, it's slow but at least my car is usually moving.

When an event is over we just hang out in the venue until everything has started clearing out. I have no desire to rush to my car and sit in it idling for 30-40 minutes trying to leave the parking lot, moving 6" at a time. This past Friday night my kid and I just sat in the arena for about 40 minutes before heading out to the parking lot. When we walked out and by the time we got to my vehicle, there was no trouble getting out or getting back to Coralville. I've done the deal where you rush with the mob leaving the stadium and you just end up in a parking lot jam for the same amount of time anyway.

Football same thing. We go back to the tailgate and hang out for 90 minutes minimum, sometimes a couple hours. It's either spend those 90 minutes at the relative comfort of the tailgate, or spend that 90 minutes moving 300' down the street wasting gas and getting pissed off.

Keep in mind my son is in the HMB so I'm not even leaving the stadium until they do their final march out of Kinnick (I bet most people don't even know they do this), the staff are usually trying to throw us out. After they march out they go to the Rec Center where the drumline does another final performance. By the time I'm getting back to my car it's at least 90 minutes after the game is over (if not longer as I've never checked). Cars are still jammed up using both lanes and hardly moving by the time I get to the lot. I usually go out the Melrose entrance, which usually isn't as jammed up, but if I'm still in line when the opposing teams bus is loaded they literally put up road blocks to keep us from leaving until they go by.

I have your thinking and no hurry to leave as well. Problem is wifey is the opposite and doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather let it clear out.

Football games was never a problem as it was our routine to chill and have a couple drinks after, even sometimes getting the food out again. Of course, the drivers didn't drink at that time.

This isn't true, I've been to many other sporting events and have never sat in a car not moving for as long as I have trying to get out of Finkbine. You might have it easier getting out of your lot. The game in Indy, for example, was right next to the interstate from the time I got in my car I was in my hotel in 15 minutes (by the airport). Hell even getting out of Wrigley isn't as bad, it's slow but at least my car is usually moving.
Our spot is on Myrtle, it's about an 8 minute walk to there from the stadium. We're right up the hill from the Myrtle/Riverside Dr. intersection (which is Hwy 6). You can get out of our spot pretty easy, but no way in hell are you going anywhere once you hit Riverside. That's why we hang out for an hour and a half or maybe a little longer. Id rather pack up and sit in a lawn chair warming some brats up and watching the other B1G games on my neighbor's TV than sit in traffic. I mean, why put yourself through that when you can just relax, and you don't have a lot of choice in the matter anyway.

I've never been to Indianapolis, but I've been to a hell of a lot of other stadiums and arenas, and the vast majority are disasters to get out of. PSU football took us 2 hrs to get out of the parking lot and we drove another 2 hours at about 15 mph

Football games was never a problem as it was our routine to chill and have a couple drinks after, even sometimes getting the food out again. Of course, the drivers didn't drink at that time.
I always cook more brats than what we can eat for breakfast/lunch, and then I just shut the grill off and close the lid. When we get back after the game I just fire it up again on low and we eat 'em for supper while we're packing up. No bun, just a 50/50 mix of Hunt's ketchup and Frank's. Goddammit now I'm hungry.

Is there anyone stopping people from doing this now? I don't ever see anyone checking tickets.
No, but the same fans that bitch about standing up and cheering would probably be the same ones bitching if they thought you didn't "belong" in their section. So if Iowa encouraged and authorized people to move down to better seats then people would do it more.

I always cook more brats than what we can eat for breakfast/lunch, and then I just shut the grill off and close the lid. When we get back after the game I just fire it up again on low and we eat 'em for supper while we're packing up. No bun, just a 50/50 mix of Hunt's ketchup and Frank's. Goddammit now I'm hungry.

Marinated pork on a stick (pre-created) is always good to warm up for after. Don't take long to cook and minimal clean-up. No plates and just throw sticks away.

Our spot is on Myrtle, it's about an 8 minute walk to there from the stadium. We're right up the hill from the Myrtle/Riverside Dr. intersection (which is Hwy 6). You can get out of our spot pretty easy, but no way in hell are you going anywhere once you hit Riverside. That's why we hang out for an hour and a half or maybe a little longer. Id rather pack up and sit in a lawn chair warming some brats up and watching the other B1G games on my neighbor's TV than sit in traffic. I mean, why put yourself through that when you can just relax, and you don't have a lot of choice in the matter anyway.

I've never been to Indianapolis, but I've been to a hell of a lot of other stadiums and arenas, and the vast majority are disasters to get out of. PSU football took us 2 hrs to get out of the parking lot and we drove another 2 hours at about 15 mph

I don't blame you one bit, I'd do the same if I had the amenities of a TV and grill at my disposal, sitting in a car sucks. The first game I parked in the Library lot and I had no problems getting out. But by the time we got to our car the lot was cleared out, the HMB stayed longer after the game to take pictures and stuff.

I haven't been to PSU, honestly I've taken in more baseball games than football in person which is half the crowd of a football game. But getting out of that Finkbine lot is the 2nd longest I've ever had to sit in a car, the parking ramp was the worst. I wish they'd bring back the train as I'm sure it makes a huge difference.

I don't blame you one bit, I'd do the same if I had the amenities of a TV and grill at my disposal, sitting in a car sucks.
But you do! You’re always welcome at our place :cool:

$350 a year for a spot in our lot or $250 for the Mennonite Church spots which is right across the fence. Ours doesn’t have opening/closing hours.

Either way stop down next year sometime.

No, but the same fans that bitch about standing up and cheering would probably be the same ones bitching if they thought you didn't "belong" in their section. So if Iowa encouraged and authorized people to move down to better seats then people would do it more.

I would be so pissed if someone did this. Literally the last game we went too I sat in the front row until someone kicked me out, I got kicked out of my seats twice. No one got mad, the first couple even let us sit in their seats until they got kicked out of the ones they sat in. We wound up sitting in the student section. This was before tipoff, had we waited until after the first or 2nd timeout I doubt anyone would have said anything. After all how do they know I'm not just arriving late to a game?

Granted this was one of those cream puff non conference games, no way would I try this against a real opponent. I'd probably sit in the seats I purchased until the 1st or 2nd timeout, if there were lots of empties available then I'd move. It think it's in the best interest of everyone (the team and fans) to have the bottom seats filled.

It happens a lot in my section. Not huge numbers but it is common. I think it’s fine. I have never seen anyone questioned. In fact, I do not recall ever seeing security personnel at all.