Iowa's worst player!

echo44

The fans!
Being an alumni It is shocking to see Carver empty?
I was there in The BJ Armstrong era. Carver was always packed solid.
Never an empty seat.
Lets be real there isn't that much going on in Iowa that would be more exciting or entertaining
than watching Iowa basketball!

I honestly think many fans are a little down with the way things ended last year. I think most expected better in the BTT and NCAA tournament and with practically the loss of your entire starting players. fans aren’t expecting much from this group.

I kinda look at it differently. A lot of players are getting a chance to learn and grow. It’s always fun to watch this. With a super star like Murray and a bunch of young unproven players that combination could prove to be deadly come tournament times. We need someone like Perkins or Ulis to just explode onto the scene. That would change the whole chemistry of the team and make Iowa very dangerous.

Actually got to give credit to the Iowa center for having a solid game. Now we just need that missing piece, that explosive point guard. Joe looks good times but he just isn’t that go to guard. If he could consistently make a clutch shot like he did that three pointer lat win the game, that would help like crazy. He’s made some improvement (less out of control) when racing down the court. Hands have gotten quicker on stealing the ball.

Bo seems to have trouble creating his own shot. Great shooter when he is open but it seems like more and more he is having trouble getting open.

I agree, I understand the empty seats when they are playing the crappy non conference games but not a Big Ten game.

Having said that I might tag along with my son, who plays in the pep band, next Thursday.

I honestly think many fans are a little down with the way things ended last year. I think most expected better in the BTT and NCAA tournament and with practically the loss of your entire starting players. fans aren’t expecting much from this group.

I kinda look at it differently. A lot of players are getting a chance to learn and grow. It’s always fun to watch this. With a super star like Murray and a bunch of young unproven players that combination could prove to be deadly come tournament times. We need someone like Perkins or Ulis to just explode onto the scene. That would change the whole chemistry of the team and make Iowa very dangerous.

Actually got to give credit to the Iowa center for having a solid game. Now we just need that missing piece, that explosive point guard. Joe looks good times but he just isn’t that go to guard. If he could consistently make a clutch shot like he did that three pointer lat win the game, that would help like crazy. He’s made some improvement (less out of control) when racing down the court. Hands have gotten quicker on stealing the ball.

Bo seems to have trouble creating his own shot. Great shooter when he is open but it seems like more and more he is having trouble getting open.

JoeT had a very good game

He held Fats to 4 points in the second half

He is not a complete point guard and dribbles too much

There are a few times each game that he misses players open on their spots

But he is an essential piece of the puzzle

Tough as nails

And makes clutch plays when we really need them

He had 9 assists tonight and 3 steals

Hawks only had 7 turnovers

Carver is a funeral home. It is a place to go take a nap or knit a sweater. Eat some ice-cream if you can get through the long lines.

I agree with sentiments above. Iowa fans have been burned by Fran (and the other knuckleheads before him, Fraud, and Lackluster) and trust points are low.

Winning the Big Ten or a deep NCAA run would help restore interest. F-ing long over due.

I think Carver's floor needs a makeover. It is just to dark and gloomy...loved the court during the Mr. Davis Era much better. Isn't the court design still left over from the Steve Alfraud years? Ugh, fixed it.

We need to get the students closer to the floor. Let the students in for free, do something, anything. Awesome looking place on the outside, morgue on the inside.

JoeT had a very good game

He held Fats to 4 points in the second half

He is not a complete point guard and dribbles too much

There are a few times each game that he misses players open on their spots

But he is an essential piece of the puzzle

Tough as nails

And makes clutch plays when we really need them

He had 9 assists tonight and 3 steals

Hawks only had 7 turnovers
Man I seem to remember seasons where we averaged almost twice that. And were winning games still. For this team to not be turning it over much (They've been great at it so far) is a true testament to the players. Would anyone have been surprised if JT was averaging 5 TOs a game himself with how he'd looked the last couple yrs? He's not been the perfect PG but he's been better then I'd hoped.

The two things that'll keep this team in games is not turning the ball over and having good shot selection. PM is probably the weak link in that chain as far as shot selection goes at times but for the most part that's a streangth of the teams too

Carver is a funeral home. It is a place to go take a nap or knit a sweater. Eat some ice-cream if you can get through the long lines.

I agree with sentiments above. Iowa fans have been burned by Fran (and the other knuckleheads before him, Fraud, and Lackluster) and trust points are low.

Winning the Big Ten or a deep NCAA run would help restore interest. F-ing long over due.

I think Carver's floor needs a makeover. It is just to dark and gloomy...loved the court during the Mr. Davis Era much better. Isn't the court design still left over from the Steve Alfraud years? Ugh, fixed it.

We need to get the students closer to the floor. Let the students in for free, do something, anything. Awesome looking place on the outside, morgue on the inside.
Kind of hard to get students in the seats at this time due to being on break. Most are at home - away from the campus. Just saying...

The fans!
Never an empty seat.
Lets be real there isn't that much going on in Iowa that would be more exciting or entertaining
Back then tickets were way cheaper relative to a person's disposable income as well.

For a family of four tickets are gonna cost you $120 minimum plus probably $50 if you want some ice cream, hotdogs, and drinks.

Eff that.

Back then tickets were way cheaper relative to a person's disposable income as well.

For a family of four tickets are gonna cost you $120 minimum plus probably $50 if you want some ice cream, hotdogs, and drinks.

Eff that.

...............and I just like my HD flat screen TV too much. I wonder if technology and quality of viewing is to a point people just want to chill at home on a week night after work, with the restroom just 30 ft away. This coupled with the increasing costs that you point out.

I don't like it. I'd like a full and raucous environment, but, that might be just where we are this day in age.

Also, many families who are interested in viewing sports may have kids playing sports. Such as our family, last night I had to DVR the game because my boys were playing freshman b-ball, in an Iowa City school.

So, you may have older people who shy away from going to an 8:00 start game on a cold night. You have families with kids who may have activities going on, like basketball. You see this in week night games.

...............and I just like my HD flat screen TV too much. I wonder if technology and quality of viewing is to a point people just want to chill at home on a week night after work, with the restroom just 30 ft away. This coupled with the increasing costs that you point out.

I don't like it. I'd like a full and raucous environment, but, that might be just where we are this day in age.

Also, many families who are interested in viewing sports may have kids playing sports. Such as our family, last night I had to DVR the game because my boys were playing freshman b-ball, in an Iowa City school.

So, you may have older people who shy away from going to an 8:00 start game on a cold night. You have families with kids who may have activities going on, like basketball. You see this in week night games.
The restroom and concession stuff doesn't bother me. For football I never buy anything when I'm in the stadium. I eat enough at the tailgate to keep me upright and I bring water in. Basketball/wrestling we usually eat something cheap beforehand (we drive a looooong ways so I normally make sandwiches and have apples/bananas/oranges on the trip down), and we get there right as the doors open so concessions have no line if that's what we want. Bathrooms aren't a concern because I usually go right beforehand and I'm good for 2-3 hours.

I think a huge part of it is the design and layout of CHA, plus they make zero effort to get students in. They need to give them free admission and like pizza or something. But...even then, the students can't be next to the court anyway so why go? There's no real way to remodel CHA into something different with its hole-in-the-ground construction either, so we're really just stuck with it.

Yeah, having a 65" 4K TV about 12-14 feet away is going to make it difficult to brave
the weather, cost, and inconvenience of walking to concessions and the restroom

The students at other schools seem to fill the stands with screaming maniacs, but perhaps they just Hate Iowa not unlike Minny

Of course, they also didn't have to deal with the Lick years despite having LittleLink on the team

And Alford the massive prick who thought he could get free tailored suits from an
Iowa City clothier

It is what it is.....

I know you wont want to hear this but how does Iowa State do it? Great loud full crowds for just about all games and it has been that way going back to Johnny. Just a fact.

And for those of you who say replacing a coach can just make things worse again take a look at Iowa State. Lost like 18 in a row last year hire a new coach bring in a couple of really good transfer players and they are a top 10 team. May not end that way but the way they play defense they will be competitive in Big 12 and make the dance. it can be done especially in basketball

I know you wont want to hear this but how does Iowa State do it? Great loud full crowds for just about all games and it has been that way going back to Johnny. Just a fact.
I hate Iowa State just as much as Nebraska, but Hilton is a WAY better venue than CHA for basketball.

Student section right up to the courts instead of way off in BFE as far away from the home bench as you could possibly get, no ridiculous aisles, middle concourse, you name it.

They need to figure out some way rearrange the seating as many of you have pointed out. A few less stairways would be a beginning.

I was disappointed from day one. So excited to have a new stadium but from day one it was never as loud and the lack of student seating up close to the court was obvious.

They need to figure out some way rearrange the seating as many of you have pointed out. A few less stairways would be a beginning.

I was disappointed from day one. So excited to have a new stadium but from day one it was never as loud and the lack of student seating up close to the court was obvious.
I keep hearing the stairways are the villain. Please explain. You want those spaces taken up by seats? We don’t even fill the available seats very often.

I wonder if the fire safety code has requirements about aisles as they do about exits?

I do appreciate the railings in the aisles as a safety measure.

I like the fact that seats are individualized rather than old fashioned benches. And having two paths per aisle makes entry and exit more efficient, right? There is limited elevator access, though that would not be plausible on a large scale.
How could the seating be improved, exactly?

I think it would be great to place the student seating so they can become a better presence for cheering. On the other hand, my grand daughter, a WI student, had to be a lottery pick to get a season ticket for basketball (and football). She was lucky in both cases. And for both sports, she is in the “end zone.”

How about an intelligent, detailed discussion on this topic?
Even if a new arena is preferred, how would it be constructed to solve CHA’s problems? Waiting…

I keep hearing the stairways are the villain. Please explain. You want those spaces taken up by seats? We don’t even fill the available seats very often.

I wonder if the fire safety code has requirements about aisles as they do about exits?
Yes.

It would move what people who are there closer to the court, making it louder and a better environment.

Look at literally any other arena on tv for a P6 game. None of them have the 50% ish ratio of aisle to seats that Carver does. Hell, you could probably eliminate 6-8 rows of seating up to in the nosebleeds if you consolidated the aisles.

You know why opposing players and coaches all say, without exception, that Kinnick is a nightmarish place to play? Because thousands of loud fans are literally right on top of you.

The fans!
Never an empty seat.
I live two hours away from Iowa City and the 8 pm start plus the way they route traffic from Carver makes going to games on a weeknight almost impossible. Can't get home at 2 am and go to work the next day, not any more. I don't know what the excuse is for students or fans in Iowa City. Maybe a better parking and exit plan, better seating for the students, give aways, moving some of the elderly back to the care center instead of courtside so they can watch Matlock or Muder she Wrote, quietly like they want Carver. I got shushed at a day game a year ago. A family brought an infant, why? Fans are aging out and Iowa hasn't tried to find a younger demographic. Students are either culturally indifferent to American sports or just too busy spray painting Nile Kinnick's statue. Rant out.

I live two hours away from Iowa City and the 8 pm start plus the way they route traffic from Carver makes going to games on a weeknight almost impossible. Can't get home at 2 am and go to work the next day, not any more. I don't know what the excuse is for students or fans in Iowa City. Maybe a better parking and exit plan, better seating for the students, give aways, moving some of the elderly back to the care center instead of courtside so they can watch Matlock or Muder she Wrote, quietly like they want Carver. I got shushed at a day game a year ago. A family brought an infant, why? Fans are aging out and Iowa hasn't tried to find a younger demographic. Students are either culturally indifferent to American sports or just too busy spray painting Nile Kinnick's statue. Rant out.
LMAO!

Latest posts