People Who Yell, "PASS!!!" From The Stands...

Fryowa

Administrator
Watched the B1G in 60 last night for the MSU - NW game. There were roughly 78 people in the stands so you could hear pretty much everything on TV. There's something that needs to be said, folks, and there need to be consequences for these assbags.

People in the stands yelling PASS! every time the quarterback drops back (and I know there are some of you here)...you're idiots. You should never be allowed to attend a football game, ever. You are right up there with adult males wearing jerseys and people who tell everyone to sit down because they can't see.

Here's a little information for you douche canoe "PASS!" yellers...

1) These are D-1 football players. They know it's a pass a long time before you do. No help needed from some fat guy wearing Skechers.

2) They can't hear you anyway.

If it would help your team to yell PASS! every time a QB dropped back, I can guarantee you Phil Parker would have a megaphone with flashing lights yelling PASS! This isn't your high school's football team or some 3rd grade bobble head game with kids running in random directions because they cant see out of their helmets. They don't need you to help. The real reason you do it is because you're insecure enough in your own football knowledge that you feel the need to scream it so everyone around you knows that you're Bill Belichick 2.0 and that you "read the play" before anyone else. Everyone knows that's why you do it, so save your breath. We don't need you to prove to us that you spent one year as an assistant coach for a 10u rec league team that your own kid was on, and that you had your own whistle and everything.

Don't be that guy.

Watched the B1G in 60 last night for the MSU - NW game. There were roughly 78 people in the stands so you could hear pretty much everything on TV. There's something that needs to be said, folks, and there need to be consequences for these assbags.

People in the stands yelling PASS! every time the quarterback drops back (and I know there are some of you here)...you're idiots. You should never be allowed to attend a football game, ever. You are right up there with adult males wearing jerseys and people who tell everyone to sit down because they can't see.

1) These are D-1 football players. They know it's a pass a long time before you do. No help needed from some fat guy wearing Skechers.

If it would help your team to yell PASS! every time a QB dropped back, I can guarantee you Phil Parker would have a megaphone with flashing lights yelling PASS! This isn't your high school's football team or some 3rd grade bobble head game with kids running in random directions because they cant see out of their helmets. They don't need you to help. The real reason you do it is because you're insecure enough in your own football knowledge that you feel the need to scream it so everyone around you knows that you're Bill Belichick 2.0 and that you "read the play" before anyone else. Everyone knows that's why you do it, so save your breath. We don't need you to prove to us that you spent one year as an assistant coach for a 10u rec league team that your own kid was on, and that you had your own whistle and everything.

Don't be that guy.
Get off Fry's lawn you little whippersnappers!! He will spray you with the hose next time!

You also hear "Throw the ball" quite often after the home team runs the ball up the middle on first or second down for very little or no gain.

It's not quite the same thing, but the fan yelling it is trying to tell the coach how to call plays.

I've been guilty of it more than once.

You also hear "Throw the ball" quite often after the home team runs the ball up the middle on first or second down for very little or no gain.

It's not quite the same thing, but the fan yelling it is trying to tell the coach how to call plays.

I've been guilty of it more than once.
This is the one I hate. It's tough to break tendencies if you don't establish tendencies (with formation, motion, direction, play call, etc.). It ain't Tecmo.

Don't be that guy.
I've been a HS DC for 24 years. Every time I yell "pass" at our games. I don't think I've ever yelled it at an Iowa game, so they can't say that it's a habit...unless they're weak-minded. Wait, I think that's what you just said.

The shade at thrown at jersey wearing was unnecessary, I will continue to buy my overpriced NFL Pro Shop gear, otherwise this is a high quality post.

I don't yell "pass" but I'm the guy pointing out the wide open receivers even though the QB can't see or hear me. I've been also known to say "get him" when the opposing QB drops back for a pass, heck I'll even yell "tackle him" when the opposing runningback takes the handoff. There are other fans who yell other things or just sit there knitting a sweater, doesn't phase me one bit. If someone does yell "PASS" I don't give a damn because I'm probably yelling "get him".

I got an idea, this might be new age, but how about we let other people fan however they want too and I'll do the same? If you can ignore the guy who yells "hey blue, get some glasses" then for sure you can ignore someone yelling "PASS" at a football game.

I have been known to urge our running backs on by yelling "Run!" repeatedly once they get past the line of scrimmage. Because, duh, what else are they going to do?

Fry might be right that for all intent purposes they will not specifically hear what you are saying, but making noise helps to contribute to make the home field more intimidatingly inmho (whether your team is on offense or defense). Sure beats sitting back and knitting a sweater. Engagement can be a good thing.

Last edited:
I've been a HS DC for 24 years. Every time I yell "pass" at our games. I don't think I've ever yelled it at an Iowa game, so they can't say that it's a habit...unless they're weak-minded. Wait, I think that's what you just said.
How does someone with this level of experience and, presumably, expertise make it even 5 minutes on a public football message board? I would have assumed the abject stupidity would have given you a major stroke within the first 2 minutes.

How does someone with this level of experience and, presumably, expertise make it even 5 minutes on a public football message board? I would have assumed the abject stupidity would have given you a major stroke within the first 2 minutes.
I used to get into the x's and o's with people, but I got into a major "tiff" with Jon Miller when he was here and almost got banned. I even backed things up with video and he accused me of cherry-picking, etc. He knew nothing about what I was talking about, so I finally dropped it. I don't really get into much of that stuff anymore. I'm not trying to say that I think I'm an expert, but over the years, I've coached with some great coaches, been to clinics, etc. with great coaches and have picked up a lot from them and from just coaching.

If you read enough of my stuff, it's mostly sarcasm or for fun. It's one way I relax. Speaking of needing to relax, my freshmen are coming to my classroom right now, so I had better go. :(

Don't be that guy.

Well F'n said! Lol.

I used to get into the x's and o's with people, but I got into a major "tiff" with Jon Miller when he was here and almost got banned. I even backed things up with video and he accused me of cherry-picking, etc. He knew nothing about what I was talking about, so I finally dropped it. I don't really get into much of that stuff anymore. I'm not trying to say that I think I'm an expert, but over the years, I've coached with some great coaches, been to clinics, etc. with great coaches and have picked up a lot from them and from just coaching.

If you read enough of my stuff, it's mostly sarcasm or for fun. It's one way I relax. Speaking of needing to relax, my freshmen are coming to my classroom right now, so I had better go. :(
This board is all in fun, but it is easy to get caught up in it. Most of the football coaches I've known are very hesitant to correct people when they hear something really stupid (which I'm guilty of quite a bit). They just don't want to embarrass people.

The average fan thinks they have all of the answers when watching a game. I've certainly been "that guy."

And even great game plans by excellent coaches don't always work. As the great Woody Hayes once said: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

The other Woody quote that I love: "Nothing cleanses the soul like getting your butt whipped."

Latest posts