Merged - Big 12 Aftermath Thread

If NCAA secession is the endgame, are we using an outdated idea of conferences? Will the B1G/ACC/P12 exist as separate entities in a breakaway league?

Dont have the tweet handy, but @brucefeldmancfb is saying there may be a Pac12/Big12 merger into a 20 team super league.

The B1G better get busy or they are going to miss the boat.

And no to KU and ISU. That goes against everything they said when they invited Maryland and Rutgers.

But the pickings are slim right now.

Point taken... the pickens will be slim. Passing on the horrible academics(sarcasm) of ksu, ku, and osu (the other)....... Big must hold to standards.

Maybe the Big could be divided by:
Low Academics - Iowa, KSU, ISU, KU, OSU, MSU, Nebby and IU

Hi Academics (everyone else) but PSU which will then join the ACC.

We can have a hi and low All Big Academics.

After all academics matters~

Everything else aside, from a rivalry standpoint, I would't mind bringing KU and ISU into the Big Ten.
Dont have the tweet handy, but @brucefeldmancfb is saying there may be a Pac12/Big12 merger into a 20 team super league.

The B1G better get busy or they are going to miss the boat.

And no to KU and ISU. That goes against everything they said when they invited Maryland and Rutgers.

But the pickings are slim right now.

So what is B1G suppose to do? They can jerk Norte Dame off so many times. If Michigan was in a better spot football wise, maybe you could sell it.

The B1G is in a bad spot here. You think Kevin Warren can convince Clemson, North Carolina or even Virginia to jump ship? I don’t. I am not sure what the B1G move is here.

Not sure a Big-XII sans OKie and Tx really cares?

Why?

12 team playoff....that's why.

Every conference will get a reservation at the trough and then some.

Compete and win in a watered-down conference and you're dining at the trough. Simple math.

Bowl games...who cares. The end game is the playoffs.

The genie is out of the bottle. 16 teams is on the horizon as well.

OMFG...I hope there is no way this is true. Not sure who this guy is, but apparently he was correct in saying Leipold was going to be the next Kansas coach after Miles was fired.

Mike Vernon
@M_Vernon

There is a sense that Iowa State is involved with the Big Ten as well. KU has the head start here and would be trying to bring ISU along, if anything.

BG0GMDBX_mini.jpg

Mike Vernon

@M_Vernon
KU REALIGNMENT HEARINGS: KU has a call set up with the Big Ten.
.........and others are singing that song.

Big 12 leftovers alone will not work. Raid the ACC. Screw Notre Dame try and convince Clemson to jump ship. Have them partner up with Carolina, Virginia or whoever. Time for Kevin Warren to start earning his paycheck

A lot of dominoes need to fall before we start seriously talking about this, but Colorado coming to the Big Ten would be fricking awesome. So many people out here from Big Ten country, it'd be wild. On the other hand, a lot of people here from California too, so maybe Pac 12 makes more sense. On the other other hand, Californians could give two shots about college football, so...maybe!

Right about now…I’m wishing Delaney was still in charge. According to some OSU guys I was reading earlier, Gene Smith was on the advisory committee when commissioner candidates were being vetted and he said that Warren was not on the list of candidates they provided the presidents. WTF

I don’t know who or what Buckeyescoop.com is but they’re saying USC/UCLA/Oregon/Colorado are very interested in joining the B1G. If that’s even close to having some truth, I don’t hate it since ACC schools are pretty much a nonstarter

As a fan it wouldn't bother me if Iowa State was in the Big Ten but it makes no sense to add them. They offer zero revenue to the BTN, adding them would mean smaller shares for the rest of the schools. They are fine academically but I don't think they are a match for the BTAA

I agree, it would be ok with me but I can't see the Big Ten being ok with it. For Iowa it makes ooc scheduling easier because ISU would now be a conference game every year. IOWA could even play ISU on Black Friday every year while Neb plays Kansas.

B10 would geologically b the most natural fit however I don’t think it would b good for the Hawks. There are only 3 states in the B10 that have 2 B10 schools in them. Michigan, Indiana, & Illinois. Indiana’s population is 6.7 million. Michigan is 9.9 million. Illinois is 12.6 million. Iowa’s population..............a mire 3.1 million. I don’t think having both schools in the same conference would b a good thing.

I agree, it would be ok with me but I can't see the Big Ten being ok with it. For Iowa it makes ooc scheduling easier because ISU would now be a conference game every year. IOWA could even play ISU on Black Friday every year while Neb plays Kansas.

hmmmm, good idea on the Nebraska/Kansas matchup. At least one of them walks away with a win!

Iowa/ISU and Kansas/Nebraska on Black Friday actually has an appeal.

B10 would geologically b the most natural fit however I don’t think it would b good for the Hawks. There are only 3 states in the B10 that have 2 B10 schools in them. Michigan, Indiana, & Illinois. Indiana’s population is 6.7 million. Michigan is 9.9 million. Illinois is 12.6 million. Iowa’s population..............a mire 3.1 million. I don’t think having both schools in the same conference would b a good thing.

It could work if you sweet talk Notre Dame or maybe Clemson into joining the conference. It feels like you have to raid the ACC in order to take the Big 12 leftovers.

As a fan it wouldn't bother me if Iowa State was in the Big Ten but it makes no sense to add them. They offer zero revenue to the BTN, adding them would mean smaller shares for the rest of the schools. They are fine academically but I don't think they are a match for the BTAA.

Kansas, however, is a perfect match. You add in their geography footprint and I would think they pay for themselves adding the Kansas City and Wichita markets. But Kansas is also well known for their cancer research so they would be a great fit on the academic side with the Big Ten cancer research consortium.

I would think if the Big Ten is looking to add they'd add a member on the eastern side along with one on the western side. Virginia?

Is that a sexy sell to Ohio St.? Virginia and Kansas? Remember this is all about football. All of this would be a lot easier if Penn. St. and Michigan were a legit threat to OSU. Then you could absorb Kansas, ISU or whoever.

We definitely need a change away from the current league names.

What do the MD and Rutgers names have in common with the Midwest-based B1G?
Texas is about SEC in geography as W Virginia is to the Big-XII.

Might as well call the new super conferences 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Can’t. Notre Dame is bound to the ACC if they decide to join a conference.

I get that. I'm not an expert on contract law, but I am sure there are loopholes lawyers can find somewhere that if Carolina, Clemson, Notre Dame, etc. want out they can get out. It may be pricey, but they can get out.