Clone hate is brutal

I went through their game thread on Saturday night and it was a let down. They did bash their team, but their assessment was very accurate. They were mad at Campbell for trying to out-Ferentz Ferentz. They were very complimentary of our defense and kept talking about how they were getting out-coached. Also talked about how the biggest difference between the two teams is that we're so much more disciplined than them. They ripped on Purdy pretty good and loved the benching but still think he's the guy going forward. I was disappointed in the lack of delusion.
I was over there for a while yesterday. I thought thier delusion was alive and well. Quite a few posters still trying to make the case that they were really "the better team". Based on our 173 total yards, mostly. Oh, and their '85 Bears defense....

I was over there for a while yesterday. I thought thier delusion was alive and well. Quite a few posters still trying to make the case that they were really "the better team". Based on our 173 total yards, mostly. Oh, and their '85 Bears defense....
I don't doubt it did get pretty bad. I was just disappointed in the calmness of the game thread. It was still fun though.

I'm still in favor of dropping it, though.

Dropping it after 6 in a row would be pretty hilarious. And it's a perfect time to drop it. ISU's conference is going to be fading into obscurity and it would be a great "official" excuse. We can act like we're above playing their team every year. Which I suppose we are for right now.
Ya, the game will be meaningless to us with no upside but a W in the win column. Like playing UNI, but UNI is a better deal for us.

I went through their game thread on Saturday night and it was a let down. They did bash their team, but their assessment was very accurate. They were mad at Campbell for trying to out-Ferentz Ferentz. They were very complimentary of our defense and kept talking about how they were getting out-coached. Also talked about how the biggest difference between the two teams is that we're so much more disciplined than them. They ripped on Purdy pretty good and loved the benching but still think he's the guy going forward. I was disappointed in the lack of delusion.
I expected a major melt-down like mine yesterday watching the Viking game. I was screaming conspiracy theories, Vegas interference, and divine retribution. Lost my mind for a while.....still.

All their fan base has is garbage like the kkkk thing. Their conference is on the verge of being tossed on the garbage heap along with recruiting. All good news for Iowa.

It is a little funny. There was quite the "why don't we drop the series?" buzz around HN during the 5 year McCarney run. "Nothing to gain, everything to lose" kind of thing. I think now, as then, that there is an element of frustration-based exaggeration to that, but I think you can probably make a decent fact-based case that, in direct material terms, historically over the years Iowa has lost more from losing to ISU than we've gained by beating them.

CryFan wanting to drop the series because they can't figure out how to beat us though? That's just sad.

I’ve been saying it through the recent winning streak. This is probably the first year Iowa has ever gotten anything out of beating the Clones, and that’s probably because people had them over rated. Every other year beating the Clones is an after thought, it’s a game Iowa is supposed to win while losing to the Clones is devastating. Iowa doesn’t need the game, they will fill Kinnick regardless of who they are playing while Iowa State needs this game. They need it to sell tickets and too put eyeballs on a football program that desperately needs the attention.

From a fan perspective, at least from mine, beating Iowa State is more of a relief than anything.

I was just disappointed in the calmness of the game thread. It was still fun though.
Whip a dog enough times and it will eventually learn to just take it quietly instead of growling and barking.

For clarity, I'm a huge dog lover (animals in general are much better beings than humans) and would never do anything remotely like that, but ISU fans are lower than dogs on that particular totem pole. I'll take joy in their pity and rage any day.

Left out how poorly officiated the game was and blatant the defensive holding calls were that led to our ints.

I’ve been saying it through the recent winning streak. This is probably the first year Iowa has ever gotten anything out of beating the Clones, and that’s probably because people had them over rated. Every other year beating the Clones is an after thought, it’s a game Iowa is supposed to win while losing to the Clones is devastating. Iowa doesn’t need the game, they will fill Kinnick regardless of who they are playing while Iowa State needs this game. They need it to sell tickets and too put eyeballs on a football program that desperately needs the attention.

From a fan perspective, at least from mine, beating Iowa State is more of a relief than anything.
The fact that in the polls and on paper (questionable) they appeared to have the better team this year made crushing the hopes and dreams of ISU fans more enjoyable then most. They always feel they're the better team and its their year, but going into the game this year they actually may have actually believed on more than just the surface.

The fact that in the polls and on paper (questionable) they appeared to have the better team this year made crushing the hopes and dreams of ISU fans more enjoyable then most. They always feel they're the better team and its their year, but going into the game this year they actually may have actually believed on more than just the surface.

Yeah, there is some truth to that. It would be odd to be a fan of a team and not feel like your team is better than the opponent, although if Iowa ever lineup against Alabama there is no way I would feel like that but that's an extreme example. But it's mostly about wanting to beat "big brother", deep down ISU fans know their place nationally and even in their own state they are behind Iowa so beating Iowa gives them extra pleasure.

This year was different, after the run they had last year they truly believed they were better than Iowa. For the first time since the 70s they didn't have the little brother syndrome. This was only the 2nd time ever that the teams faced each other where ISU was ranked higher than Iowa (only the 2nd time ISU was even ranked). So I think you have that part nailed. For the first time I can remember I didn't expect Iowa to win against Iowa State (I wasn't a Hawkeye fan back in the 70s).

In watching the replay, Iowa is clearly the better team but Iowa State is also a very good team with an excellent defense. They are going to win a bunch of games in a weak Big 12 this year (in fact, I could actually see them running the table).

If that happens, this will be one of those rare years where a win over Iowa State will help Iowa in the rankings during the entire season.

Left out how poorly officiated the game was and blatant the defensive holding calls were that led to our ints.
Yes, there were a lot of those. Big 10 refs...called things once the game was out of reach to even it up...why do we always have Big 10 refs for this game and never Big 12 refs (which alway do the game in IC).

Whip a dog enough times and it will eventually learn to just take it quietly instead of growling and barking.
The game is like sex.

An Iowa win is like before marriage, you know you'll get it often and you know it will be good, but now exactly how good.

An Iowa State win is like after marriage, you really hope for it and think "this is the time" and never give up trying even though it won't do any good.

They are such forward thinkers.

Yea, when you have a Taylor who is kicking it within 10 yard line and making long drives, they are going to get more yards than Iowa. Iowa was left with a short field so of course the yards stat is going to be slanted a bit to the team having to go the more yards. This is why the 173 for a game won by double-digits is such a weird stat that game.

Last edited:
I don't doubt it did get pretty bad. I was just disappointed in the calmness of the game thread. It was still fun though.
Biggest thing I noticed was the constant whining about the refs. There was plenty of uncalled holds against ISU too. Then there's the always delusion phrases like "ackshually if you take away all their scoring drives than we would have won the game!"

They are such forward thinkers.

Yea, when you have a Taylor who is kicking it within 10 yard line and making long drives, they are going to get more yards than Iowa. Iowa was left with a short field so of course the yards stat is going to be slanted a bit to the team having to go the more yards. This is why the 173 for a game one by double-digits is such a weird stat that game.
Agree, but wouldn't you be wildly frustrated if your favorite team was "Ferentzed"? Would be a painful way to lose. Worse than the Hawks getting NWed every other year or so. Winning by Ferentzing is sometimes maddening. Losing attempting to Ferentz others is... well...

Biggest thing I noticed was the constant whining about the refs. There was plenty of uncalled holds against ISU too. Then there's the always delusion phrases like "ackshually if you take away all their scoring drives than we would have won the game!"

This has become a Clown tradition. Most of us will bitch about refs at some point in game threads but they take it to a whole new level.

The game is like sex.

An Iowa win is like before marriage, you know you'll get it often and you know it will be good, but now exactly how good.

An Iowa State win is like after marriage, you really hope for it and think "this is the time" and never give up trying even though it won't do any good.
Sorry about your sex life. Mine isn't comparable in the least. I'd give up an Iowa football game...