How scary is it

He threw the ball away a lot more the first 2 games this season and got roasted on the boards for that too. After how last year started, the vocal internet masses were willing to give him 2 inches of leash. If he didn't come out looking like the second coming of Dan Marino he should be benched and the far superior Padilla should be put in because he has an arm like Montana and can run like Walter God Damn Peyton.

The same masses that said we'd be 1-1 at best coming out of our first two games. Bottom line is anyone outside of the locker room wants improvement whether possible or not. Anyone inside the locker room knows what this team is capable of. If they aren't worried we shouldn't be. However, because we're fans and it seems like a legitimate concern the fan base will continue to bring it up.

Be serious. It is a tough fucking job and we are a bunch of know it all arm chair coaches nit picking from our couches. Yes, he has been underwhelming, but look around. For my money, he is the second best QB in the division behind Martinez. Sad but true. Every team in the country thinks their QB should be Patrick Mahommes and bitches when they are not. Most QBs are more like Andy Dalton.
I am serious. I've coached HS sports (not football), but coached my son privately as a QB. Watched Piland from Houston work with his Dad (an attorney) over and over and over on footwork as an 8th grader. Ya it's hard work. So?

When did you ever see one of HFs qbs struggle with footwork?

He does look a bit like Nathan Chandler with his size and speed (or lack of)
Do you guys remember when Chandler absolutely erased a scUM defender (can't remember if it was a DB or LB) on his way to the end zone in '03?

Still one of my favorite Iowa plays of all time.

Do you guys remember when Chandler absolutely erased a scUM defender (can't remember if it was a DB or LB) on his way to the end zone in '03?

Still one of my favorite Iowa plays of all time.
Go to 2:28 for the play:

It's a bit hard to see from the live angle, but #21 got absolutely smoked by Nate on that play. They showed him later in the game on the bench with his pads off, towel over his head, etc.

Petras is the guy.

The only super glaring weakness I see as a non QB coach is that he needs to get rid of the ball sometimes. He's been sacked 9 times but half (or fewer) of them haven't been entirely the OL's fault. If you can't find anyone, it's time to bust out of that pocket a few steps and put the ball in the stands.
Agree, though I’d add that the other glaring issue is that Petras does not go through reads. He locks onto one receiver and has no idea what is going on elsewhere on the field. I think (also as a non-QB coach, obviously) that this has hurt his pocket presence at times, because if he has spent the four seconds since the ball was snapped staring down LaPorta or Jones to his right, he doesn’t see the pass rusher break a block to his left. Had he looked anywhere else we would’ve seen the rusher coming. He’s taken at least a few sacks that I recall that would’ve been obvious throwaways if his cone of vision had moved left of the right hash at all. I think he gets serious tunnel vision at times. Obviously there are also designed screens and if there is an OL that just gets beat at the snap there’s not much Petras can do, but this hasn’t always been the case.

I'm not as down on Petras as I am on Goodson.
To me, he appears to be timid - dancing and going down at the first hint of contact.
If we are looking for improvement, we can look to 1.7 yds per rushing play in the CSU game as the most glaring shortcoming. Not sure it is all on the line either. We need someone like Sargent who can bull his way for 3 yds out of nothing.

I'm not as down on Petras as I am on Goodson.
To me, he appears to be timid - dancing and going down at the first hint of contact.
If we are looking for improvement, we can look to 1.7 yds per rushing play in the CSU game as the most glaring shortcoming. Not sure it is all on the line either. We need someone like Sargent who can bull his way for 3 yds out of nothing.
Candidate for dumbest post of the week, or month.

When would you put him in?
If we are down at half by 2 scores or more, and Petras is struggling, yes, I,d give the kid a shot. Now a question for you: How does the rest of the season look to you if Petras goes out with a broken hand, foot. rib etc... and a backup QB with no experience?

I am serious. I've coached HS sports (not football), but coached my son privately as a QB. Watched Piland from Houston work with his Dad (an attorney) over and over and over on footwork as an 8th grader. Ya it's hard work. So?

When did you ever see one of HFs qbs struggle with footwork?
Well gosh then, why don't we just have KF send Petras your way. I am sure you or your buddy can work with him for a couple hours in your backyard and have all his mechanics worked out in no time! I am sure you have a better approach to solving these issues than a QB coach who has been coaching for 4 decades.

Look, I am confident that KOK constantly works on footwork and drills and I suspect Petras is great in practice. By all accounts, he is a veracious worker. But, like every human, when the bullets start flying and a 320 pound tackle trying to crush you like a tin can, fundamentals can break down. And some guys are better at playing off script, and Petras clearly is not. But just because he struggles under pressure/scramble/off script does not mean that he has not developed since his time at Iowa. He just may have a lower ceiling. No matter how hard he works and how much the coaches coach him, he will never be Aaron Rogers.

But again, I would rather have him than half the QBs in this conference. Have you seen the garbage QB play in Minny/Wisky/Indiana so far this season. If the right plays are called and the OL plays better, Petras is plenty good enough for this team to beat anyone in the conference.

If we are down at half by 2 scores or more, and Petras is struggling, yes, I,d give the kid a shot. Now a question for you: How does the rest of the season look to you if Petras goes out with a broken hand, foot. rib etc... and a backup QB with no experience?
I would say that every year, teams lose a QB to injury and have to replace him with an inexperienced team mate. It’s pretty rare that the replacement has a lot of in game snaps. But, like Padilla, practice reps are a serious focus. Coaches are not dumb. They are fully aware of injuries. Getting game experience for a back up QB is over rated.

Look, I am confident that KOK constantly works on footwork and drills and I suspect Petras is great in practice. By all accounts, he is a veracious worker.
This was covered in multiple threads over the summer. KOK has limited time with Petras at practices and its usually on the playbook and routes. This is why Petras went to a QB guru for several weeks prior to fall practice.

I'm just saying - we would have fucking killed for someone who could complete 65% of his passes and could complete the deep ball the 4 previous seasons with Stanley. In fact, that was the big knock on him right? His low completion percentage and inability to throw a deep pass? Now, the very next QB we have has a high completion percentage and has proven he can throw the deep ball and well, we don't like that either.

My point is, tough crowd with a moving target on what they want. What they want is someone who is perfect and that person doesn't exist. Spencer is playing pretty well and will hopefully continue to do so.
I like my qbs to throw lots of tds and few ints. Stanley was better than Petras is as a qb.

As a leader of men? Give me Petras. Dude has no fear. Much like CJB.