CFP Opinions

I agree, a rematch is boring as hell, especially when those two teams just played, and it's even dumber when the number one priority in seeding teams is avoiding that mismatch, but ultimately I blame the other 63 Power Five football programs for not being able to put together three teams not named Alabama or Georgia to compete in the playoffs. It's not Kirby Smart's fault that Georgia plays in the same conference as Bama. Put them in any of the other four conference and they're 13-0 with a point differential of 250. Maybe they drop a game in the Big Ten. They run the table with ease in the other three. Either way they are in the playoff and nobody is complaining. The other way to alleviate this problem is expansion. But even then, we just get to see blowouts. We get blowouts with some regularity now, with only four playoff teams. The next ten out are other than Ohio State are nowhere close to the top 3. Frankly I think we are going have to see some sort of salary cap-like solution if we want anything approaching parity in this sport going forward.

No but it is their fault for losing the last game of the year. As much as I hate saying this (I hate Alabama) it's really unfair to force Alabama to beat Georgia again for the NC. We can't assume the SEC is that much more stronger than the Big Ten or the other Power 5 conferences, perhaps those schools are just as good but they beat each other up. If the SEC really is all that then let's just crown their conference championship game the national champ.

But of course we don't want to see this happen, we are all going to watch these playoffs hoping to see one of these other schools knock the $EC out. My formula cuts right through that, put all the conference champs in the playoffs in the Power 4 plus 1 from the rest. We don't need a huge 8/16 team playoff scenario to crown a NC, the current system is working but just needs a tweak. My system of advancing the conference champion would actually expand the playoffs since the conference championships would basically wind up being quarterfinal games.

That's ridiculous. Cincinnati is a G5 schools and had the 82nd hardest SOS according to Sagarin, and other sites ranked it even easier than 82nd.

Here's their schedule, which includes a grand total of one team with a pulse...

Miami (OH)
Murray State
Indiana
Notre Dame
Temple
UCF
Navy
Tulane
Tulsa
South Florida
SMU
East Carolina
Houston

Other SOS of note...

Alabama - 7th
Georgia - 35th
Michigan - 31st
Notre Dame - 41st
Oklahoma State - 13th
Ohio State - 21st
Iowa - 22nd

You have to go all the way to Appalachian State in 41st place in the Sagarin rankings to find a team with an easier strength of schedule. Until Cincinnati has to play real football teams in P5, they shouldn't be in the playoffs.
In the real world you get to prove yourself and not get shut out by opinions and numbers alone.

BYU was undefeated and got crowned national champs. Cincy undefeated can't get above the four and be ahead of Michigan? Michigan lost by how many points to MSU? Cincy might just beat MSU.

Always hate that circular argument. Don't want them there. They don't belong. Let them play and then they can prove it or not. Nobody can ever prove it if they don't get the chance. We went from the days when BYU gets voted champions to having playoffs just to shut that type of teams out? Thought the point was to give them a chance to show on the field if they are good enough.

Last edited:
In the real world you get to prove yourself and not get shut out by opinions and numbers alone.

BYU was undefeated and got crowned national champs. Cincy undefeated can't get above the four and be ahead of Michigan? Michigan lost by how many points to MSU? Cincy might just beat MSU.

Always hate that circular argument. Don't want them there. They don't belong. Let them play and then they can prove it or not. Nobody can ever prove it if they don't get the chance. We went from the days when BYU gets voted champions to having playoffs just to shut that type of teams out? Thought the point was to give them a chance to show on the field if they are good enough.
I just wish the committee would stop letting Oklahoma "play and then...prove it or not." Happy they aren't in this year, but getting clowned three of the four times they've made the playoffs (Only one of those was close, and still not a win) should be enough to be done with that experiment for a time.

There’s always teams getting left out. If you let Cincinnati in someone gets left out.

The playoff is bullshit until they allow P5 champs plus at larges that are set with defined criteria.

No choosing anything. If you want in, win your conference and don’t bitch about not making it.

There’s always teams getting left out. If you let Cincinnati in someone gets left out.

The playoff is bullshit until they allow P5 champs plus at larges that are set with defined criteria.

No choosing anything. If you want in, win your conference and don’t bitch about not making it.

Yes! This is my idea, use the conference championship games as the "quarterfinals". If you win you advance to the playoffs. Make the playoffs a 5 team affair with each of the P4 champs getting a spot (B12 gets demoted) and then 1 spot for the non P4 teams. Have to win your conference to qualify.

Yes! This is my idea, use the conference championship games as the "quarterfinals". If you win you advance to the playoffs. Make the playoffs a 5 team affair with each of the P4 champs getting a spot (B12 gets demoted) and then 1 spot for the non P4 teams. Have to win your conference to qualify.
Couldn’t really do 5 or 6 teams because that’d require byes. Make it P5 champs, G5 champ (maybe…they’d get slaughtered by Georgia or Alabama every year), and 2-3 at larges. At larges couldn’t bitch about getting left out because they had an opportunity to control their own destinies to get in (win their conference).

Couldn’t really do 5 or 6 teams because that’d require byes. Make it P5 champs, G5 champ (maybe…they’d get slaughtered by Georgia or Alabama every year), and 2-3 at larges. At larges couldn’t bitch about getting left out because they had an opportunity to control their own destinies to get in (win their conference).

That's defeating the purpose, then you've got conference champs versus $EC. A 5 team playoff field is only adding 1 extra game, the 4 vs 5 winner plays the 1 seed. If you didn't win your conference then too damn bad everyone else goes to bowl games.

Having said that I fully expect them to go to a 8 team playoff and I'll hate it. They are already talking about expanding the playoffs. I think it's stupid because I don't need to see an Alabama destroying a 8 seed.

Having said that I fully expect them to go to a 8 team playoff and I'll hate it. They are already talking about expanding the playoffs. I think it's stupid because I don't need to see an Alabama destroying a 8 seed.
Wasn't the latest plan to go to 12. So the top 4 would get byes then play the winners of that group. So theoretically they could play a 9 seed too and a 4 seed could play the 12 seed.

That's defeating the purpose, then you've got conference champs versus $EC. A 5 team playoff field is only adding 1 extra game, the 4 vs 5 winner plays the 1 seed. If you didn't win your conference then too damn bad everyone else goes to bowl games.

It won’t be too bad.

Being the 8 seed and getting your ass handed to you will be seen as a badge of honor by that FCS cannon fodder. And it should be.

This playoff BS may be the last nail in the coffin that pushed the B1G, ACC , Pac 12 and ND to form their own association and leave the SEC out. I could see the Big 12 joining as well.

This playoff BS may be the last nail in the coffin that pushed the B1G, ACC , Pac 12 and ND to form their own association and leave the SEC out. I could see the Big 12 joining as well.

Meh, we're at the point where if the SEC poached a half a dozen teams like Ohio, Michigan, PSU, Clemson, Florida State and Miami there would be no relevance in the "leftovers" with maybe the exception of USC and Oregon.

Big 12 is dead, they will be left out in the cold. If the B1G, ACC, and P12 were to form their association I think the SEC would just poach whatever was left of the B12 and form a super conference.

Big 12 is dead, they will be left out in the cold. If the B1G, ACC, and P12 were to form their association I think the SEC would just poach whatever was left of the B12 and form a super conference.

Bwahahaha. The SEC wants nothing to do with any of the turds left in the Big 12. Super conference with them? LOL. The biggest issue will be what happens as the ACC's grant of rights winds down. The ACC doesn't make as much money as the B1G or SEC. My guess is the SEC will go after the ACC schools it wants as its next step. As Iowa fans, we need to let Michigan, PSU and Ohio know that we appreciate them, even after they beat us 42-3. Those teams will be on the poach list.

The big problem that I have with at larges that dont have to play a conference championship is exactly that, they get to skip a game against a really tough opponent and slide in to the next round, kind of like what Oregon did to us in the NCAA last year (extenuating circumstances ofc). Completely rewards teams that don't deserve it. IMO they need to have the "at larges" play each other during championship week to determine who faces the conference champs. Logistics of this would be pretty tough though.

The big problem that I have with at larges that dont have to play a conference championship is exactly that, they get to skip a game against a really tough opponent and slide in to the next round, kind of like what Oregon did to us in the NCAA last year (extenuating circumstances ofc). Completely rewards teams that don't deserve it. IMO they need to have the "at larges" play each other during championship week to determine who faces the conference champs. Logistics of this would be pretty tough though.
Let's be honest, though...those at-larges are a non-factor and will get slaughtered by the Alabamas and Georgias in the first round.

You just need some sacrificial lambs to make it a round 8 teams.

Let's be honest, though...those at-larges are a non-factor and will get slaughtered by the Alabamas and Georgias in the first round.

You just need some sacrificial lambs to make it a round 8 teams.
I mean of course that's true now but Alabama won't be at the top forever

That's ridiculous. Cincinnati is a G5 schools and had the 82nd hardest SOS according to Sagarin, and other sites ranked it even easier than 82nd.

Here's their schedule, which includes a grand total of one team with a pulse...

Miami (OH)
Murray State
Indiana
Notre Dame
Temple
UCF
Navy
Tulane
Tulsa
South Florida
SMU
East Carolina
Houston

Other SOS of note...

Alabama - 7th
Georgia - 35th
Michigan - 31st
Notre Dame - 41st
Oklahoma State - 13th
Ohio State - 21st
Iowa - 22nd

You have to go all the way to Appalachian State in 41st place in the Sagarin rankings to find a team with an easier strength of schedule. Until Cincinnati has to play real football teams in P5, they shouldn't be in the playoffs.

I will give Cincy a pass ... they tried to schedule up in their non-conference. They scheduled Indiana (it's not their fault IU was terrible) and ND. Basically, Cincy at ND ended up being an elimination game earlier in the season ... and Cincy won.

Plus, I think Cincy got a little credit for playing Georgia close in their bowl game last year. I feel like it's time to give a team like this a shot over Utah and Pitt (other P5 conference champs).