How scary is it

hawk52

That apparently every QB we have recruited the past several years are worse than Petras? Yikes!

Spencer has been completing > 65% of his passes the last two games and shown he can throw deep. That’s a giant leap and step up from Nate Stanley
He has been ok. Far better than the O line.

Positives: Good arm strength (which helps on throws like the LaPorta TD vs Kent State), and over the past year he has developed great touch on the deep ball - he gets so much loft on the pass that it's all but impossible for the DB to make a play. Also his size really helps because he can make a throw with defenders in his face (as long as he doesn't have to reset his feet) - Herbstreit pointed this out on one of the throws in the ISU game. And he and Linderbaum make a pretty automatic combination for 1 yard and in sneaks.

Negatives: Least mobile QB of the Ferentz era because not only is he no running threat, he cannot throw accurately if he is moving his feet at all (witness the throw in the dirt to a wide open Charlie Jones). Doesn't really move through progressions. Loses some of that touch on shorter routes. I am not sure I have seen him throw a single slant, although I suppose that route isn't a big part of the Iowa playbook anyway.

Hawks have had qb issues about every year. Stats do lie. Mostly it's mechanics...lack of teaching them. Then there was cj who got demolished no fault of his own. It's the system.

We don’t know this, Kirk is very loyal to QBs. It takes a lot to bench a guy. As it should, as you basically are telling the guy to transfer at that point so you better be damn sure.

I don’t think you bench him until he starts turning it over a lot or we go on a losing streak.

We don’t know this, Kirk is very loyal to QBs. It takes a lot to bench a guy. As it should, as you basically are telling the guy to transfer at that point so you better be damn sure.

I don’t think you bench him until he starts turning it over a lot or we go on a losing streak.
Imagine benching him, then losing two games. Even if the replacement has awesome numbers, fans would eat Kirk alive, and you really risk losing the locker room.

Spencer has been completing > 65% of his passes the last two games and shown he can throw deep. That’s a giant leap and step up from Nate Stanley
I'm just saying - we would have fucking killed for someone who could complete 65% of his passes and could complete the deep ball the 4 previous seasons with Stanley. In fact, that was the big knock on him right? His low completion percentage and inability to throw a deep pass? Now, the very next QB we have has a high completion percentage and has proven he can throw the deep ball and well, we don't like that either.

My point is, tough crowd with a moving target on what they want. What they want is someone who is perfect and that person doesn't exist. Spencer is playing pretty well and will hopefully continue to do so.

Last edited:
Let's bench a QB on a 10 game winning streak. LOL.

He is getting better. SLOOOOWLY

I'd like to see BF call some early QB draws/keeps to get Spencer into the game and calmed down. Taking that first hit as a runner is better than getting trucked by a DL. And, its a play that can work and will hold the LBs.

Beyond that, we need some play action boot to get him out of the pocket. I know he is not great on the run, but he can complete an arrow or cross.

We need from Spencer:

60% completion
240 yards passing
4 quality scrambles or designed runs to keep them honest
No turnovers
3 sacks or less.
2 TDs

Spencer and this offense are capable of doing this, and most games, that will be all we need to win.

Also, another thing I think is missing from the arsenal are deep outs. NFL type throws. The thing that got Stanley drafted at all was that he had the arm to sling a 20 yard out on a rope at times. Petras has a similar arm. Keegan Johnson has the speed to command a cushion for some deep outs and comebacks.

We need more max protection outs and comebacks.

He has been ok. Far better than the O line.

Positives: Good arm strength (which helps on throws like the LaPorta TD vs Kent State), and over the past year he has developed great touch on the deep ball - he gets so much loft on the pass that it's all but impossible for the DB to make a play. Also his size really helps because he can make a throw with defenders in his face (as long as he doesn't have to reset his feet) - Herbstreit pointed this out on one of the throws in the ISU game. And he and Linderbaum make a pretty automatic combination for 1 yard and in sneaks.

Negatives: Least mobile QB of the Ferentz era because not only is he no running threat, he cannot throw accurately if he is moving his feet at all (witness the throw in the dirt to a wide open Charlie Jones). Doesn't really move through progressions. Loses some of that touch on shorter routes. I am not sure I have seen him throw a single slant, although I suppose that route isn't a big part of the Iowa playbook anyway.
This.... It takes away a big chunk of our playbook that we like to run with the waggle bootlegs. He doesn't have to be Drew Tate back there but being able to do that and hit receivers so they can RAC is huge. He's just really hit or miss accuracy wise overall but especially with those.

That said most of the time when he's able to drop back set his feet and throw on time to an open receiver he puts it on the money. It just usually takes all of that being the case which as we know in football it doesn't always happen. His ability to adlib isn't very good. So the staff is going to have to be creative with their play calling now and then to keep defenses honest.

It's crazy to think this team is looked at as one of the best Iowa teams ever. (maybe) But has one of the least effective offenses we've had during KF era. They've had a small handful of moments but it's fair to say it's the weak link in the chain. We've had more then a few Iowa teams in the past who if they were here now would have Iowa ranked right up there with Bama if not over em.

For me, personally, Petras has shown he can hit the passes that matter in the moment we need it. There were times in the CSU game that felt like we could score at will and we simply weren't (for whatever reason). I agree with the synopsis that he's getting better and that's important. We didn't really get that with Stanley. His ceiling was low. And yeah, the oline play hasn't been the greatest so hopefully they can stay healthy and gel real soon. Like this week "soon" would be nice!

Also, I'm blown away at the depth of talent on the Dline. Probably the most surprising thing of the season for me thus far.

For the 2nd week in a row KF has mentioned players pressing too hard. I think of 'trying too hard' or 'playing tight'. Not the kind of guidance I've come to expect from KF. He wants them to prepare hard and focus without binding themselves up.

I like that.

Attacking Offense Petras = good.
Turtle Time Offense Petras = not so good.

We haven't seen a game this season where we played attacking offense for 4 qtrs.

I was pleasantly surprised on how well Spencer played from behind in the second half.

I'm just saying - we would have fucking killed for someone who could complete 65% of his passes and could complete the deep ball the 4 previous seasons with Stanley. In fact, that was the big knock on him right? His low completion percentage and inability to throw a deep pass? Now, the very next QB we have has a high completion percentage and has proven he can throw the deep ball and well, we don't like that either.

My point is, tough crowd with a moving target on what they want. What they want is someone who is perfect and that person doesn't exist. Spencer is playing pretty well and will hopefully continue to do so.
Goalposts are motorized and get 20 mpg at this point

Latest posts