How scary is it

Also, another thing I think is missing from the arsenal are deep outs. NFL type throws. The thing that got Stanley drafted at all was that he had the arm to sling a 20 yard out on a rope at times. Petras has a similar arm. Keegan Johnson has the speed to command a cushion for some deep outs and comebacks.

We need more max protection outs and comebacks.

Very good points. I like the comeback type patterns or sit down in a hole in the zone type patterns because the receiver is very stationary to the QBs eyes, as they are not moving across the field or at big angles.

There are so many of teams in the NFL who have good TEnds and slot receivers who can run these patterns and gain good, easy yardage.

And the short or deep out is a throw Petras can make. He threw a dart to KJohnson in the 2nd qtr of the ISU game.

Petras maybe does need to work on quicker footwork to turn his hips and shoulders on some throws.

Very good points. I like the comeback type patterns or sit down in a hole in the zone type patterns because the receiver is very stationary to the QBs eyes, as they are not moving across the field or at big angles.

There are so many of teams in the NFL who have good TEnds and slot receivers who can run these patterns and gain good, easy yardage.

And the short or deep out is a throw Petras can make. He threw a dart to KJohnson in the 2nd qtr of the ISU game.

Petras maybe does need to work on quicker footwork to turn his hips and shoulders on some throws.

How does he get to be a jr. in college and need so much work?

I would suspect or bet that he has gone to QB camps in the summers since he was in high school and at Iowa. Maybe he has the overall footwork during practice. Is it mental that he tightens up and when he finds an open receiver he is just not quick enough to "hop" with his feet to get his body in a good throwing position? I dont know as I have never seen him in practice.

Did he break all those high school records of Goff's because his team was just so good he had time to throw and guys who could get wide open? I dont know. Many times his Iowa teammate receivers do not get a lot of separation.

I do know at Iowa last year he made some great throws on the run and even moving to his left where he really got his feet, hips, and shoulders turned into the throw. But he also made some terrible throws while moving and a bunch of average throws.

Geez, I hope O'Keefe and his QB camp coaches worked him in a lot of drills to improve changing his throwing position as the attempts to lock onto a different target. And they keep working him on those drills so it becomes quick and natural part of this throwing mechanics.

That apparently every QB we have recruited the past several years are worse than Petras? Yikes!
You do realize there is more to the game than a QB completing 85% of his passes or just throwing the ball, don't you? People that know football really understand what is going on.

The QB in this kind of system has to not turn the ball over and manage the game. You can't have a QB going out there just flinging it and putting your non-rested defense on the field. That is a recipe for a disaster.

Let me touch on another topic, especially to those fans who give BF shit about play calling. Novice fans don't have a freaking clue how it really works. Offense coordinators are 3 steps ahead of the know-it-all fan who just want to see shiny objects/completions. OC's call plays to set up plays later in the game. Maybe the same look and route, the 2nd time Petras does a pump fake then hits the receiver down the field. Even an incompletion can be good and effective. A QB has to throw deep a few times a game to keep the D honest. And no, not every pass is going to be completed. Its a low %.

People should really do their homework to understand the nuances of the game. It's a chess match for 4 hrs.

10-2 as a starter. Very respectable, though certainly not flashy, stat line.

HN: let me tell u what I think this guy's problem is!

Lol.

He's a mid pack P5 grade talent QB playing within an extremely conservative offensive system with poor WR talent. What you see is what you get. You can accept it, or die mad about it.

If you want to do something about it, build a time machine, find a few good "bag men", and then recruit some better WRs over the past few classes. But the answers don't reside at the end of The Finer Points of QB Technique rainbow.

I dont mean to be nasty about our WRs. Like most players in the KF era, they are probably good kids. Hard workers, keep their noses clean (within reason). Like most KF era WRs, they are probably decent downfield blockers (hard to say since that's hard to see on a TV broadcast). But getting open against FBS level DBs? Not their strong suit. Unfortunately, that's also, like, their #1 job.

Petras is the guy.

The only super glaring weakness I see as a non QB coach is that he needs to get rid of the ball sometimes. He's been sacked 9 times but half (or fewer) of them haven't been entirely the OL's fault. If you can't find anyone, it's time to bust out of that pocket a few steps and put the ball in the stands.

Be serious. It is a tough fucking job and we are a bunch of know it all arm chair coaches nit picking from our couches. Yes, he has been underwhelming, but look around. For my money, he is the second best QB in the division behind Martinez. Sad but true. Every team in the country thinks their QB should be Patrick Mahommes and bitches when they are not. Most QBs are more like Andy Dalton.

Lol.

He's a mid pack P5 grade talent QB playing within an extremely conservative offensive system with poor WR talent. What you see is what you get. You can accept it, or die mad about it.

If you want to do something about it, build a time machine, find a few good "bag men", and then recruit some better WRs over the past few classes. But the answers don't reside at the end of The Finer Points of QB Technique rainbow.

I dont mean to be nasty about our WRs. Like most players in the KF era, they are probably good kids. Hard workers, keep their noses clean (within reason). Like most KF era WRs, they are probably decent downfield blockers (hard to say since that's hard to see on a TV broadcast). But getting open against FBS level DBs? Not their strong suit. Unfortunately, that's also, like, their #1 job.
It’s just a mindset thing with some people.
Iowa is a team whose premier unit is their defense and special teams. Does it really matter which one is which?

Our defense has won the last 4 games, bar none. Who cares if it’s the offense winning games or the defense? Doesn’t matter, does it?

Like if we had a true top 5 offense but our defense was highly questionable and we still won games, no one would bitch whatsoever. They’d just roll with it.

It’s no different than how people here keep saying, “At some point the defense is going to lay an egg.” Yup. At some point they will. Just like if the tables were turned and we had a great offense, eventually it would lay an egg. And no one would be all up in a tizzy about it (except for some of the schizos on this board who will regardless).

We’re never going to have both units be exceptional because then we’d be OSU. We ain’t that. Iowa is a defensive team and that’s how we wiN games. Thankfully we have a guy in Tory Taylor who can save us from 3 and outs by putting you back on your own 4 yard line to help out. This team will be ok.

Lol.

Maybe I have this wrong, but I thought our recruiting of wide receivers was getting at least B+grades. In any case, they have been better recruits than in the recent past. Also, we seem to have a group of young receivers who are pushing our veterans. A good passing game takes time, effort, and is pretty nuanced. We have seen some flashes. We will need more.

I was trying to find the pre-season prediction thread, just to compare where we stand now. Just curious is all.

This.... It takes away a big chunk of our playbook that we like to run with the waggle bootlegs. He doesn't have to be Drew Tate back there but being able to do that and hit receivers so they can RAC is huge. He's just really hit or miss accuracy wise overall but especially with those.

That said most of the time when he's able to drop back set his feet and throw on time to an open receiver he puts it on the money. It just usually takes all of that being the case which as we know in football it doesn't always happen. His ability to adlib isn't very good. So the staff is going to have to be creative with their play calling now and then to keep defenses honest.

It's crazy to think this team is looked at as one of the best Iowa teams ever. (maybe) But has one of the least effective offenses we've had during KF era. They've had a small handful of moments but it's fair to say it's the weak link in the chain. We've had more then a few Iowa teams in the past who if they were here now would have Iowa ranked right up there with Bama if not over em.
I wish people would relax about Petras. He is plenty good enough.

It's all about the offensive line. As the OL goes, so goes Iowa. All of the other pieces are in place, in my humble opinion. Iowa's best football is ahead of it this year. I firmly believe that.

Maryland is not a "must win" situation. World War 2 was a "must win." This upcoming game is not.

This team is a good team. Maybe great.....but we won't know that until much later in the season.

It’s just a mindset thing with some people.
Iowa is a team whose premier unit is their defense and special teams. Does it really matter which one is which?

Our defense has won the last 4 games, bar none. Who cares if it’s the offense winning games or the defense? Doesn’t matter, does it?

Like if we had a true top 5 offense but our defense was highly questionable and we still won games, no one would bitch whatsoever. They’d just roll with it.

It’s no different than how people here keep saying, “At some point the defense is going to lay an egg.” Yup. At some point they will. Just like if the tables were turned and we had a great offense, eventually it would lay an egg. And no one would be all up in a tizzy about it (except for some of the schizos on this board who will regardless).

We’re never going to have both units be exceptional because then we’d be OSU. We ain’t that. Iowa is a defensive team and that’s how we wiN games. Thankfully we have a guy in Tory Taylor who can save us from 3 and outs by putting you back on your own 4 yard line to help out. This team will be ok.
You speak the truth, brother.

As a reward, you should treat yourself to one last trip to Henry Doorly before the leaves fall.

I wish people would relax about Petras. He is plenty good enough.

It's all about the offensive line. As the OL goes, so goes Iowa. All of the other pieces are in place, in my humble opinion. Iowa's best football is ahead of it this year. I firmly believe that.

Maryland is not a "must win" situation. World War 2 was a "must win." This upcoming game is not.

This team is a good team. Maybe great.....but we won't know that until much later in the season.
If I were to nit pick I'd substitute the word capable for that one. I think it remains to be seen if he's going to improve his pocket presence. Getting rid of the ball and not taking sacks when in FG range. Making better decisions overall that QBs are always asked to do along with accuracy overall. I'd say he's capable of being good enough. Things may click more and more for him the more games he gets under his belt. And you mentioned it with the Oline if they'd help us run the ball more consistently and protect him it'd help a ton. But if Iowa is to have a really special season and knock on the door of getting in the playoffs he'll have to be good enough. And right now today I don't think has shown that he is yet.

You do realize there is more to the game than a QB completing 85% of his passes or just throwing the ball, don't you? People that know football really understand what is going on.

The QB in this kind of system has to not turn the ball over and manage the game. You can't have a QB going out there just flinging it and putting your non-rested defense on the field. That is a recipe for a disaster.

Let me touch on another topic, especially to those fans who give BF shit about play calling. Novice fans don't have a freaking clue how it really works. Offense coordinators are 3 steps ahead of the know-it-all fan who just want to see shiny objects/completions. OC's call plays to set up plays later in the game. Maybe the same look and route, the 2nd time Petras does a pump fake then hits the receiver down the field. Even an incompletion can be good and effective. A QB has to throw deep a few times a game to keep the D honest. And no, not every pass is going to be completed. Its a low %.

People should really do their homework to understand the nuances of the game. It's a chess match for 4 hrs.
Let's take it a step further. Why on earth would the coaches at Iowa want the QB throwing anything but riskless passes when they are up by two or more scores? Especially when they have the #2 defense in the land?
At times like those the coaches treat the passing game as an extention of the running game. Short, quick, high percentage passes for 5 yards to keep the clock and the chains moving. I think this actually takes the place of pitching the ball to the outside.

Where they get into trouble is when the recievers/rbs get the dropsies or the QB gets the skips.

Petras is the guy.

The only super glaring weakness I see as a non QB coach is that he needs to get rid of the ball sometimes. He's been sacked 9 times but half (or fewer) of them haven't been entirely the OL's fault. If you can't find anyone, it's time to bust out of that pocket a few steps and put the ball in the stands.
He threw the ball away a lot more the first 2 games this season and got roasted on the boards for that too. After how last year started, the vocal internet masses were willing to give him 2 inches of leash. If he didn't come out looking like the second coming of Dan Marino he should be benched and the far superior Padilla should be put in because he has an arm like Montana and can run like Walter God Damn Peyton.

It's all about the offensive line. As the OL goes, so goes Iowa.

This is the important point, OLine, for how your QB plays, most college qbs. Logically, if the hawks had an all-time all american offensive line with gallery, bulaga, and 3 to 5 other superstars we have had, and if the hawks were running the ball at a 7-8 ypc clip with big chunk plays like in 2002 and 2003, then the QB would be almost invisible as a handoff machine. The only times the fans would really notice is if he muffed the snap or the handoff or once in a while had to pass the ball.

Running the football down an opponents throat to total domination and to totally tire them out is the surest way to win football games. Fumbles would be the only problem but if you have to chuck 50 passes in the air even some good teams have problems doing that more than once in a while.

I remember a late '80s Fry squad that was not a good run stopping bunch. Even Indiana under Mallory brought a squad into kinnick and just ran all over them for the win.

Not sure the other functions of the game, but I'll take a QB that completes 85% of his passes any day of the week.

Latest posts